MkIII Supra Logo Keychain - Order Now

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
Ok, I got mine today. I just want to be the devil's advocate here, not whining, hating, moaning or anything like that, just my personal, honest opinion. First of all props to Keith for organizing the whole gb as well and efficiently as he did, there's no doubt that he did a great job on that task. My complain is more design related. I was already a bit disappointed when I first saw an actual picture of the keychain. My main dislike was regarding the height of the font, I mean more or less we all knew what a 2" length will be like but the keychain looked so narrow.

I sort of had a hidden hope that as soon as I'd receive it, its actual looks in the flesh would impress me some how plus I had already seen what it looked like so that would decrease the disappointment. Unfortunatelly it didn't. When I got it out of the envelope I was gobsmacked by how tiny it looked and when I took it of the bag it also felt so too. I mean, why on earth did it have to be so thin? That's something like 1mm thick and the material feels so malleable.

Actually just by holding it in my fingers and checking it out it did bend slightly, I swear I don't exajurate and I wasn't trying to bend it either. My point is that for such a one off piece I would expect a better choice of dimensions and materials so that it would be ensured that it will last long enough. I don't remember who mentioned the pocket issue, he actually got quite mocked about doing so but honestly, depending on how you put this thing in your pocket if you sit down it will just snap in half.

I was hoping that we would beat the mkiv guys with this one but unfortunatelly even the cheapo keychains that are available for them are of far superior quality and design.

Here's an example:

p182187_1.jpg

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
yannis - I am not sure how you bent the keychain just by holding it in your fingers. I'm no wimp and I actually had to put some pressure on mine before it would give - Timmy - your keychain was the bent one. j/k

The company that made these makes keychains all the time - one of their main products actually. They have years of experience in making keychains.

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
My question is that apart from the length x width dimensions why did it have to be so thin as well? It wouldn't hurt to be 2-3mm thick instead of 1mm. Do you not think that 1mm is extremely thin? I mean if you think of all the effort you put in this and had so many forum members motivated to buy this, wouldn't it be better for everyone to get a keychain durable enough to withstand everyday, normal use? These are just genuine comments Keith, I know this is over and done with and in no way am I trying to argue with you or make what you achieved look any less that it actually is.
It's just that knowing that this is a piece that required so much effort and organizing and will probably not be made again, I would like it to be a bit special and of decent quality at least.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
yannis - I appreciate your comments. I tend to get a little close to my projects and wind up jumping too quickly with my reply.

I can see the bottom part of the "u" being the weakest point in this keychain since it has the least amount of metal. I tried flexing a few when I first received the box and none of them would move for me under "normal" usage. If I were to do this again I would consider making the keychain more solid - instead of having the metal cut out in some of the letters. I think that would be a better alternative than having the keychain be thicker.

Keith

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
In normal KeyChain use I can't see it needing any more strength but I suspect you could break it in abmormal usage! (Can't wait to see pics of keychain failures from "I was just driving along and it broke" ) ;)

yannis-supras

Lag hater
Jun 13, 2005
Athens, Greece
IJ. said:
In normal KeyChain use I can't see it needing any more strength but I suspect you could break it in abmormal usage! (Can't wait to see pics of keychain failures from "I was just driving along and it broke" ) ;)
What happened to that Toyota rationale of over-engineering??? I thought that it was to be followed on this keychain also, that's what I'm used to when it comes down to my Supra anyway :biglaugh:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
yannis-supras said:
What happened to that Toyota rationale of over-engineering??? I thought that it was to be followed on this keychain also, that's what I'm used to when it comes down to my Supra anyway :biglaugh:
Yannis: These are aftermarket racer parts built using the latest FEA software to be the lightest of their type known to Mk3 kind! ;)

xscurry

Apr 1, 2005
Houston, Texas
Received my keychain today. Very happy with the purchase. :thumbup: Thanks Keith.

- Ryan K

Took some quick pics:

t83czs.jpg

t83dhk.jpg

t84sk3.jpg

t845xk.jpg

Last edited:

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
keithH said:
If I were to do this again
DO EET!!!
KeithH said:
I would consider making the keychain more solid - instead of having the metal cut out in some of the letters. I think that would be a better alternative than having the keychain be thicker.
Also, could they be taller? :D Im a nitpicker I know :D

How's the zippo idea coming along? I actually just broke the internals of my zippo, so you can have the case if you want it. I'll trade you for another black keychain lol, I don't want to screw up the blue one, as I may embed it in the dash :)

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
Also, could they be taller?

We wanted to keep the same dimensions of the original logo.

Am still researching the lighter idea. I've got a design in the works that should be as hot as the flame coming out of the lighter.