My 1986.5 Supra build up thread

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Well as I'm sure most people do I have big plans...but I figured I might need some help along the way. I figured I'd make one of these fancy build up threads to keep people posted to my progress and such.

Basically I'm going to start off with the basic information.

My car is a 1986.5 Supra, with 1989+ front bumper, spoiler, and tail lights. Oh and also a 1987 7M-GTE, its also got the R154 transmission.

Basically my first idea when I got the car was that I wanted this car to look like it was brand new. It wasnt to bad looking to begin with so I figured it would be a little easier. Overall my short term plans are to get the car repainted, and to shave off some weight.

Before I talk too much more here are some pictures of my car as it is now.

p781533_1.jpg

p781533_2.jpg

Sorry there are no pics of the engine bay, the car is actually at a local shop right now having some basic repairs done to it...as soon as I get the car back though I'll be sure to post some pics.

I figured also that before I added anything in terms of power, I would make the car lighter, not sure why, just something I thought would be a good idea.

Anyway after numerous times holding the hood open for long periods of time...I decided the first step in lightening my car would be to buy a carbon fiber hood. So I went about buying a brand new VIS carbon fiber oem style hood, and that should be arriving sometime this week.

One more thing I had also been considering was changing the color to a different blue, I already kind of had a blue in mind, but I am unsure on how to get ahold of it. Its actually a blue that toyota used as a stock color on thier 2000+ celicas.

It looks like this:

http://www.mr2s.co.uk/big_celica_blue.jpg

I think I really like that blue though, kind of dark but nice and glossy too...

Also I wanted to buy some new rims to replace the sawblades that are on there right now...but I have this problem where I think that most rims are over priced for rotating pieces of metal...but anyway I'm open to many different styles, but I think I like either a black or bronze color to the rims...either way I'm eventually going to get some rims for it even if I do have to drop more money than I feel is right...

Anyway, thats my progress so far...unfortunatly I dont think I'll be able to update too much until my car is back from the shop. But I might at least have some pics of the hood before then.

-Randy

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Yeah I think I like the way the 89+ looks a little better, but unfortunatly I can't take credit for the job done on my car, it was the previous owner.

EDIT: Does anyone know any rims I can get for under $500 (more if they are shipped) that arnt stock, preferably black or bronze or something like that.

Last edited:

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
No its not stock, the previous owner painted it that color, he said it was called "Viper Blue", perhaps its the same type of blue they put on the old dodge vipers?

PS: Also is it safe to buy cheap rims on ebay...I wanted to kind of cheap out on the rims but I didnt want them to like break apart if I go over a bump...

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Well I'm happy to say that my carbon fiber hood came today!:icon_bigg

I'll cut right to the pics:

p782875_1.jpg

p782875_2.jpg

p782875_3.jpg

And man this thing is light, easily half as heavy as the box it came in, nice and glossy too.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
I figured this needed a new post because it was truly an update.

Anyway, I located some paint for my car at www.expresspaint.com. They seem to carry alot of paint and happened to have the exact color I'm looking for (Spectra Blue Mica 8M6). Still looking for some rims, does anyone know any information about the ADR brand, I see alot of those on ebay and I was just wondering if it was a real cheap brand to stay away from, if not I might be getting some ADR rims sometime. (also does anyone happen to know how many quarts of paint it takes to paint a whole supra, because these quarts of paint are like $114 each...)

PS: Does anyone have, or know anyone that has, some stock headlight covers, you know that plastic bit that you see when the headlight is closed, I need to replace an aftermarket one that is on the passenger side light, I don't mind the look its just this one was put on very crappily and I think its made of paper...

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Hey actually something kind of urgent has come up. This shop where my car is at called up today, basically they said that t whoever swapped the engine did kind of a bad job. So long story short, the fuel system is kind of shot, but most of it is fixable easy, the only hard part is the fuel injector rail. Apparently the guy who did the swap didn't have a fuel injector rail, so made one out of something that took along time to explain, again I'm going to cut this story a little short, I need a fuel injector rail, and I was thinking I would ask here. I would absolutly be willing to pay for this part and even shipping if need be, just contact me however you want, you could pm me here or drop a message by on aim.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Its actually mostly carbon fiber, with a fiberglass underpanel for support, or at least thats what they told me.

EDIT: Also the crisis of the fuel rail I had erlier has already been solved, thanks everybody!

Last edited:

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Well, in a few days the CF hood will be on, I decided to have a shop do it to get it done quick. After that I can't really decide what to do to the car. I'll have about $2000 left, and thats not enough to do alot to it but its probably enough to have something nice right? Anyone have any ideas?

Well I guess you might not have ideas unless I told you what I wanted to do to the car. I guess overall I just want to have a nice supra thats decently fast, I'm not sure that I want like 800hp or something like that. I just want some moderate power for the road. But I would really like to take care of performance before looks.

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Kangae said:
No its not stock, the previous owner painted it that color, he said it was called "Viper Blue", perhaps its the same type of blue they put on the old dodge vipers?

PS: Also is it safe to buy cheap rims on ebay...I wanted to kind of cheap out on the rims but I didnt want them to like break apart if I go over a bump...

There are a number of people on here running Stern or ADR wheels which can be found on ebay. These wheels are rather heavy but I have not heard of any structural weaknesses so far. If you want to spend a bit more money, you could go here and get some used wheels of higher quality.

http://www.rbwheels.com/

This is where I got my wheels from and I am very satisfied.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Well I got my car back yesterday. Its got the CF hood on it now...not to mention the car drives better than ever now.

I'll have some pics up tomorrow when its daylight out...since the sun goes down juat about the same time I get up on the weekends.

Also, I was hoping to upgrade to 17" rims at some point, I was just wondering...I don't understand these dimensions at all...nor do I know the mk3's maximum wheel dimensions or things like that...Id hate to buy 17" wheels that are way too wide...

Maybe as a point of reference, I'm looking at these rims that say 17x7, does that mean 17" in diametar and 7" wide? Also would that fit ok? One more thing, what is a good tire profile to go with 17" rims, and how wide should I go in the back in terms of tires, or can I even get wider tires because they only offer 17" rims in one width?

Thanks in advance for any help any of you might be able to offer.

Last edited:

Tgood

All throttle no bottle
Dec 16, 2005
ennis/dfw
That's a nice car to start out with. With part of the $2000 you have left I would do lots of maintenance and a 3" exhaust, down pipe, and a cold air intake. That will wake the car up a lot. Yes the 17x7 is 17" tall and 7" wide. That's a little skinny. In the rear you can go up to 10" wide and somtimes bigger depending on the tire size and if you roll the fenders. I don't know to much about fitment in the front. There's a wheel fitment thread in the general discussion forum now. I would suggest you search a lot because a lot of this can be found very easily and some of these guys are pricks and they complain if you ask basic question without searching.
Taylor

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Hmm...alright, thanks for the help, ill look for some of those.

Also I already have a 3" exhaust back from the turbo.

But again thanks for pointing me int he right direction.

Kangae

Buzzin' Half Dozen
Sep 13, 2007
Utica, New York
Well I've decided that I need to get something done on my car. So today was a pretty nice day and I washed it and I really like the way it looks now. Still a few things coming up. As a graduation present I'm getting new rims and tires, so thats cool. And I've saved up a few thousand dollars for some body work.

Basically, I'm getting the whole car repainted, and some dents taken out, the window trim replaced, the side trim replaced, the side skirt is falling off, one of the corner pieces for my spoiler is in my garage and not on my car. Basically I'm going to get all that taken care of and then I think my car will look pretty nice.

Anyway I took some pictures of my car after I got done washing it for the first time this season. Also some pics of my cousin's Celica in there too.

p988931_1.jpg

p988931_2.jpg

p988931_3.jpg

p988931_4.jpg

p988931_5.jpg

p988931_6.jpg

Last edited: