MickyG's MX-73 to 7M-GE Swap

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Oh yea, sorry man. :)
FYI I sent the ecu on Wednesday I couldn't find the cable bracket for the tranny on the car we bought. :icon_conf

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The engine will probably be pulled tomorrow so I can get some better shots for you.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
That's cool man - judging by these pics, getting this arrangement to work on my engine would be an exercise in pure madness!

There are two cables tied to that linkage (the one on the valve cover). Are they the throttle cable and the cruise cable? If so, that's totally different to how ours are done. Over here, the cruise cable is tied directly to the gas pedal. If I'm wrong there, let me know cause I'm very curious as to what that all is!

Thanks again for sending the ECU!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Small update:

I'm still trying to get a throttle linkage for the Supra TB. The one on it doesn't have a cam for the auto tranny pressure plate. Other than that, I think I have everything else ready to go!

I did find a bit of a disappointment this weekend though. The stock 5M exhaust is 2" (at least to the inlet of the cat) and the stock 7M (talking cressies here) is 2.5". Again, inlet of the cat - I haven't measured the main pipes to see if there's any change. Anyway, I attempted to transplant the 7M exhaust into my current 5M powered car and BZZZT! Wrong! The center muffler fouls on the rear suspension. I forgot how much more compact the MA-70/MX-83 suspension is over the trailing link design of the earlier cars. So some exhaust modification is required if I want to run the stock exhaust.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Got our broadband connection back up the other day so pics are now much more doable. What exactly was I wanting to post though...

(EDIT)

How bout these:

Supra throttle linkage (minus the auto tranny cable linkage)
p519739_1.jpg

and the MX-83 Cressida linkage (with the tranny cable linkage)
p519739_2.jpg

As you can see, the Supra linkage is more complicated with the cable linkage driving the throttle plate via another link. I can't just remove the MX-83 link because it lacks the extra "pin" to drive the secondary linkage.

I also can't just use the MX-83 TB because it's shorter and lacks the connections for ISC air tube, vacuum ports are positioned diferently, PCV hardline faces wrong direction, and there's no way to stably mount the dumb thing to the head with the stock supra Y pipe.

And there's no way I want to not use the tuned ACIS intake runner system!

Last edited:

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
If I were able to get to mkiiitech (some random issue with DNS from my provider), I could show you a picture!

Ended up obtaining the proper TB from Allan!