OMGWTF Oil filter blew up, and killed my turbo/motor

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
jetjock said:
Fwiw never buy a filter without opening the box in store and carefully examining it for defects ie; bad threads, missing ADBV, metal chips, loose or missing center tube, ect. Don't wait until you get the thing home or let it sit on the shelf for a months.

QFT

I have always done this and it does pay off. I've found numerous oil filters with missing o-rings in them and dented canisters inside of a non-damaged box before. The best thing I've read so far this morning ^^^.

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
jetjock said:
Iirc the bypass valve setting on that filter is around 10-15 psi, as are most filters speced for this engine, including the OEM ones. Are you suggesting all those filters are in bypass when system oil pressure is above 10-15 psi? Do you understand what a BPV does and what pressure it responds to?

To the OP: How is your filter mount plumbed? Which line in the photo is oil into the mount?

i hooked up the kit correctly and everything was labeled in/out. it goes from the block, to the filter, then oil cooler, then back into the block

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Update on this. I now see that there is stock of the 90915-20003 (Made in Japan OEM size 7M/1JZ/2JZ oil filter) and 90915-20004 (Made in Japan taller V8/large V6 oil filter) in California right now.

I'm going to be ordering some for myself and other people here in Calgary, but looks like Toyota is starting to bring these things in again.