MK3 suspension guide

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
bilstein/st combo here. very happy with it. no bouncy, it's a little rough at times, but much better than i expected it to be. the first time i saw my car from the outside driving, though... it looks like it rides pretty harsh. but it's quite nice. i'm sure i have a picture somewhere... let me see....

Attachments

• DSC01063_small.jpg
    DSC01063_small.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 178

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
Progressive RS*R springs and Koni yellows. I'd rather have linear rate springs but the ride and stance is good. Pretty moderate drop and level. Avoid Tokico Blues like the plague!!

17s and 235/45s
normal_tanker.jpg

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
catch2nd said:
any opinons on the TEMS tokicos? I really like the idea of driver controlled dampening without the cost of the tein edfc

People have said they are a bit stiffer than stock. I have also read that they tend to fail often as well.

They also have lifetime warranty. You can also get new tems shocks from Toyota for about the same price.

Dan

catch2nd

80's toyota lover
Mar 30, 2005
Oldest fair in CT
Blue87T(Dan) said:
People have said they are a bit stiffer than stock. I have also read that they tend to fail often as well.

They also have lifetime warranty. You can also get new tems shocks from Toyota for about the same price.

Dan

only a bit stiffer? I thought they were supposed to compare to other performace struts

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Do a search on SF. You should be able to find some reviews and opinions. I had started a thread about this here PH (pre-hack) and got some good info and responses.

Too bad its gone, the f-ing bastards.

Dan

ssupple

Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
I just installed JIC FLT-A2s on my 91, best upgrade to date. The initail $$ is steep but well worth the price. They are a perfect balance between ride quality and performance at the softer compression settings for everyday use; as well as offer the option of all the stiffness and preload adjustemnt needed for an occasional track day.

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Anyone have pictures of a Tein SS or Tein Flex setup? Curious to see the stance, I already know the specs are what I want..

ladmo

Apr 4, 2005
Boostedstr8six said:
Softish and don't last long. I'm much happier with the konis.

Agreed. Ive been running Tokico Blue's with H&R springs and it just doesnt feel as stiff as it should be. Im prob gona get rid if these and pick up some Blistiens or Koni shocks sometime soon.

K

ktownmk3

kamil said:
Anyone have pictures of a Tein SS or Tein Flex setup? Curious to see the stance, I already know the specs are what I want..

Remember, they are coilovers so you decide the stance yourself, everyones will be different and you can make it exactly what you want.

My setup:
Bilstiens middle perch in front, lowest in back
HnRs
ST sway bars stiffer setting in rear
Ebay front strut tower bar
Cusco rear strut tower bar
JDM hatch bar(in mail)

Rides stiff but not bouncy, so much damn fun, I fucking love it
pics
9.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

silver88turbo

Former Owner
Mar 30, 2005
Illinois
I would avoid Tokicos. Sure they have a warranty but who want to go through the hassle of replacing shocks all the time? And yes I have the TEMS ones....wish I bought the bilsteins.

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
silver88turbo said:
I would avoid Tokicos. Sure they have a warranty but who want to go through the hassle of replacing shocks all the time? And yes I have the TEMS ones....wish I bought the bilsteins.

the blistens are manual adjusting correct?