OMGWTF Oil filter blew up, and killed my turbo/motor

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
jdub said:
Not much you can do when you get a defective part...that happens with ALL major manufacturers, including Toyota. Hopefully Purolator will come through and stand behind their product.

You guys that like Toyota filters...the new ones are made in Thailand. It's a mediocre filter at best....take a look at this thread:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

IMO, Wix and Purolator make the best filters out there. It sucks Mmmboost got a bad one...personally I think it's an isolated incident.

statistical probability.

it is bound to happen. Not all defects can be caught unfortuantly. :(

But with that said.

Why don't i see more people use spin on filter from say,

Canton

or

System1

yeah a bit pricey but man, for those to give the ghost up take a HELL of a lot more pressure.

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
Sorry about your engine/turbo (it was time to upgrade anyway, right?), when you said that it wasn't making the "bad noise" the next day are you still driving it?

figgie said:
But with that said.

Why don't i see more people use spin on filter from say,

Canton

yeah a bit pricey but man, for those to give the ghost up take a HELL of a lot more pressure.

Canton Mecca 8 micron filter here:
p694601_1.jpg

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
yeah, i have not been driving it. im going to keep it in the same condition as right after it happened. if they want to do oil analysis to prove that it blew when i say it did then im fine with that. plus, i still may be rebuilding this actual motor so i want to keep the damage to a minimum.

im for sure going to look into those canton filters. i remember seeing those before, and wow... :)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Appears the can separated at the base. Rare but it happens. While I'm also fan of PureOnes the one thing I don't like about them is the thin gauge steel used because it lowers impact protection. Anyway, send it back and see what they say. If it was their fault they'll make good on it

Fwiw never buy a filter without opening the box in store and carefully examining it for defects ie; bad threads, missing ADBV, metal chips, loose or missing center tube, ect. Don't wait until you get the thing home or let it sit on the shelf for a months.

Btw, anyone who actually believes Canton Mecca filters are 8 microns needs to do some research about something called beta ratios...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
jetjock said:
Appears the can separated at the base. Rare but it happens. While I'm also fan of PureOnes the one thing I don't like about them is the thin gauge steel used because it lowers impact protection. Anyway, send it back and see what they say. If it was their fault they'll make good on it

Fwiw never buy a filter without opening the box in store and carefully examining it for defects ie; bad threads, missing ADBV, metal chips, loose or missing center tube, ect. Don't wait until you get the thing home or let it sit on the shelf for a months.

Btw, anyone who actually believes Canton Mecca filters are 8 microns needs to do some research about something called beta ratios...

oh heavens know.

I just care for one thing.......

No bypass.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Hooray! I've got 160,000kms worth of Made in Japan Toyota filters coming for my AE86! :) I hope they're the same style as the 20004 filter was for the V8's... but do I dare cut one up to see?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Jeff Lange said:
Hooray! I've got 160,000kms worth of Made in Japan Toyota filters coming for my AE86! :) I hope they're the same style as the 20004 filter was for the V8's... but do I dare cut one up to see?

sure!!

live on the edge!!

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
jetjock said:

So here is what I found so far
http://www.techsolve.org/pdfs/Metal%20Removal%20Fluids%20Pollution%20Prevention%20Guide.pdf?PHPSESSID=ea92f0ed5077bc91772cb597d9b7b673 said:
The Beta Ratio rating is a better indicator of performance. Using the Multi-Pass test, the Beta
Ratio defines the number of particles (using the ACFTD), greater then a given size (x) in the
influent upstream of the filter, to the number of particles greater then the given size (x) in the
effluent on the downstream side of the filter. This ratio is defined as
B(x) = Number of upstream particles >(x)M
---------------------------------------------
Number of downstream particles >(x)M
Where B(x) is defined as the Filtration Ratio. Consider the example given below….
Example:
A filter element has a Beta Rating of B(10) = 75. This indicates that all particles > 10
microns are being captured by the filter element at a ratio of 75:1. Because Beta Ratios deal with
efficiency, they can be expressed as the percentage of the particles greater then size (x) removed.
Or….
E(x) =
B – 1
-------- x 100 =
B

75 – 1
--------- x 100 = 98.7%
Note that Beta Ratings are established on a upstream/downstream Ä P. Also, the Beta Ratio
efficiency should remain consistent through the terminal life of the filter element.
Is this in the right direction?

I didn't see any data on Canton's site concerning this. Maybe I'll email them and see what they 'can' tell me.

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
MmmBoost said:
wow, sounds promising.

funny thing is that i bought that filter at my work. Sears auto center. i have never had a problem with any purolator filter in my life, and most mechanics i work with along with anybody i know actually reccommends that filter over all others. i will still continue to use that filter, and i do believe that it was a faulty one. .

all in all, i still trust purolator filters over just about anything else. fuck, the replacement filter i put on there is a Powerflow (manufactured by purolator). but i do expect them to hold up their end of the bargain of their big ass "warranted against all defects" thing printed on the side of the box, and if it wasnt for their defective filter, my motor/turbo would be fine.

ill keep y'all updated with what happens, and thanks for the support :)

what a day.

Dude, You are insane if you will use that kind of filter again:aigo: Why not just use a Toyota filter and not have to worry about it exploding in half?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep! Could happen to just about any make of filter...except maybe the Canton Mecca :biglaugh:

I'd use a PureOne...overall track record is excellent.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
jdub, you should dissect a Denso USA filter. I'd really like to know what someone else thinks about them before I order a few. What with you being into that sort of thing... and me presenting my typical Supra-owner cheapness.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Poodles said:
shouldn't the BPV have stopped the filter from bursting?

Iirc the bypass valve setting on that filter is around 10-15 psi, as are most filters speced for this engine, including the OEM ones. Are you suggesting all those filters are in bypass when system oil pressure is above 10-15 psi? Do you understand what a BPV does and what pressure it responds to?

To the OP: How is your filter mount plumbed? Which line in the photo is oil into the mount?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
no, I understand how they work and all, but I thought it was there to stop the filter from bursting or the engine from being starved of oil if the filter is clogged...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Ok, guess I misunderstood what you were getting at. My bad. The BPV only responds to pressure across the filter media. Otherwise it'd be in bypass much of the time. In this case the filter seems to have mechanically failed at the base plate while under normal pressure.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I use the Moroso heavy case filters for this very reason, my Motor makes 92psi at cruise so there's a good chance of a burst filter if I forget and give it a rav when it's cold....

Sparkynutz

Sad previous supra owner
Feb 27, 2006
Waupun, WI
I understand you havent had problems with your brand of filters in the past but most parts are made dont just have one or two bad ones, they come in batches of bad ones till either the problem was cought and chances are they didnt find the real start of the problem and some went out anyways. it happens where i work everyday. this morning I heard of the shipping clerk noticing all kinds of bad product as it was being shipped out. they contacted the plant manager and we didnt have enough product made to replace all the possible bad pallets of product so he just said to replace the ones you can see on the outside of the pallet and shipped them out anyways. this stuff happens all the time, but with all the $ they make on the mass production the few claims that do come back are still cheaper than doing whats right and replace all the bad products. sad but true.

if i was you, and wanted to keep using that brand of filter i'd atleast order a new shipment of them so that hopefully the time they were made were at least days after the bad one that blew.
just my 2 cents.
Ryan