Looking for a reliable/fun daily driver

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
GotToyota? said:
Figit: My Supra was sold weeks ago. It had body damage and a BHG.

-Matt

OH! haha...heh...um.........oops?

(i did read the rest of the thread)

Good luck buying it, it looks nice...and i firmly disagree that if a car is a "sportscar" it has to be driven hard like the sterotypical sportscar. just a week ago i saw an older 240sx....it looked BRAND SPAKING NEW, it had funny chrome wire hubcaps, and an elderly woman driving.

i dont care what anyone says, there are gems despite how many thrashed cars there may be.

and how expensive could a little plastic bushing be? meh...well. that's what test drives, carfax, and mechanics are for.

go MR2! i would have bought one if it weren't for it being a bit more dangerous under emergency conditions and so hard to find in my area. i've only seen a couple mk2's my whole LIFE.... none of which looked anything special (bone stock).

since you guys were talking about celica's... what do you think about the GTS? its 4wd.... so no FWD issues...er at least...performance wise...right?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
ill agree with hells here. get a reliable cheap car. besides, rolling up to a girls house in a MR2 from the 80s looks alot worse than in an altima from the 90s.

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
Figit090 said:
since you guys were talking about celica's... what do you think about the GTS? its 4wd.... so no FWD issues...er at least...performance wise...right?

the all-trac's were the all-wheel drive celicas, the GTS is a just the top FWD version.

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
buy a crx.... they are actually fun to drive, its like a go cart...... as far as reliability well we drove on through the mountains, got it 6 feet in the air ran out of coolant, jumped it some more, drove it through a 4ft deep pond, out climbed a jeep, droped the clutch in 2nd going 80mph and finally drove it off a 10ft cliff......... i got knocked out and the whole unibody was twisted.

but guess what it still ran! so yeah reliability, you cannot break it.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Jeff Lange said:
Uhh... SW20 OWNS any Altima in terms of styling. ANY.

true, but would you rather see your daughter go off with a guy in a sports car, or a mid size sedan. answer not as a car enthusiast, but as a father.

blackgraz

Racecar Driver
Nov 13, 2006
DFW Texas
I want gonna get a MR2 before i got my supra they are just a lil more than i wanted to spend i doubt you can get a "nice" one in that body style for $3500

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
foreverpsycotic said:
true, but would you rather see your daughter go off with a guy in a sports car, or a mid size sedan. answer not as a car enthusiast, but as a father.

What some potential girl's father thinks of my car would never influence what car I was going to buy.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
All-Tracs are great, and in stock form very reliable.

That being said, if something does need to be fixed or replaced, it's EXPENSIVE! Even more so if you're not doing the work yourself. For example: Clutch = 16 hours.

Last time we had one in the shop at work, the guy basically had them do everything that was needed while the engine was out of the car (you have to pull it to do the clutch). Timing belt, seals, some hoses, turbo was sent out and rebuilt, etc. Ended up taking 39 hours I believe, all said and done. That's quite a bit of money when it's $100 an hour. Plus the cost of all the parts, etc.

Not a cheap car if something goes wrong.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
You need to take out so much stuff to get to the stuff you need to fix. It's like they made it pretty tight, but not overly tight on the GT-S with the 3S-GE, so you can work on it, etc.

Then they added AWD, a Turbo, and an Intercooler, plus all the associated plumbing and hoses, etc, etc.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Too bad 240sx's aren't sports cars.

They were an economy car, that just happened to be rear drive.

I would love one, if i got it from an old lady, but I would rather be practical and get a car that will end up saving me money.

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
Jeff Lange said:
All-Tracs are great, and in stock form very reliable.

That being said, if something does need to be fixed or replaced, it's EXPENSIVE! Even more so if you're not doing the work yourself. For example: Clutch = 16 hours.

Last time we had one in the shop at work, the guy basically had them do everything that was needed while the engine was out of the car (you have to pull it to do the clutch). Timing belt, seals, some hoses, turbo was sent out and rebuilt, etc. Ended up taking 39 hours I believe, all said and done. That's quite a bit of money when it's $100 an hour. Plus the cost of all the parts, etc.

Not a cheap car if something goes wrong.

Damn i used to have a 400 hp 88 all-trac, It was a TON of fun, i smoked my buddies evo in it too, but yeah it was a pain to work on and needed more attention than my supra (imagine that).... I ended up parting it out, due to an electrical nightmare from previous owner.

Very cool cars tho.