New 5th gear for the R154 - how about a taller overdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I think this would be awesome to match with a 4.30 rear end to get the max mechanical advantage on the low end and still do about the same cruising on the highway. Subscribed!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
I wish someone around here had a 4.30 to test it with! Well, at least we're going to hit the other end of the spectrum - 3.73s + new 5th gear. This will ensure no bogging ;)

I REALLY can't wait to see what this does on the highway! With gas prices going up, this is going to mean many more days I can afford to pull the Supra out for a spin to the beach, or just wherever I want to go!

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Doward;1322526 said:
I wish someone around here had a 4.30 to test it with! Well, at least we're going to hit the other end of the spectrum - 3.73s + new 5th gear. This will ensure no bogging ;)

I REALLY can't wait to see what this does on the highway! With gas prices going up, this is going to mean many more days I can afford to pull the Supra out for a spin to the beach, or just wherever I want to go!

Hey, my Supra is currently in pieces (not even a subframe under the front...) and I've got a nice little R154 sitting on a table that could really use a rebuild and a taller overdrive. I'd be more than happy to do that testing you require. :D

*waiting intently for a price and your paypal address* lol

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
the problem i always had with r154's was not the gears but the balls in the bearings crushing, under the force of the car at WOT and hard shifts... Anyone have a resolution for new stronger bearings?

BTW my fav smell in the world is transmission oil... I love how it leaves the sent deep in the nostrils..

YUM :barf:

Now what is the point of the nylon washer for first? what purpose does it serve?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
It's stock - it just positions the bearing in the appropriate place. Very rarely does it get replaced, but I wanted to show the quality level I strive for.

I've seen the 1st gear thrust washer get destroyed in the r154, but never seen a bearing crushed in any transmission I've ever seen.

You'd have to completely wear the bearings out and go way above and beyond destruction to do that! Got any pics?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
got_boosted;1322796 said:
Hey, my Supra is currently in pieces (not even a subframe under the front...) and I've got a nice little R154 sitting on a table that could really use a rebuild and a taller overdrive. I'd be more than happy to do that testing you require. :D

*waiting intently for a price and your paypal address* lol

No problem - but as with anything I build, I won't sell a single thing until I've had the chance to test it out! ;)

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Doward;1322851 said:
No problem - but as with anything I build, I won't sell a single thing until I've had the chance to test it out! ;)

I know. I'm just chomping at the bit here and would love to have one of these before it's time to put my engine back in. If that doesn't happen, it's no big deal though. I'll just put it back in as is and pull it back out later. :)

Collin

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
3.5 hours of diligence paid off! 5:30-9p, we pulled Jeff's old R154 out and slid my fresh, tight transmission in.

Tomorrow after noon, we'll be filling her with oil, checking things over, and starting the break-in period. I want to put 200-300 miles on the r154 before we really start tearing into it ;)

Figure we'll fill it with fluid, do 20-30 minutes, then drain/flush/fill the tranny with fresh oil and go do the 200-300 miles, and repeat (just to ensure nice, clean lube.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
...That's what she said...

Anyways hope the weather gets a little better tomorrow, its been 2 days of constant cold rain... in May... in Summer...

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Spent the day breaking in the transmission. I wasn't kidding when I said I built that thing tight, was I? :D

Jeff's running around on it now!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Well, Jeff's had a small snag - the throwout system seems to have come apart. Dropping the transmission down tomorrow to find out what went wrong.

I know he's pissed, as his dad put the clutch in.... we'll see tomorrow what happened.

BUT - driving around, he shifted at around 2500rpm in 4th gear down to about 1500rpm in 5th gear. No bogging from the car in any way.

We're hoping to get some real WOT runs in tomorrow afternoon ;)

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Doward;1326716 said:
Well, Jeff's had a small snag - the throwout system seems to have come apart. Dropping the transmission down tomorrow to find out what went wrong.

I know he's pissed, as his dad put the clutch in.... we'll see tomorrow what happened.

BUT - driving around, he shifted at around 2500rpm in 4th gear down to about 1500rpm in 5th gear. No bogging from the car in any way.

We're hoping to get some real WOT runs in tomorrow afternoon ;)

I'm really not sure what bogging you're looking for? You mean the engine isn't making enough power to push the car against x resistance at x rpm as in you throw 5th and actually slow down, or just having no balls at 2000rpms at 65 mph or something?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
A lot of people are concerned that the 5th gear will be too steep, causing the engine to 'bog' or have trouble accelerating from lower rpm.

I'm just testing to allay those fears. ;)

got_boosted

Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Doward;1326949 said:
A lot of people are concerned that the 5th gear will be too steep, causing the engine to 'bog' or have trouble accelerating from lower rpm.

I'm just testing to allay those fears. ;)

Maybe a little with the 3.73's. With 4.30's I really don't see it being a problem. Should make for a perfect 5th gear.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Today was a BUSY day! LOTS of work done (Jeff's clutch release hub BROKE so we tossed my spare on) and Jeff's got a cell phone pic @ 70mph with 3.73s :) It's not a GPS verified speed yet, but it's progress ;)

Went ripping through the gears MANY times today, with lots of great shift action and just feeling good with the C's shifter ;)

I want to do more top end testing with the 5th gear before I start selling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.