Oil Advice from the autozone employee

TomFraser

MOVE OVER JDUB, autozone employees are the new lubrication experts :)

I've had my supra long enough to drive it 5000 miles, and the last owner put dino oil in 2500 miles before i bought it, so it is time for an oil change.

I read up on a lot of jdubs advice (PAGES AND PAGES) and am going with castrol european formula 0 30

I went to autozone and had forgotten what the capacity was so I went up to the counter and asked the fat slop in a yankees hat how many quarts.

As soon as I say 1987 Toyota Supra he says "damn man... you should be drivin' a mustang or sumthin"

I give him a blank stare and find that 5 quarts will be plenty (bought a case of 6 anyways). Go get the stuff and go to pay, he says that I got the "WRONG OIL" and that I should use a higher weight because it is turbo charged.

Instead of giving him the death stare I simply told him to show me what type of oil to use. He brings me to the aisle and points out some shitty coastal stuff that is like 10 40. I asked for his reasoning and he just said that the coastal brand is better than synthetic and a higher weight is better because it is summer.

This is when I got so disgusted he was passing this information on to unsuspecting people, that I walked away from him as he was talking with my case in hand and went to a different register... it was VERY tempting to turn around and get a peek at the look on his face, but that would have ruined it, maybe being disrespected like that from a 17 year old will make him read up so he can get the right oil for his shitty 1988 mustang that is green, with one white door, and one red door.

figured some might get a laugh out of this

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
You must have gone to the middleboro Autozone, theyre fucking retarded there. As a matter of fact, I think I've seen the dumbass your talking about. I'm a regular at the raynham AZ, I like it there some of the staff are very knowledgeable and most are friendly. You just gotta know who to talk to. I hate when they dont have a part and send me to Middleboro, as the simple task of picking up a held item is a fucking challenge for them. Stoughton and brockton are kind of shitty too, but not nearly as bad as middleboro.

DBN

FML
Jan 22, 2009
Fairfield, Ca
Dude... Whenever I go into autozone I turn off the part of my brain that tells me to listen to their opinions. Once I went because I needed another air filter to hold me over that isn't oiled. The supervisor I believe asked me why not oiled and I told him my car has an AFM and it can destroy it. He told me it was bullshit then asked me what kind of car I drive. When I told him '89 supra he says "oh, if you had an american car you wouldn't have that problem."

TomFraser

CTsupra;1373532 said:
Five quarts is NOT plenty.

I got 6... you think that should do it? I honestly haven't checked the TSRM yet, was gonna do it right before the change.

I plan to run mobil 1 synthetic for about 200 miles, then swap to the castrol, hopefully this will clear the old out

and yes... it was the middleborough autozone.... since you are familiar with the FAT FUCK that must weigh in at 400-500 pounds you must also know the nerdy looking kid that wears glasses. Does he make you want to punch him in the face as much as me (constantly saying stupid shit like "you should sell your car to me for like 500 bucks")

and also is your supra white? I've seen two around here both white one is 89+ and the other is missing a moulding

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
I hate it when someone starts passing judgement on something you have, when you are their to buy product they sell. You didn't ask their opinion on what you 'should' have.

Next time someone pulls that on me "you should have..." I think I'll tell them "So you don't want to make a sell now on something I have? .. Then keep your opinion of what I should have to yourself. I didn't ask."

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
5.5 quarts is "full" according to the owners manual. It has been proven that the oil pan can hold an additional quart without oil being anywhere near the crank. Adding an extra quart will not hurt anything and will help keep the pickup from being uncovered during high speed cornering, or maneuvering.

Myself, I always ran seven quarts of GC with a purolator pureone filter on a stock oil system.

Also, what kind of dipstick do you have? You should have the "newer" style with the black handle. It's a lot easier to read.

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
TomFraser;1373542 said:
I got 6... you think that should do it? I honestly haven't checked the TSRM yet, was gonna do it right before the change.

I plan to run mobil 1 synthetic for about 200 miles, then swap to the castrol, hopefully this will clear the old out

and yes... it was the middleborough autozone.... since you are familiar with the FAT FUCK that must weigh in at 400-500 pounds you must also know the nerdy looking kid that wears glasses. Does he make you want to punch him in the face as much as me (constantly saying stupid shit like "you should sell your car to me for like 500 bucks")

and also is your supra white? I've seen two around here both white one is 89+ and the other is missing a moulding

Yes also familiar with him, and everyone in that store makes me wanna punch them in the face.

As much as I like the people in Raynham, the standard rule of thumb is never take advice from any of them. Danny, the manager at raynham, actually knows his shit, hes the small guy with like black hair and hes always wearing a hat. Hes got a saleen mustang which I despise.

As far as my supra, mines black, and what my father refers to as wasted space in the driveway, because its waiting for a new motor, and I refuse to park it in the dirt.

TomFraser

CTsupra;1373550 said:
5.5 quarts is "full" according to the owners manual. It has been proven that the oil pan can hold an additional quart without oil being anywhere near the crank. Adding an extra quart will not hurt anything and will help keep the pickup from being uncovered during high speed cornering, or maneuvering.

Myself, I always ran seven quarts of GC with a purolator pureone filter on a stock oil system.

Also, what kind of dipstick do you have? You should have the "newer" style with the black handle. It's a lot easier to read.

honestly forget what kind of dipstick i have

how much oil will be in the engine after a drain? I will be running that + 6 quarts

I plan to drain what i have in there (replace filter), replace with mobil 1 run for 200 miles, drain, replace filter, fill with 6 quarts of castrol

thanks for the advice and hints though... I appreciate it, I'll keep posting my plans, let me know if i'm doing something wrong/stupid ;)

TomFraser

lewis15498;1373556 said:
Yes also familiar with him, and everyone in that store makes me wanna punch them in the face.

As much as I like the people in Raynham, the standard rule of thumb is never take advice from any of them. Danny, the manager at raynham, actually knows his shit, hes the small guy with like black hair and hes always wearing a hat. Hes got a saleen mustang which I despise.

As far as my supra, mines black, and what my father refers to as wasted space in the driveway, because its waiting for a new motor, and I refuse to park it in the dirt.

lol... I have a black one sitting right next to mine parked on dirt, missing an engine as well.

It's there for spare parts and has paid for itself several times over (CPS, random hoses, radiator, etc.) the last owner of my black one replaced lots of things so when something on my running homo blue, is broken or out of spec it is a free fix :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
lolzzz.

go to the full mark on the dipstick and then add a qt. that way when you go around turns the oil doesn't slosh to the side and the pump doesn't not pick up any fluid. our pans are huge so they can handle it.

german castrol ftw.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
So you went 7500 miles between oil changes on a used car you just bought?? :aigo: Thats if he actually had changed it 2500 miles before you bought it.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Not to hijack, has anyone even thought of measuring dipstick length to see how long from the top of the dipstick tube to the bottom of the rotating assembly so you will have an accurate dipstick and know how much you can put in before it has adverse effects?

One could even change the dipstick to a conventional flat one that is easier to read with knowing the right length to "full". Even a measurement from the pan rail to the bottom most part of the rotating assembly would be good to know.

I was thinking of doing this But already installed the pan, im gonna see if i can figure something out anyway. Whats the closest the oil level could come to the rotating assembly without possibility of being whipped?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I never go to auto zone any more, I went in a while back for something and all the labels were in spanish. Its not uncommon to see the majority of products with english and spanish on the packaging. However, the stuff was spanish only no english what so ever. I thought maybe it was that one isolated store, went to another and the same thing.

If thats the market they want to cater to then they can rely on their pesos then.

On topic:
You should have made sure you knew the capacity(+1) so you wouldn't even need to acknowledge them, you walked right into that one. The guy probably thought he had you pegged when you ask how much oil you need. Its hard to act above them when you rely on them at the same time ; p

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
iwannadie;1373607 said:
I never go to auto zone any more, I went in a while back for something and all the labels were in spanish. Its not uncommon to see the majority of products with english and spanish on the packaging. However, the stuff was spanish only no english what so ever. I thought maybe it was that one isolated store, went to another and the same thing.

If thats the market they want to cater to then they can rely on their pesos then.

Dude, thats kind of racist. so what if there is english and spanish on the box, and I've yet to see a spanish only label there. If you go to a supermarket and the wet floor sign says caution and ciodado, do you turn around an leave?
Either way your beef is with the manufacturer who printed the box, not autozone the merchant. We live in a multilingual society, your gonna have to get used to seeing things like this. If you want to live in a society where english is the only language spoken, move to England.