Project: Shouldn't have to do this

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Recap: Yesterday, got my car running and idling and took it down the road for the first time in a year and 2 months (big build ensued before this, not pics).

I get back with a little oil leak. I don't think much of it but I check it out and I see it right away when I get back, it's coming from the oil filter housing banjo bolt. I pull it off and pull off the oil filter housing to find the threads and actual pieces of the block broken off, looks like it was crossthreaded to shit....

After driving several pieces of crap for the past year and knowing I'd be stuck with my baby when I was about to go tune it for some boost, I was broken, it was and is so fucking shitty. Afterwards I decided to go look at a local SC300 for sale and I'll be picking it up tomorrow for a great price. Not that I'm getting rid of the Supra or anything just wanna get some AC and a little luxury in my life. This is the 2nd big blow in my Supra ownership, after my dad flipped my first 89 turbo car, and now having to build another engine has its ups and downs.

SOOOO the new plan:
-Late model 7M block
-All machine work for whatever my forged internals are in the current engine
-Redo passenger side ICP
-Paint and polish engine better than last time
-IS300 CP's
-FASTER this time around, I plan to be finishing this in 2 weeks I'm sick of waiting

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

To:
p1029403_1.jpg

p1029403_2.jpg

p1029403_3.jpg

More pictures coming but camera is MIA, will get pics of the bastard oil housing.

UkiSash

no mor sup :(
Jul 12, 2005
Weth CT
Thats hell of a nice car you got there. Sucks that this stuff happens. You probably got your mind made up but i still advise keep your chin up take a step back and do it again.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
UkiSash;1029500 said:
Thats hell of a nice car you got there. Sucks that this stuff happens. You probably got your mind made up but i still advise keep your chin up take a step back and do it again.

I am, read further.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Slow update: After pulling it apart, I was pleased and displeased.

The good: I found some nice Cunningham rods and JE pistons inside.
The bad: The JE's were 0.060 over! too much for me.

I've ordered a set of 0.020 over Probe pistons, and the block and head are at the machine shop. The block was decked 0.003 and the head 0.001. I will be pulling the crank out tomorrow and sending it down to be polished and knife edged as well as ordering my ARP head studs, misc. new toyota gaskets, bearings, seals, etc.

Here a few quick pics I snapped with my phone, real camera is finally found so pictures are in store.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1052600_1.jpg

Jeff

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
wow, talk about heart break. I think I kinda know how you feel. Im glad to see you arent gonna let it beat you. On a positive note, it should be easier and faster the second time around.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
theWeezL;1052624 said:
wow, talk about heart break. I think I kinda know how you feel. Im glad to see you arent gonna let it beat you. On a positive note, it should be easier and faster the second time around.

I sure hope so, I got the camera and got the broken engine pics as well as the new block after tearing apart the shortblock.

HS: Thanks.
Rennat: I know right!

The big fucking heart-breaker:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Broken block:
p1052719_1.jpg

New block (thanks Matt):
p1052719_2.jpg

p1052719_3.jpg

Jeff

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Kinda confused...

You got .020 over pistons, but the old pistons where .060, you can't go smaller, only larger...

Looks like it might be thermal coating on the inside of the block as well.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Poodles;1052901 said:
Kinda confused...

You got .020 over pistons, but the old pistons where .060, you can't go smaller, only larger...

Looks like it might be thermal coating on the inside of the block as well.

I got a new block, and I have the 0.060 JE's I would reuse but I don't want 0.060 over, so I ordered a set of Probe 0.020 over.

As for the coating inside, where do I get that kind of thing done, and is it expensive?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Not sure, IJ would probably be the one to ask...

If the block you have is in good shape, you wouldn't have to overbore. I would have asked the machine shop if they needed an overbore first...

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Sorry I am so slow and helpful. I've been very busy lately on a few things: Helping friend install XS Power T61 on his SC300 going GE-T (do not get XS power shit), went on vacation for a week to Maryland (the roads were glorious, sadly the Chevy Malibu's canoe-like stability made it very unsatisfying..), and basically being too damn nice and doing wayyyy to many favors which has halted my builds progress along with lack of funds and poor SC300 daily driver investment.

BUT I have done a few little things: Prep and paint the block. Used some self-etching primer followed by some 500+ degree Duplicolor engine block paint, not really my color scheme but oil leaks will be very visable. Also got my ARP's I ordered (thanks Driftmotion) and got my Probe pistons (thanks Sneakypete). My dad helped me figure out the spiral pins on the pistons and get the 0.060 over JE's off and the Probe's on my Cunningham rods (picture comparing Probe versus JE below). Anyways should be a lot more progress as I have finished with other people's stuff and once I get rid of a few things I can get a MHG and other necessities on the way, that's all for now.

My ARP's:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

My head (decked, 30 RA, note chip-I was told by the engine shop that this wouldn't affect anything, looking for second opinions?, head will be run through the parts washer as well):
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

My block: decked, bored, honed, acid dipped, painted
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Getting JE's off and Probe's on:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Probe & Cunningham:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

JE (right) versus Probe (left): Probe looks to have thicker skirt sides
sm_photo_missing.jpg

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
IJ.;1088128 said:
That head looks VERY rough for 30ra......

Painting inside a block is a bit of an old school thing believed to aid the Oil drainback... (I don't buy it)

Think I should take it back to check? And what do you think about the chip?

I assume the block painting aids to the previous owners old school beliefs because the car has a modified oil pan that holds 8 quarts.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Will do, and as long as it doesn't raise the gasket there it'll be good to use? I'll go ahead and have the head checked on Monday just to make sure, I need to pick up my bearings from them anyways, thanks for the advice.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I'm thinking he's meaning the big gouge...

Did they do that to the head? Or was it like that when you pulled the head off? If they did it, they owe you a head IMHO...