protecting my investment

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
any kill switch will work, it's all about if the theif knows where it is... Also if they really want the car they just put it on the back of a truck.

The easiest option is rewire the clutch start switch to a hidden button if you are 5 spd. VERY simple fix and best of all no one will know why the car won't start.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If it is going to sit for a length of time, pull the circuit opening relay. This isn't for everyday driving, but the car will not start. Both sides, control and operational, are in series with needed components.

As for the determined thief, they are also in a hurry. And good ones will show up with the correct key.

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
Is it a bad idea to put the red blinking light (LED) on top od the dash, or some other very visible place? Some peolpe say that a visible from a distance alarm attracts attention to a car that someone is trying to protect. Or should that blinking LED only be visible to people who look inside?
One more question, how real is the risk of a theft having code stealing technology?
And what brand has the best reputation for quality?

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
I recommend a Cellular or GPS tracking system. It's the best way to recover your car.

I'm running a cellular based system called Boomerang at the moment. It will work anywhere in north america and has a battery which will supply power for two days if your car battery is dead or disconnected.

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
silent_sniper said:
am i the only one who finds posting your security system on the internet a stupid idea

If you post your address along with it, absolutely! :icon_bigg

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Posting this stuff is like writing the "Let's steal a MK3 manual V1.1."

Stop posting your "exact" ideas, and things like the stock start switches. We all should know where they are, and how they work, no need to inform the masses...

So, with that said, just pick your choice of critical system, and figure out a simple way to deny power to that system, wire up your "switch" or circut and your done. (And as IJ notes, you hope the theif is in a hurry, and does not take the time to figure out your devious open circut....)

That site with the car killing the bad guys... LOL that's dang funny, but the serious truth is that in South Africa for example, car jacking is such a problem, they actually sell active ways to maim or otherwise take out the person trying to car jack you. (From spring loaded swing bars mounted under the car that are released at the push of a button, and would come out and break your shins, to fire spouting nozzles under the rockers to flame thrower the would be car jacker... )

Last edited:

sathu

Apr 20, 2005
SJ, CA
lol, yeah I seen the video for what you are talking about, they were funny as hell. If you make your car all bling out then you are just asking to get jack. Keep it simple, engine and performance only, stock visual except for the wheels. If you are going for look then you probably already storing the car in your garage instead of out in the driveway.

There is a lot of way to protect your car, the car already kill the starter with the onboard anti-theft thing form toyota.

BTZ

Apr 5, 2005
Burnaby
hide a gps device in the car. "poor mans alarm", unplug distributer or coilpack. car will turn over but not fire up.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
supra90turbo said:
An alarm can't save your car from being kidnapped, but LoJack can... at least you'll find it before much happens.
Alarm pagers, cell phone notification, kill switches, and LoJack.
The theif-to-be will be sorry he ever tried to steal my Supra.

doesn't work in steel container like a semi cargo hauler ;)

As IJ. stated if they want you car bad enough there is NOTHING you could do.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Damn you figgie... lol
True though.
Fortunately enough I'm in a low low low crime area.
I will have something... that and hopes of what Ian said :icon_razz

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
With a shipping container, it depends on the technology. GPS doesn't stand a chance, but a cellular based system should be ok.

I'm just going by what the tracking system vendors are saying on this.