MickyG's MX-73 to 7M-GE Swap

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Not sure what I was expecting to find - it's a loom with yellow plugs! Of course it'll fit, physically. It's electrically I'm worried about.

I can't find anything to suggest there were any major changes to the NA ECU. Then again, I can't see anything that says the ECU change was only for the turbo only either.

I also completely forgot to look at what the other 3 connectors on the loom go to. I'm assuming that's all body connectors?

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
JustAnotherVictim said:
I want pictures man, I'm visual like that.

Ask and you shall receive! Just sorry it took so long to get my act together. My camera got stolen, along with the pics of the last few rebuild steps. I didn't loose all that much and can probably retake a few.

Block all prepped and ready for head install:
p451411_1.jpg

Head ready to go back where it belongs:
p451411_2.jpg

Socket clearance problems (sorted out by machining .5mm off the diameter):
p451411_3.jpg

Bypass pipe installed:
p451411_4.jpg

Jtube installed:
p451411_5.jpg

Yes, there's lots of corrosion! I plan to run some descaler/antirust stuff through the cooling system a few times before I put the proper coolant in it.

Not much else happening on it. Still have to fit the cams, double check shim clearances, install all the other ancilliary bits and pieces, then actually put it in!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Like I said before, don't stress too much man! Jake tells me you bought some parts off him a few months back. He couldn't remember what though. I guess he sells a lot of parts! Too bad my brother lives on the other side of the planet, otherwise I'd be robbing his parts cars blind!

By the way, the only potential differences I saw in ECUs was the transition from low impedance fuel injectors to high impedance ones. I don't suppose you remember what yours were on your 88? Mine are about 2.7 ohms. It's not a big deal, just need to know up front so I can get the proper stuff to make them work!

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Ohhh... I had asked him about a hatch for the 3-piece wing but the shipping was more than what he was charging for the hatch, lol.
Unfortunate for me, it was a beautiful piece.

mickyg said:
By the way, the only potential differences I saw in ECUs was the transition from low impedance fuel injectors to high impedance ones. I don't suppose you remember what yours were on your 88? Mine are about 2.7 ohms. It's not a big deal, just need to know up front so I can get the proper stuff to make them work!

The injectors were changed and a resistor pack was either added or removed, I always forget which but I don't think it should affect the ecu at all. IIRC that is.
Mine were low impedance, pre89 are all low impedance 89+ are high.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Yeah, I know the feeling. Try shipping something even remotely heavy to Australia! Oh wait, you know exactly what that's like...

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Almost there! Just a few things left to do before the real work begins (doing the transplant)! All accessories are installed, just need to torque everything down.

There's a minor concern with the AC bracket. The stock Supra engine mounts are on the middle of the engine, while the Cressida ones are toward the front. The cressie AC bracket is almost the same shape as the supra one but has one bolt mount staggered as it fits over the engine mount. Photos are going to be needed to accurately explain this but the bottom line is that if I'm to use the supra AC bracket (and that's the plan), I'll have to either shave a bit of material off it or have the bracket and thereby the AC pully not quite square with the crank pully. Again, pic will help explain this. Just have to take them and post them!

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
looks awsome micky! slightly different than that paper weight you started with. Looking forward to hearing how it runs when installed and seeing more pics!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I know how that goes. Progress has stopped on mine because my wife and I just sold our house and have moved into a new place. Got it relocated without incedent so I can start working on it very soon.

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Bracket obtained! Plus a slew of other parts as well! The motor mounts on an MX-83 are alloy though and much thicker than my stamped steel ones. I might have to use a few head bolt washers as spacers...

Pics coming as soon as we get our broadband back up at the new place. Thanks to everyone who's still watching and taking an interest!

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
Sorry, no the AC compressor bracket! Should have specified. Send me whatever you've already organised. If I end up with two of anything, well, that never hurt anyone did it?

mickyg

7MGE MX-73
Sep 15, 2005
Melbourne AU
I fear I've just confused this further - stupid text based communication ;)

What I meant to say is that I obtained the AC bracket - don't worry about sending that! Just go by the list I sent you last time. If you have it, sweet. If not, no biggie man. In fact, I'll dig up the list and post it here to make it easier!

EDIT:
Wow! Just went through the online EPC and man things get confusing when searching for "throttle"! The "list" is a fluid thing it would seem. So in addition to the ECU, I was after the following:
1. the bracket that holds the tranny cable off the head (no idea what part number) - just before it ties into the actual throttle linkage on the TB
2. the bracket that holds the throttle cable in the same way - I know there's this bizare linkage thingo for LHD cars, so a pic wouldn't hurt
3. the brackets that hold the TB off the head (but only the exhaust side ones - I've got the ones on the intake side)
4. the throttle plate linkage where the cables attach to the TB (pics would help here as well)

The reason I'm after pics is because of the LHD thing. There's a very good chance none of my stuff will adapt due to the 180 degree linkage arrangement. So if you can snap a pic of the accel bracket and throttle plate linkage, that'd be great!

Last edited: