p757332_1.jpg

RS*R GT-II FTW!

p757332_2.jpg

SupraBlur

Nov 16, 2006
Hollywood, CA
Leviathan said:
what's the name of this HKS? never knew HKS did such exaust for the A70

Known in some circles as the HKS Dual Dragger and some as the HKS Dual Evolution, I've confirmed with an HKS guy that they are one and the same. It is actually a JZA70 exhaust, which you can always spot due to it being about 1" shorter than MA70 exhausts (the JZA70 had a slightly longer catalytic converter). I just shimmed it with an extra exhaust flange, courtesy of Jose @ Kaizen.

starscream5000 said:
Why would you want a dual exhaust on an engine that has only one header/exhaust manifold?

There are a few reasons. A well-designed Y-pipe from 3" to dual 2.5" will cause the air to accelerate as a result of the pressure difference. Also, the overall volume of air that you can move through a pair of 2.5" pipes is roughly equivalent to a single 3.75-4" pipe without having the ground clearance or routing issues. Furthermore it looks cool. =)

The only downside is the weight. Ryan/anorexicpoodle came up with a great idea -- if this thing ever dies, have a replica mocked up with titanium slip fit pipes.

-Ray

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
SupraBlur said:
Known in some circles as the HKS Dual Dragger and some as the HKS Dual Evolution, I've confirmed with an HKS guy that they are one and the same. It is actually a JZA70 exhaust, which you can always spot due to it being about 1" shorter than MA70 exhausts (the JZA70 had a slightly longer catalytic converter). I just shimmed it with an extra exhaust flange, courtesy of Jose @ Kaizen.

There are a few reasons. A well-designed Y-pipe from 3" to dual 2.5" will cause the air to accelerate as a result of the pressure difference. Also, the overall volume of air that you can move through a pair of 2.5" pipes is roughly equivalent to a single 3.75-4" pipe without having the ground clearance or routing issues. Furthermore it looks cool. =)

The only downside is the weight. Ryan/anorexicpoodle came up with a great idea -- if this thing ever dies, have a replica mocked up with titanium slip fit pipes.

-Ray
For some reason I would find that hard to belive that exhaust would flow very good compared to alot of other brands(blitz nur spec, tanabe, RSR)

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Well im sure apexi and HKS did a little research before they just decided to make the exhaust.. Its not meant to just look cool. dual 2.5" would flow better than single 3" anyday.From what i have read you get the full flow of a 3" system and the torque of a smaller exhaust at the same time.But i dont know if that holds any truth..And it looks cooler than a single can+the better ground clearance already mentioned.

SupraBlur

Nov 16, 2006
Hollywood, CA
doom26464 said:
For some reason I would find that hard to belive that exhaust would flow very good compared to alot of other brands(blitz nur spec, tanabe, RSR)

You don't have to walk on faith, it's already been proven. Ryan Delgrosso made I believe 295 rwhp on a 1JZ-GTE with stock boost, just a downpipe and this exhaust (whereas most are making 260-280 with similar configuration). They also made a Dual Dragger for the JZA80, and it's one of the best for the mk4 as well. The exhaust isn't more popular simply because of rarity (there are only a few of them in the US) and price (it cost about $1200 new).

It doesn't take rocket science to realize that more air can pass through a pair of 65mm pipes than a single 80mm pipe, provided that the y-pipe didn't add so much turbulence that it cancelled out the increase in volume.

Not trying to take any jabs, but I find it hard to believe that you would consider the Tanabe Hyper Medallion even a remote comparison. Along with the Greddy SP and HKS Drager with the gigantic canister, they are designed to be QUIET -- a generic exhaust with mandrel bends and e-bay straight through muffler would make more power. The Blitz NUR is a much better comparison in terms of muffler design, but it's still only 80mm compared to dual 65mm.

-Ray

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
Who cares what an exhaust sounds like. Get an external and vent it to the world
I know I sure as hell don't know what my exhaust sounds like at WOT. All I hear is the screaming waste gate bellowing at my feet (literally) :evil2: :evil2:

Wraith

Apr 1, 2005
Snohomish, WA
SupraBlur said:

-Ray

actually the 7m-ge has about an inch longer cat than the 7m-gte as well, i compared the two side by side. the n/a cat pushes my rs*r exhaust out the back farther than my turbo cat did for sure.

Saavedro88

Jan 26, 2007
Richmond VA
Wraith said:
actually the 7m-ge has about an inch longer cat than the 7m-gte as well, i compared the two side by side. the n/a cat pushes my rs*r exhaust out the back farther than my turbo cat did for sure.

hmm... That's interesting to note, never knew that... I was wondering why the hangers didn't quite line up....

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
SupraBlur said:
You don't have to walk on faith, it's already been proven. Ryan Delgrosso made I believe 295 rwhp on a 1JZ-GTE with stock boost, just a downpipe and this exhaust (whereas most are making 260-280 with similar configuration). They also made a Dual Dragger for the JZA80, and it's one of the best for the mk4 as well. The exhaust isn't more popular simply because of rarity (there are only a few of them in the US) and price (it cost about $1200 new).

It doesn't take rocket science to realize that more air can pass through a pair of 65mm pipes than a single 80mm pipe, provided that the y-pipe didn't add so much turbulence that it cancelled out the increase in volume.

Not trying to take any jabs, but I find it hard to believe that you would consider the Tanabe Hyper Medallion even a remote comparison. Along with the Greddy SP and HKS Drager with the gigantic canister, they are designed to be QUIET -- a generic exhaust with mandrel bends and e-bay straight through muffler would make more power. The Blitz NUR is a much better comparison in terms of muffler design, but it's still only 80mm compared to dual 65mm.

-Ray
Thats a Good point, but think of it this way...How much more power is gained from going 3 inch to 4inch? or even 5 inch? such a large exhaust would already be able to flow more then enough for the power of the engine(with some excpetions) but what about having a 4 inch with more bends but then having a 3 inch with straighter exhaust path....I would belive the 3 inch would yeild more power for a mild 400 or less car.

I understand my comparison of tanabe, or greddy was a bad one(I run the tanabe even) but compared to the RSR I don't think it would yeild more power...

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
doom26464 said:
Thats a Good point, but think of it this way...How much more power is gained from going 3 inch to 4inch? or even 5 inch? such a large exhaust would already be able to flow more then enough for the power of the engine(with some excpetions) but what about having a 4 inch with more bends but then having a 3 inch with straighter exhaust path....I would belive the 3 inch would yeild more power for a mild 400 or less car.

I understand my comparison of tanabe, or greddy was a bad one(I run the tanabe even) but compared to the RSR I don't think it would yeild more power...

A 2.5" exhaust, as long as its pretty well made, will flow easy 400hp!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
but won't spool as well

less backpressure = faster spool and higher boost

you can't really go too big with a turbo setup, N/A yes, but not turbo...