BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
OneJoeZee said:
And what reason would that be?

1. Check Valve
2. No more expensive than anything else. (I get 'em for $3.90 each!)
3. Toyota genuine parts (except oil filters, I suppose) are FTW.

Edit: Read next post. I still have a stash of the old P/N. So until I run out of those, that's what I'm using.

Last edited:

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Not much you can do when you get a defective part...that happens with ALL major manufacturers, including Toyota. Hopefully Purolator will come through and stand behind their product.

You guys that like Toyota filters...the new ones are made in Thailand. It's a mediocre filter at best....take a look at this thread:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

IMO, Wix and Purolator make the best filters out there. It sucks Mmmboost got a bad one...personally I think it's an isolated incident.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Jdub, what about the Champion Labs built filters? (Mobil 1, Bosch, etc) I've been using the Bosch filters for a few years with great results thus far :)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Speaking of filters and Toyota's Thailand-made ones. Has anyone ever looked at Denso's oil filters for comparison to Toyota's Japan/Thailand-made filters?

150-1002 is the OEM spec filter, and 150-1003 is the taller filter a lot of guys run ("V8" filter).

I was considering ordering a few Denso filters, but haven't really heard much about them.

EDIT: Looking into it, reading a study right now.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
wish we could get our hands on those first filters as they seem to be the most durable of the bunch...

denso is seems pretty good by that thread, and they bash the fram as usual LOL

shouldn't the BPV have stopped the filter from bursting? defective parts do happen, but this sucks...

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
On a somewhat similar note, it looks like I can probably still get 90915-10004 filters, so I'm gonna order myself 20 or so of those!

(Factory Japan-made taller 4-cylinder Toyota filters for my AE86, woot ;)).

EDIT: Looks like the 90915-10003 filters are still available too.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
MmmBoost said:
hahha.... so i went to toyota, estimate of repairs is $8906 including parts and labor

so hopefully i can get at least 50% of that and fix my shit :)

Get a lawyer and that repair quote and be ready to slap it in their face.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Doward said:
Jdub, what about the Champion Labs built filters? (Mobil 1, Bosch, etc) I've been using the Bosch filters for a few years with great results thus far :)

Mobil 1 is an excellent filter...synthetic media and stout construction. The K&N is similar, but uses conventional paper media.
The difference is cost...a Wix or PureOne is just as good (or better) performance wise for less $$$.

Poodles said:
shouldn't the BPV have stopped the filter from bursting? defective parts do happen, but this sucks...

Yes, it should have. Appears to be a filter with a couple of defects...bad BPV and weak seam holding the case to the filter base.

Jeff - is the filter you cross referenced a Denso resin media like the 2nd filter shown in my thread and is it compatible (diameter/length) with the 7M filter head ? If it is resin media, it is an excellent filter as well...what is the price per filter?

Just an FYI - the Amsoil EaO filter is superb...it's turning out numbers superior to all of the above, but is quite expensive in comparison (~$16 each). It's a Donaldson spun micro-glass synthetic media...I'll have to look into it to see if Donaldson makes the same filter for less.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Tundra Solutions Website said:
DENSO 150-1003 Cost: $9.50
Made in U.S.A.; also marked 115010-4190

Pleated filter, 0.033” thick, resin-impregnated synthetic and natural fibers. 46 pleats, 13.5mm deep, with 66mm height. Seam is sealed with crimped metal, and ends of pleats are sunk in hard sealant, enclosed in metal caps.
Total area = 0.081 sq. meter.

Eight entry holes, showing red silicone rubber ADB valve. Looking thru the outlet, the bypass valve’s metal cap can be seen at the far end. Bypass valve seat is a hard synthetic material.

Seating gasket is round O-ring, not crimped, 71mm O.D. and 64mm I.D.
The steel housing is very strong, 0.018” thick.

Filter has “torque-stopper” flange that seats hard against the engine’s mounting flange.

This filter is similar in internal construction to the PurONE filter listed below, but with a stronger housing and more filtering surface.

They're about $3.50 each.

Common Toyota Applications:

150-1000 = Toyota 90915-YZZF2 (Smallest filter, 4A-FE, 1ZZ-FE, 3S-FE, etc)
150-1001 = Toyota 90915-YZZF1 (Taller filter, 4A-GE, 2ZZ-GE, 3S-GTE, etc)
150-1002 = Toyota 90915-YZZD1 (Shorter "large" filter, stock for Supras, 2JZ-GE, 22R-E, etc)
150-1003 = Toyota 90915-YZZD3 (Larger "V8" Filter, also used on the newer V6's)