Project Clean 87

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Sick nasty build, even after all the set backs. Diggin the whole thing down to the lights. You can fix(patch) the rad. Pour in a bead of weld to seal up the couple of open spots shelve it and have a very nice back up. For the just in case something else happens to your build back up. :aigo:

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Well, I dyno'd Tuesday at PSI and my stock ECU didn't like being a single turbo at 16 lbs, so I'm going standalone. My NEO, ECU, and injectors are for sale (still have to pull the injectors, the ECU is pending). I'm taking the Supra off the road til March so I can seriously pay off some debt. Now for the somewhat good news. Mark at PSI (aka Aphxero) gave me a nice TRD oil cap since I gave him my old valve bucket shims. We managed to make 393 RWHP and 340 RWTQ on one pull, but at 6k RPM's the graph went nuts. So the Supra is tuned for 350 RWHP now at 16 lbs (a mild tune considering what we know the setup is capable of, only limiting factor is the ECU). When leaving PSI I blew my gasket between the turbo and the manifold and when I tried to take off the v-band clamp it broke. Luckily for me HorsepowerFreaks just happened to be 15 minutes away and have better versions of the clamp and gasket on hand.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Over the last couple days I've been removing the intake manifold stopping when I get frustrated. Finally got it off today (I really hate Toyota at the moment), as well as removing my fuel rail and 440cc 2J injectors (which are up for sale). Discovered my drivers side motor mount is loose, so that's on my to do list. I created a very long and time consuming/cheap list of things to do to the Supra to improve it while it's off the road. Until everything on that list is crossed off, the Supra is off the road. First project, polish the intake manifold. This is what I'm starting with

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
honestabe;1392239 said:
I'd rather not do a ghetto fix. I like nice and clean fixes.

If you dont like ghetto then dont do it ghetto. Some people have the skills to do it right, some dont. If your gonna trash it send it to me.

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Talked to Aphxero today and it turns out PSI puts vids up of the cars they tune with the best pull and dyno graph. I didn't know it but apparrently I was all of 0.05 RWHP from 400 (missed the pull, was pre-occupied). I did 399.95 RWHP and 346.54 RWTQ :D And that was a good pull (unlike the 393 RWHP pull I thought was my best).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUuHjNrmkGQ

After a couple hours of the dremel and some hand sanding with the 320 wetordry sandpaper, this is what I have. I'll finish smoothing out the areas I took the dremel to and then send it off to ST2B to have Matt finish polishing it since he's fairly cheap and does mirror finishs.

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
im just going to say now that i have really noticed a trend going on here with your car. turbo bolt loose, gasket blew. crank pully bolt was loose, it blew up. tensioner bolt was loose, it screwed your cover up :) now motor mount bolt is loose your shit is going to fly out from under the hood lol

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
northwestsupra;1401188 said:
im just going to say now that i have really noticed a trend going on here with your car. turbo bolt loose, gasket blew. crank pully bolt was loose, it blew up. tensioner bolt was loose, it screwed your cover up :) now motor mount bolt is loose your shit is going to fly out from under the hood lol

The turbo bolt came loose because I didn't have a lock washer on it and didn't use thread lock (it was very tight when I tightened it down, I even created a wrench to tighten one of the nuts). The crank pulley bolt wasn't loose the 1J crank pulleys tend to grenade because of age. The tensioner, yes I did forget to tighten it, probably because I didn't take it off. The motor mount was tight (it even has a nylon lock in the nut to prevent it from backing off). I'll take some loctite to it this time to ensure it stays put. Time to turn into a Loctite freak, lol. Probably doesn't help that I have solid motor mounts.

Last edited:

honestabe

Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
Did some more sanding on the intake manifold today. It's smoother, but nowhere near what it will look like when Matt (ST2B) get's done with it. I'm shipping the manifold and the throttle body off to him Tuesday or Wednesday (gotta find a box first) to have him create his famous mirror finish. And look, my legs aren't in this pic :icon_razz