protecting my investment

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
lately there has been an increase in mk3 thefts and break-in's. i'm starting to get a bit nervous as i have a very attractive and highly-modded supra.

what are my opinions for vehicle security.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
a Cleverly wired and well hidden kill switch. Not only would it be effective, but cheap as well. Just make sure you wire it to kill any hotwiring chances.. block the ground for the starter :)

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Also, They make some sweet alarms now that will call your cell if it gets tampered with different threat levels. Kinda cool..

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
Someone also posted a thread about a keypad were its a four digit number required to start the car, didn't cost much either.

Or you could carry a large rocket louncher with you.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
fuel pump kill switch, and starter kill switch. then get a good alarm to go with it, or use an auxilary on the alarm to kill both the fuel pump and starter. :)

-shaeff

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
You should also go and get your car appraised by an reputable independant company. Most insurance companies will cover your car at its rec value rather than its book value as long as they are advised of it before something happens. And def get lojack once you start putting some real money into it

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
well, i have my fuel pump powered by a separate relay. i just ran the ground *insert your location here*, and put a switch between the ground and the ground connector on the relay. turn the switch off, the fuel pump relay gets no ground, and the car doesn't start.

for the starter, clip the blue wire with the orange stripe going to the theft deterrant ECU up under the dash, driver's side, connected to the steering column near the firewall, run a switch between that. it's the ground for the starter. switch is off? no power to the starter. switch on? car works as normal.

-shaeff

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
all i got is arlarm with 2 siruns and one stand alone keyed siran monted in my cabin

keyed kill switch for my car kills every thing cetp my alarm

and it pages me so makes alot of noise kill my alarm the noise does not stop mean whiel i i have got my batt and out to make some day really bad

whiplash

Oct 8, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've got a killswitch wired up to my neutral start switch. Rather than having to press the clutch in to start the car, you have to flick a switch. The switch is hidden but easily accessible when i hop into the car. Just a little added security, already have electronic immobilization with the alarm.

Last edited:

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Seriously!!! You guys are KILLING ME!!! I'm about to finish up my kill switches and you've already given away what 2 of them are... an internet savy thief can steal my moneypit now!!...almost:cry:

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
i have an alarm pager, works well within about 500 feet or so...

there is no substitute for having a bat by your bed and beating the shit out of someone if your car pages you asking for help LOL

i'm going to look into the cell phone thing, but I have a feeling if i'm more then 500ft away the car will already be gone anyways. no kill switch or any technology will stop a determined thief.

also jan 1st, 2007 i'll be eligable for a policy for classic cars (needs to be 20+ yrs old, and it goes by the manufactured year, so my 88 will be eligable).

you need to:
1) be 25+
2) drive under 5000mi/yr
3) store the car indoors at home (garage)
4) have documents / photos to substantiate value

then you can basically insure it for any "stated" value you wish. I was quoted around $500/yr, and that is FULL comprehensive AND collision for $100,000 coverage of property damage with a stated value of $30,000 for my supra.

my insurance now I pay $400/yr (unlimited mileage, $100k coverage as well) but if it gets totaled or stolen, I only get bluebook value (about $3500)

MKIIITrbo89

Mar 31, 2005
West Chester PA
born2drv said:
no kill switch or any technology will stop a determined thief.

Very true. It is definitely smart to look into security options for our cars. I need to make some more modifications myself. But if someone really wants your car they will get it....ie. (tow it away) This happened to a couple people I know and there's not really much an alarm can do about it.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
An alarm can't save your car from being kidnapped, but LoJack can... at least you'll find it before much happens.
Alarm pagers, cell phone notification, kill switches, and LoJack.
The theif-to-be will be sorry he ever tried to steal my Supra.

Racefiend

OH, YEAAHH!
Apr 6, 2005
Bay Area, CA
The more you do the less chance you'll have of getting your car stolen. However, it will never be 100% theft proof. As far as kill switches go, put it in a place where it is not noticable when you activate it, just in case someone is watching. Mine is in a place where not even a passenger notices me activate it.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
If someone really wants it they'll take it no matter what you do.

Theft deterrents are just that most car thieves are lazy and will move onto the next car if yours is too hard.