Quote i got from machinist

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
aight guys, i took the block to the machine shop to check my stuff out, hes checked a few things on it and gave me this quote on what he recommends.

if yall could tell me what ya think bout it and what i SHOULD go with that would be sweet. i dont got a TON of money and am trying to budget this build with solid results. that and christmas is killing my bank account.

he quoted me bout $1015.00

block - tank 32.50

(de or re?) deglaze cylds 45.00

(cant really read this one) RHR (bags?) and plugs 36.00

linehone w/arp 185.00

surface 70.00

rods-resize w/arps 90.00

crank - clean, ck and polish 35.00

pistons - clean and ck 30.00

timing cover clean 7.00

main studs 120.00

rod bolts 64

coat pistons (around 100)

balance job 175.00

aux bags(?) 19.00

plugs 6.00

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
The prices for the machine work isn't all that bad. But what did you do to have the guy line hone your mains? Resizing rods? Did you run the engine bone dry of oil? And this quote is to machine and reassemble your shortblock? That wouldn't be too bad if it was to do the shortblock.

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
well its just a quote from him.. i havent gave him the final word yet to go ahead and do it. he checked it all out already. and its not for reassembly, ill be doing that.

as for the condition of the engine, it was running fine when i pulled it expect for a loose exhaust mani. when i checked all the rod bearings only one was really messed up with some pitting but it hadent knocked yet but there were some shavings in there. so i dont even know what half that stuff on the quote is though.

you guys recommend anything?

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
you may already know most of this but just some quick info:

(de or re?) deglaze cylds 45.00

need to bore to round again so you will know what size your pistons will need to be. this has to be done first so you will know if a over size is necessary.

(cant really read this one) RHR (bags?) and plugs 36.00

i think thats to Remove and Replace the freeze plugs. for 36.00

linehone w/arp 185.00

how did he determine you need to line hone? i am sure he has the special tools required to do so. could be a nice job to do if necessary.

surface 70.00

make sure it is a smooth enough surface. if you can feel it with your fingernail your way too rough for a MHG. 20 RA is a very good deck surface.

rods-resize w/arps 90.00

rod ends may not be exactly round anymore. this is a good thing to have done. I also destressed my rods and had them shotpeened. shotpeened was $7 ea. destressing was by grinding off the casting flash on the edges.

crank - clean, ck and polish 35.00

pistons - clean and ck 30.00

timing cover clean 7.00

main studs 120.00

rod bolts 64

coat pistons (around 100)

coat with what? some kind of moly coating on the sides? not a bad idea. i had my pistons coated with gold coat on top and PC9 a moly coat all from Swain tech.

balance job 175.00

balance is a must in my opinion. my first crank needed some metal cut off but my last one was balanced within a gram from toyota. you will need to have crank, rods, pistons, timing gear, balancer pulley, flywheel, PP all balanced. all my components are zero balanced so when i replace one it will all still be in balance still.

aux bags(?) 19.00

dont know what that is.

when rod, crank and mains are done then you can determine what size bearings to use.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Any time you go from a bolt to a stud on the mains you need it to be checked. If he checked it your lucky. You usually need to align bore it to make everything straight again. I take it your reusing your old pistons. As long as he checked the cyls. for out of round it will be fine. Otherwise you will need it bored to make it cleen up and new pistons.

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
Dont forget to get your rear timing belt cover cut when he cuts the block deck.. Or you could have BHG soon after rebuid.

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
hes cutting the timing cover. hes done tons of 7m's and lots of people trust him. so i guess ill just have him do whatever it takes! :) im looking to get about 400-450 whp so i wanted it to hold up really well

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
line hone is when he uses a special tool that will hone the main caps and block to round and make sure they are perfectly in line from front to rear just in case the block has torque a little so each main journal is not exactly in a straight line anymore. of course this is done when all the main caps are torqued to spec to bring the block into shape as it will be when assembled. probably need to torque on the head too or a torque plate when line honing just like you would when honing out the cylinders.

at the time of my rebuild my shop did not have the tool to do inline 6 blocks.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
linehone w/arp 185.00

how did he determine you need to line hone? i am sure he has the special tools required to do so. could be a nice job to do if necessary.

ARP recommends this when using there fasteners per my machinist. There bolts and studs have a different type of clamping force then stock hardware and can actually make the mains or rods out of round when torqued down. I had by rods honed to use ARP's but decided to stay with the stock main bolts to avoid the line hone and save money. The bottom ends are known to be stout and can handle up to 500 h.p stock. These prices seems to be right in line with what I just had done. Some are much cheaper then I payed.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Ask him to use a torque plate when they bore it. A straight bore is a long lasting bore, especially if you're going for high power.

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
WOW.

He is ripping you off. Ill bet you can find a better rate elsewhere. Or, you could just drop in a 2jzge and turbocharge it.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
p5150 said:
WOW.

He is ripping you off. Ill bet you can find a better rate elsewhere. Or, you could just drop in a 2jzge and turbocharge it.

I don't like to go off on rants but you have no idea what you are talking about. PROPER MACHINE WORK COSTS MONEY. Ill bet your one of the ones that has your car for a day and blow it up because your so cheap. and turbocharge a 2j? Don't you think that would cost a bit of coin too? Yeah he could go somewhere else but if the price is too good to be true it is too good to be true. Making sure they have the right equipment and understand about the tolerances in our motors should come above the price. People like you need a reality check. Or you need to blow up a few motors so that you'll finally realize you should "do it once and do it right" The end.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Those prices are reasonable...you get what you pay for and from what you've said it sounds like he knows what he's doing. Sounds like quality work at a fair price to me.

BTW - when you replace the freeze plugs, make sure you use Toyota. The Dorman plugs are an english measure plug (not metric)...as a result they are 5-6 thousands smaller than the Toyota ones. I didn't know this when I did my motor and the one under the water pump blew...all your coolant empties in seconds. And talk about a PITA to replace once the motor is in the car.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Not bad prices, and he recommended everything I would do, except I would bore the cylinders for new oversized pistons.

I really don't know why people want to cheap out on machine work.

Last edited:

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
TurboWarrior said:
I don't like to go off on rants but you have no idea what you are talking about. PROPER MACHINE WORK COSTS MONEY. Ill bet your one of the ones that has your car for a day and blow it up because your so cheap. and turbocharge a 2j? Don't you think that would cost a bit of coin too? Yeah he could go somewhere else but if the price is too good to be true it is too good to be true. Making sure they have the right equipment and understand about the tolerances in our motors should come above the price. People like you need a reality check. Or you need to blow up a few motors so that you'll finally realize you should "do it once and do it right" The end.

Actually, I do know what im talking about. Im an ASE certified tech and I have built a few motors. I pay HALF of what he is being quoted.

75 bucks to surface a block? Give me a break. The price difference you get when you go into a machine shop with knowledge of the subject and competitor's prices compared to walking in with no knowledge of the subject is night and day.

And turbocharging a 2jzge is not that expensive. Thats why I got a "reality check" and ditched my 7M. Maybe you should try it.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
p5150 said:
Actually, I do know what im talking about. Im an ASE certified tech and I have built a few motors. I pay HALF of what he is being quoted.

75 bucks to surface a block? Give me a break. The price difference you get when you go into a machine shop with knowledge of the subject and competitor's prices compared to walking in with no knowledge of the subject is night and day.

And turbocharging a 2jzge is not that expensive. Thats why I got a "reality check" and ditched my 7M. Maybe you should try it.

alright I WAS staying out of this but you forced my hand with this ignorant post.

You being a mechanic get "reseller cost" for doing work or getting someone else to do the work. The nice part about being in the business. You get to buy at b2b cost not b2c.

as for your reality check. Please. You ignorance is very unbecoming.

check Duane for what a PROPERLY built 7m can do. notice the key word being "PROPERLY". Hell numerous folks that run a 7m at high HP with ZERO problems. Why? Because they actually DO KNOW what they are doing.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
figgie said:
check Duane for what a PROPERLY built 7m can do. notice the key word being "PROPERLY". Hell numerous folks that run a 7m at high HP with ZERO problems. Why? Because they actually DO KNOW what they are doing.

Yup .. just needs to be built "properly:" :biglaugh: Don't even get me started opn this again.

Hey Fig what's up!

Duane