MK3 suspension guide

catch2nd

80's toyota lover
Mar 30, 2005
Oldest fair in CT
I have been reading a lot of reviews about to tokicos illuminas (the white TEMS ones)

It seems that the older reviews had a lot of complaints about the shocks blowing, but that problem has been fixed. The tokico blues don't get very good reviews.

So for a shock, that is TEMS compatable its your ONLY option.... I really like the idea of ride control, so I think i will give them a try.... 935motorsports said that the tokicos, eibach springs, and st swaybars allowed one mk3 driver to break 1g on the skid pad.

Just because the ride is softish doesn't mean its not grippy.... i come from 12 years of kart racing and legends car racing, (the legends car uses bilstein shocks btw) and know for a FACT that the stiffest shock is not always the fastest shock when it comes to taking a turn.

I guess what I am getting at is that if you are going to post "don't buy ......, they suck" give us a reason why

-Dustin

Last edited:

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I got some Turbo R Bilstiens with my front clip, now I need some lowering springs, I cant decide, I dont want it super low or really stiff..........any other opinions?.

How low do the ST's make the car?

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
becauseican said:
I got some Turbo R Bilstiens with my front clip, now I need some lowering springs, I cant decide, I dont want it super low or really stiff..........any other opinions?.

My suggestion to you for something not so stiff and low is a set of Tein Type Flex's. $1270 from 935 is the best deal I've seen. I'd also check SP Engineering to see if they'll beat that price. I got mine from Hugh at SP, who beat Titan's price of $1326, which was the cheapest I knew of at the time. I got them for $1325 with free shipping. I deal with Hugh exclusively, who provides great service and deals. I hope this helps.

silver88turbo

Former Owner
Mar 30, 2005
Illinois
catch2nd said:
Whats makes them so bad??? all you said is that you wish you bought the bilstiens.....

I have blown two so far and I dont drive my car particularly hard through the twisties. Plus their customer service blows. Keeping the TEMS is not worth the hassle IMO.

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
becauseican said:

I believe they say 1.3 inches. I am sure that varies with each indivual vehicle somewhat.

Mine are going on tomorrow as long as the forcast for rains holds.

I will be taking before and after pics to give you guys a visual.

Dan

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
catch2nd said:
Just because the ride is softish doesn't mean its not grippy.... i come from 12 years of kart racing and legends car racing, (the legends car uses bilstein shocks btw) and know for a FACT that the stiffest shock is not always the fastest shock when it comes to taking a turn.

I guess what I am getting at is that if you are going to post "don't buy ......, they suck" give us a reason why

-Dustin

They don't feel like they are controlling bound/rebound very well, kind of sloppy feeling. Plus they don't seem to last long most of the time. The konis were a huge improvement.

catch2nd

80's toyota lover
Mar 30, 2005
Oldest fair in CT
I have blown two so far and I dont drive my car particularly hard through the twisties. Plus their customer service blows. Keeping the TEMS is not worth the hassle IMO.

Boostedstr8six said:
They don't feel like they are controlling bound/rebound very well, kind of sloppy feeling. Plus they don't seem to last long most of the time. The konis were a huge improvement.

Okay.... maybe i willl consider something else, thanks for the info guys

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I got new TEMS shockers from toyota for $50AUD each with stock springs thay are ok, I feel with firmer springs and a 1inch drop it should be very nice! once thats sorted ill see how I go!

I have also had polly bushes in my lower controll arms for a year or so now, has anyone else found the bushes wear to give front-back movement in there controll arms?

Allan

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Allan_MA70 said:
I got new TEMS shockers from toyota for $50AUD each with stock springs thay are ok, I feel with firmer springs and a 1inch drop it should be very nice! once thats sorted ill see how I go!

I have also had polly bushes in my lower controll arms for a year or so now, has anyone else found the bushes wear to give front-back movement in there controll arms?

Allan
Good to see another Melbourne Supra here Allan!

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
You got new Toyota TEMS for 50.00AU$ each?

That is very inexpensive.

DrJonez installed my ST springs today.

I will post before and after pictures on Monday.

I am very pleased with the appearence and the ride quality.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I've had my Eibach/Tokico (non-adjustable) on my 87T and now on my 90TT and really enjoy the everyday driving/handling... The only thing I had left to do was install my nylon bushings (but I never got around to it in 3 years).

Besides all that, I loved the stance it had... a friend had some Suspension Techniques/Tokicos on his 89 N/A and it was too low, I never liked how his handled either.

Here's the 87T a couple years back.... :cool:

satan1.jpg

satan3.jpg

satan4.jpg

Last edited:

Blue87T(Dan)

Mar 30, 2005
St. Clair Shores, MI
Ok

Here are the before and after pictures with the ST springs installed.

I am pleased with the drop. Please keep in mind that I was not looking to go extreme, as I drive my car every day and comfort was just as important (if not more so) to me as looks.

I could not feel any noticeable difference in either the handling characteristics or the ride quality between these and the original 18-year-old stockers (TEMS) that have about 57K. They both ride damn nice.

The after pictures could look better but it has been cold and I didn't feel like washing the car first. It was also overcast.

I think for 140.00 shipped for all 4 you can’t beat the ST springs if you want to get a bit lower.

This might give some you folks a better idea on what to expect if you decide to go this route.

Once again, thanks to Dr.Jonez for the install. I asked him if he wanted to look at the info that came with them and he just laughed, said no, and put them in exactly as the install instructions stated.

Before

p16276_1.jpg

After

p16276_2.jpg