New 5th gear for the R154 - how about a taller overdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maximum fuel mileage will be obtained with widest throttle opening and lower RPM, provided that the ECU remains in closed loop mode to keep the mixture stoiciometric. Specifically, when boost begins, the ECU is taken out of closed loop mixture control, and the mixture richens. The more an engine is throttled, the lower the efficiency. So, a 3.73 rear with a taller fifth gear should result in better fuel economy, but downshift going up grades if boost begins.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Cz.;1304073 said:
I don't know about you guys, but I just want it so I can hit a ditch at 210mph.

FTFY.............at least you won't have to worry about being a vegetable, cause there's no way you're going to live through it. Maybe at 160 you have a one percent chance of living, but not at 210.........:evil2:

Now, I have to go back and read the last few pages to see what I've missed.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
All kinds of stuff, Jay. When gas prices go back up, I'd like to know I'm knocking 30+ in my Supra, so I can justify driving it on long trips ;)

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Low speed cruising with my 373s sound iffy.. I'm not up on gearing just yet.. Would this raise the top speed trans wise???

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yep, it would definitely increase the top speed :)

Top speed in my setup - 3.91 rear / 26" tall tire - (provided I can redline 7400rpm in 5th) would be ~ 222 mph.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Clueless;1299875 said:
Hey doward, you're going to be running some long term real world test for these right? Just saying, before you sell a bunch of them....

As test subject I will see how it handles 2 step launches and no-lift shifting. :)

dejacky

Jun 12, 2005
"taxus"
I want this taller 5th gear, it's perfect for long road trips and lowering my cruising rpms. So, what's the status on this part?

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
So you would be up for rebuilding the transmission as well? I assume you would be ok with installing the martin crawler parts if we supply them?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I'd practically require the MC parts. ;)

The stock bearing retainer is total shit, and the 1st gear thrust washer is a known weak point.

I'll be doing no more than 3 or 4 such rebuilds, though. If you're dead set on it, I suggest you get in line quickly.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Standby for pics!

New 5th gear on the right, old 5th gear on the left (to give you an idea of size difference):

New Nylon spacer for the 1st gear bearing:

1st gear in with the new synchro:

MC 1st gear solid thrust washer:

MC HD Bearing Retainer Plate + 5th gear Counter gear:

Speedometer driver gear installed / 5th gear counter assembly installed / Shift fork installed:

Here you can see a little something I like doing to the shift rods - I did a light polish on the top one, and the other two are not done yet. Nothing like helping it slide easier:

All the shift rods / forks installed:

Various views:

Reverse idler gear:

Magnet:

Assembly:

Front case:

Front assembled:

So what are we waiting on? The tail housing is cleaned and ready to go - I'm waiting on a snap ring from Toyota (K-mark for the output shaft bearing) and then the tail goes on, and off to Jeff's for testing!

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
Doward;

I know either way i would be vary interested in getting one, due to the fact that i have to drive almost 100miles just to get anywhere, and its all basicly flat, plus i drive at 80, not 70.

What kinda price tag would i be looking at would you say right now for a complete "shorter" 5th gear and all?

Status
Not open for further replies.