Project "so I have this widebody..."

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Thanks for the opinion, even if it's not that constructive. I know it's a bit out there, but with work, it'll be the sickest mk3 in California. Promise. Especially after I paint it.

Still stuck on this wiring, though! I just busted a knuckle wide open getting a harness out of the damn fuse panel..

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Bleakvoid;1648138 said:
....with work, it'll be the sickest mk3 in California. Promise. Especially after I paint it.

Sounds like a great promise! Your car is definitely interesting.

If you could make it to ToyotaFest 2011 in Long Beach, there will be plenty of nice MK3s. There's also a high probability that there will be a couple of other wide body MK3 Supras.
http://www.toyotaclub.org/Toyotafest/toyotafest.htm

Last edited:

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
honestabe;1648146 said:
Have you removed the panel that covers the fuse panel and the panel under the dash? You will need a long extension and a deepwell socket to get to one of the clutch pedal nuts.

Yeah...everything (including the seat) but the overdash/dashmat is gone at this point, and I'm about to take that out too, if it'll make this any easier. I think I saw where to use the long extension combo, but it was getting dark and I was getting very frustrated at that point...I'll try tomorrow.

Is it possible to reverse the studs on the master cylinder once it's out? Just to make later maintenance less of a pain...stupid awkward caucasian limbs of mine :-/

If you could make it to ToyotaFest 2011 in Long Beach, there will be plenty of nice MK3s. There's also a high probability that there will be a couple of other wide body MK3 Supras.

I'd really like to make it out there...my ultimate goal is the elusive mk4, eventually, and I know I'd get to see some prime examples. But, barring catostrophic failure of something, I should be able to.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
you need a wobble end extenstion. it flexes just enough to get it out. and btw, with that kit covering your door handle, how did you get into you car before? climb thru the hatch?

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
bioskyline;1648260 said:
you need a wobble end extenstion. it flexes just enough to get it out. and btw, with that kit covering your door handle, how did you get into you car before? climb thru the hatch?

I just got real good at breaking into mk3's, lol. Honestly, I usually left the window open, at least a 1/4". But give me a flathead and a wire coat hanger, and I can open a mk3 no problem, windows or not ;-) Makes it even easier when I don't have to lean over 7" wide side skirts.

rodel;1648254 said:
Would you consider clarifying?

Absolutely. I really want a RHD 97 Supra RZ...been fascinated by turbos since I was 13 and helped with my first engine rebuild on the 'bird. I'll never forget it; my dad said "turbochargers are almost magical, it's the closest thing you'll ever see to free energy"...I saw F&F later that day, and decided (after some research) that the car I could die in was a Supra.

It sounds morbid, but it's true. My father always told me that the key to being truly happy with a car is to make sure that if you die crashing it, it'll be with a smile on your face and the throttle all the way down. Only my Supra has given me that feeling, and I've lusted after the 94+ ever since that rebuild.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
Bleakvoid;1648338 said:
I just got real good at breaking into mk3's, lol. Honestly, I usually left the window open, at least a 1/4". But give me a flathead and a wire coat hanger, and I can open a mk3 no problem, windows or not ;-) Makes it even easier when I don't have to lean over 7" wide side skirts.

that works. i had a fbody with shaved handles, but the poppers stoped working, and so had to leave my t top unlatched so i could get back in, or climb thru the hatch

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Devin LeBlanc;1648339 said:
Wouldn't be posting that blatantly lol

Didn't mean to sound like I break into cars all the time...I just meant that if anyone locks their keys in their Supra at a meet, I'm the man to come see. I've got one now, no need to get greedy and take someone else's. It'd be way too mean to deprive a fellow owner of their favorite ride.

TweeT91109;1648369 said:
Sounds like too much trouble. Too many things can go wrong. Mk3's already have enough problems, why pay to have more added.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The alarm? Hell...that's all just relays and outputs, man. Just gotta verify your wiring, and it's all good. Plus, I've installed this same brain before in my truck...difference being that I didn't shave the door handles on it, plus I added power locks, windows, and made the remote start work with the 5speed, all on my first alarm install. Took me a couple days, but nothing to it...it's just tedious and work space is limited.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
Bleakvoid;1648452 said:
Didn't mean to sound like I break into cars all the time...I just meant that if anyone locks their keys in their Supra at a meet, I'm the man to come see. I've got one now, no need to get greedy and take someone else's. It'd be way too mean to deprive a fellow owner of their favorite ride.

I'm not sure what you're referring to. The alarm? Hell...that's all just relays and outputs, man. Just gotta verify your wiring, and it's all good. Plus, I've installed this same brain before in my truck...difference being that I didn't shave the door handles on it, plus I added power locks, windows, and made the remote start work with the 5speed, all on my first alarm install. Took me a couple days, but nothing to it...it's just tedious and work space is limited.

Yea I was referencing to the pop-locks. I don't like that idea of the auto-start on a 5 speed either. But then again I park in a small car port. And next to other cars all the time. And all it would take is one time for you to forget your in 1st, and your e-brake isn't on. Then jump jump, crush. lol there goes my bad ass wide body. But hey bro. TO put it all out on the table, I love the confidence of taking on, not only someone else's project, but someone else's extremely complicated project. That takes some balls. and I respect that. And hey, its your car, do with it what you would like. Cause i'm not paying for it. But good luck with completing your future vision, on this pretty cool project. Hope to see you finish it.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Bleakvoid;1648338 said:
Absolutely. I really want a RHD 97 Supra RZ...been fascinated by turbos since I was 13 and helped with my first engine rebuild on the 'bird. I'll never forget it; my dad said "turbochargers are almost magical, it's the closest thing you'll ever see to free energy"...I saw F&F later that day, and decided (after some research) that the car I could die in was a Supra.

It sounds morbid, but it's true. My father always told me that the key to being truly happy with a car is to make sure that if you die crashing it, it'll be with a smile on your face and the throttle all the way down. Only my Supra has given me that feeling, and I've lusted after the 94+ ever since that rebuild.

I appreciate that you shared your dream since child hood. It seems like you live your life a quarteter mile at a time. Btw, your car does resemble an mk4 outfitted with an Abflug body kit. Your feelings for an mk4 seem so deep that your committing adultery on your mk3.

How does your story relate to and impact attending Toyotafest?

Last edited:

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
An Abflug styled MKIV

p1648815_1.jpg

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
rodel;1648651 said:
I appreciate that you shared your dream since child hood. It seems like you live your life a quarteter mile at a time. Btw, your car does resemble an mk4 outfitted with an Abflug body kit. Your feelings for an mk4 seem so deep that your committing adultery on your mk3.

How does your story relate to and impact attending Toyotafest?

Not 1/4 miles...mountain passes at a time :p Either way, I know it looks kinda similar, but mine is really one-off. The Abflug is all almost knife-edged, and has vents behind the front and rear wheels, as well...I've never seen it in person, though. With all those angles and ridges, it's hard to tell what the bodywork really looks like without it. I love the way my car looks, because I can stare at it every day; if its reminiscent of the Abflug mk4, then cool...it's full custom, though. Stock front bumper pieces filled/shaved/bonded together, leaving just foglight holes, intercooler vent and the headlights, and re-molded in fiberglass to match the fenders. Fenders are stock pieces as well, cut, gapped, and again, re-formed in fiberglass. Rear bumper is a fiberglass C5 Corvette replica, and it's blended onto the quarter panels, doors and rear deck with the testarossa vents. I still have no clue what kit/car/custom work was done for the side vents or skirts.

It doesn't really relate to ToyotaFest, other than the fact that I'll probably be spending just as much time gawking at mk4's as I'll spend repeating "Yes, that is definitely a Supra. Yes, it's a turbo. No, I bought it like that."

Zumtizzle;1648681 said:
This I must see.

Why not skip the MK3 and buy a MK4? They're not exactly expensive.

I would have, if I could have found one for sale in NorCal for less than $3k, running, with turbos and a manual tranny. I didn't really have much of a budget to start my Supra addiction. As for a preview of paint...imagine that it just ran down the Bonneville salt flats, and all that pure white salt is still on the paint where the low pressure areas are; now think of it as white airbrush work on all the inside edges to make the body lines/cuts look shallower against the dark blue. Absolutely inspired by the way the Viper ACR looked at Bonneville this year:

dodge-viper-acr-bonneville-salt-flats-01.jpg

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
And an update...got my alarm wiring finished, with some secret squirrel final touches. Let's just say that if my alarm goes off, this bitch is immobile. I'll get a pic of the kick panel tomorrow...ignition harness is a secret. Sorry, but publicly posting that is bad business.

On the other hand, my clutch master cylinder is too fucked off to put back in with a clean conscience. So, I have to wait to get back on the road...at least the firebird still runs.

gitplayer

Apr 29, 2009
Adelsheim
Hello from Germany!

Your widebody looks a lot like those built by a german tuning company called b+m. A lot of modification on the front though.

You can see how the original b+m 1 kit looked like here:

rr1190-01.jpg

rr1190-02.jpg

rr1190-03.jpg

Thought this might be interesting to you.