Project "so I have this widebody..."

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
How was the wide body done exactly? Did they actually chop the fenders to make a giant cavity, or just slap the overfenders with a stock wheel well lip? If you had the wheels and tires to match (and the HP to back it up), I see nothing but awesome with this setup....

thought about doing it myself, but I don't have the time to fabricate a 1-off fender set, and I couldn't find anything commercially.

SG in NE.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
There was a really nice widebody kit made in Europe, but the guy took forever to make and ship it (atleast 6 months). I'm pretty sure it's not even being made anymore.

Spencyg, even commercially made widebody kits require a lot of work to install correctly. Just ask Brad (Tekdeus).

etikoner

Likes lurking.
Sep 12, 2010
Miami Beach, Fl.
Cool car. (not exactly my taste)
68782_483253025850_295192165850_7296751_8321070_n.jpg

This guy is running 18x12 in the back and it's not nearly as wide as yours.(the body + over fender)
You're gonna need some more wheel if you plan to fill it up. :p
do you have a full picture of your car, and not just sections of it?

Search Garage Fujimoto if you want anymore info on this supra
(for the guy below)

Last edited:

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
etikoner;1640453 said:
Cool car. (not exactly my taste)
This guy is running 18x12 in the back and it's not nearly as wide as yours.(the body + over fender)
You're gonna need some more wheel if you plan to fill it up. :p
do you have a full picture of your car, and not just sections of it?

It also depends on offset and backspacing; offset determines how much of a rim's width is inside or outside the plane created by the hub mounting surface. I have 7.5" to fill (5.5" gap plus 2" to get rid of the spacer) away from the hub, so we need to calculate the opposite of backspacing:
Stock mk3 rim is 16x7, et38. So, (half of our 7" of width) minus (+1.5" of offset) equals 2" of rim face outside of the hub.
(3.5")-(1.5")=2"
Cool, I need 7.5" more than that, so my aftermarket rim needs to have 9.5" of the opposite of backspace. Now we solve for it:
(Half of 12" width) minus (what offset?) equals 9.5" of rim face beyond the hub.
(6")-(x)=9.5", x= -3.5" or -89mm
So, now we know that if I want a 12" wide rim that will be flush, it needs to have an offset of -89; I'm sure those are something around a 0. -89 sounds like an assload of offset, but Work told me over the phone it's doable on an 18x12 while still being structurally sound. Also, I'm taking into account tires...on a 12", 305 is the thinnest you can get without stretching. An 18x13 (et -76) requires 335's, which is where tires start getting really expensive. Going to an 18x14, offset would be around -64, and would have to be fitted with 355 tires or wider...it starts to get real hard to even find tires that wide, let alone have the deep pockets to buy them. The fronts, if I have a 10" wide rim, should be a 18x10, et-10.

More pics to come soon...I'm still waiting for the water pump for my DD :: angry ::

Last edited:

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Got a price quote today...$4300 for a set with those exact dimensions from Donz Forged, including serious custom work to the rim face to make it concave for that offset. Not bad for 3-piece custom wheels....time to make more phone calls.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I'm looking into it...there's more than a few JDM importers here in Cali, so I'm sure something will come along. I hadn't even thought about that until I called up VR Wheels about an hour ago, so now I'm doing more research. At least the downtime I have is productive; I have Corky Bell's Maximum Boost laid out in front of me while I surf for rim design information.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Hey, its Ace from Zankoku, we just spoke. Wow, that is definately a widebody. I think you're going to need more than a 57 trim to ever turn whatever tire/wheel gets used back there.
That rear end was meant to tuck fat slicks ala NRHA style. No one ever designed it to be flush, kinda like this
tspvette.jpg

imgres

29400001.jpeg

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Hi Ace! Yeah, I was looking at the mockup of the wheels I might order and thinking about the 305 that's going to be back there, plus what I want to make for power...I'm thinking a full T4 setup would be the way to go now. Which kinda sucks, I was really hoping to leave the engine bay pretty much stock looking. But then I realized, "Hey, then I can have a BB T4, equal length headers, divorced and merged downpipe, and probably get better than stock throttle response all the way to 20psi!" On the other hand, if I ever get my hood popped...away to impound she goes :<

Either way, here's the mockup of the BBS 17" I'm thinking of getting:

I'd estimate that wheel has a bit of positive offset on a 10" width...so, my lip would probably be almost twice as deep in the back, and an inch or two deeper in the front. Sounds good to me, plus they're less than what I paid for the car :D

Last edited:

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Ever looked into Capital Forged or iForged? They make everything custom and I sell both. I think if you're going to shoot for that flushness you're going to want as wide a wheel with as low and offset that isnt going to destroy your rear wheel bearings. Probably a 13" wide. I put some of those on a really widebody S2000 years ago, AutoArt wheels.
That S2K was massive, but not as massive as yours apparenlty, lol

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
At this stage, leaving anything "stock looking" is going to turn into a hopeless endeavour. Having an exterior like that would only lead to a "let down" when you pop the hood to show people. Whether you like it or not, your car needs to be "all bling"

I like it!

SG in NE.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
Grimsta;1641418 said:
Ever looked into Capital Forged or iForged? They make everything custom and I sell both. I think if you're going to shoot for that flushness you're going to want as wide a wheel with as low and offset that isnt going to destroy your rear wheel bearings. Probably a 13" wide. I put some of those on a really widebody S2000 years ago, AutoArt wheels.
That S2K was massive, but not as massive as yours apparenlty, lol

Hey, if I show up at the shop next week...think we could measure for wheels? I realised the other night (in a dream, lol) that I hadn't even thought about rubbing clearance in the front, and I don't quite understand how to calculate/measure that, or how to factor in a drop and possibly some caster/camber leeway. Plus I still need to figure out what to do for fenderwells...looks like more fiberglass work for me. Yay!

spencyg;1641460 said:
At this stage, leaving anything "stock looking" is going to turn into a hopeless endeavour. Having an exterior like that would only lead to a "let down" when you pop the hood to show people. Whether you like it or not, your car needs to be "all bling"

I like it!

SG in NE.

Yeah, I was starting to think along those lines, too. One guy at an intersection today basically assumed I had a 2jz...which wouldn't be all bad, to be honest. Maybe someday. But thanks!

This car gets a lot of attention, I'm starting to notice...I'm really going to work hard to pull this off, and maybe then I'll get a mk4. Or just the drivetrain :evil2:

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
I'm unfortunately not going to have the time for that kind of stuff next week. We're very very very busy with lots of stuff we have to focus on to get done. Dont have alot of leeway to do things that arent in the shop right now. But if you come in after December 1st i'll be able to. We're going to be moved into our new shop December 1st

---------- Post added at 10:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Oh man, just noticed you have a 69 Firebird 400. That was almost the 1st car I ever bought! I LOVE THOSE

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
It's cool. When you've got time, I need to pick your brain about it.

In other news...it rained today. So I got sideways in it for the first time; I can honestly say limited slip is the best thing EVAR. I've never been able to manji like that, the control it affords the driver is fantastic. Speaking of, I need to change my diff and tranny fluid. >.> I hear Motul is really nice.

Feels like it came with an instruction manual:
"Start turning. Build boost in gear. Countersteer."

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
What about using extended suspension links instead of ridiculous wheels? This would be much better for driveability.

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I got it up on a lift today, took some pictures, and changed my oil. Next is tranny and rear end fluid, master cylinder, belts, rotors and pads. Maybe suspension bushings for the holidays?
4365d6c1-eb1d-493f.jpg

4365d6c1-eb40-f7e4.jpg

One wheelwell...that's embarassing. But informative...I'll clean that up.
4365d6c1-eb76-89de.jpg

The rear isn't in very good shape. There's a crack in the bumper on the lower right, and I want to fill those lights.
4365d6c1-ebdb-df22.jpg

4365d6c1-ecd0-716c.jpg

Not sure if you can see it in these pics, but it's a stock upper and lower bumper molded in fiberglass from the original, then filled/smoothed/shaved. Up close, the seams on the back are pretty obvious.
4365d6c1-edc4-cdb5.jpg

Another side shot.

I get my camera back tomorrow and can't afford to work on it until Monday, so weather permitting, I'm going to detail it and take pictures of everything.