LED JDM tail lights are finished! Lots of photos

tte

Breaking In - in progress
Mar 30, 2005
Northern California
Very nice work!!!!

For my tastes, I would not mount them to close to the lenses or make them so that you do not see individual leds and when the leds are lit, you would not be able to see each individual light...just round blurred lights.

But great work!!! Good to see people are being very creative.

Cheers,
Roy

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
tte said:
Very nice work!!!!

For my tastes, I would not mount them to close to the lenses or make them so that you do not see individual leds and when the leds are lit, you would not be able to see each individual light...just round blurred lights.

But great work!!! Good to see people are being very creative.

Cheers,
Roy

BUT...thats the point of LEDs lol.... if you want a round blurred light use a light bulb?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
TaSe said:
now does everyone one understand why they charge 1000 @ that site to make them??? + they are DOT approved.... Are these DOT approved?

Great work

considering they are brighter then stock bulbs, and MOST new cars come with LEDs from the factory... i dont think he will have a problem with them unless he lives in Nazifornia. ;)

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
Idealsupra said:
considering they are brighter then stock bulbs, and MOST new cars come with LEDs from the factory... i dont think he will have a problem with them unless he lives in Nazifornia. ;)

True, i don't doubt they will be approved i was just wondering if he took that step. If he did then i'd might even want to pay for a set =P

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
those are tight! thats almost exactly the same setup i was goin for when i build mine. How many leds,resistors did you use? but i was planning for to use the three lines for both turns and reverse instead of the little half section of the turns for reverse like oem..hopefully i can get them to fit for two lines of leds in one section of the turns..could you post how you set up your pwm circuit? im curious to how you set it up if your willing to help fellow modder out.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
I say good job! Not my personal style either but the quality of work looks great! It reminds me of a trans am. :icon_conf

It's nice to see people do something like this and be creative, so plus one for that. :icon_bigg

Duane

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
looking forward to some night videos... lighting time is much faster with LED's than incandescant. Its not just the brightness that matters.

The milliseconds more that a person has to react thanks to the bulbs lighting sooner could mean the difference between the guy behind you shitting himself, and you kicking his ass for hitting you.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
This took so long, I lost track of the hours. Probably well over 50, since I made a few errors as well as design changes while working, and was starting everything from scratch. Definately an evening hobby. I won't be making any more, sorry!

My car is undergoing a widebody build by Randy at BIC which is taking forever, so on-car pics will be another month or two away. I was inspired to make the LED pattern look long and wide to complement the new wide look of the car.

I spent about $300-$400 for parts, using the best quality brands available, since I never want to have to repair anything on these. Approx. 280 red, 120 amber and 36 white LED's were used, with one 27ohm resistor for each 5-LED array. For lots of details on retrofits and a great support community, sign up at http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/ and check out the LED forum. The moderator AZDave was a huge help.

I like the defined look of the new tails on Inifity cars, so I opted to have the LED's right up to the lens, to keep the dots as small as possible. They emit a cone shaped beam and the dot on the lens gets bigger as you move the LED away. It would have been too hard to try to space them evenly if a more diffused pattern was wanted. Plus it would have bled light into the clear areas unless a complex chamber system was built in. There is certainly no room for that on the far edges where the clear bars are. I had to trim a bit even to fit my PCB board there.

Thanks for the compliments! I think its a pretty exciting result and will go well with the extreme theme of the widebody project.

Here's a basic wiring example provided by AZDave. I used the $10 PWM kit from Quickar.com
marker_brake_only.jpg

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
bobiseverywhere said:
Love them and the look of the craftmanship seems great, Did you actually assemble them yourself as well or did you get the components and have a pace do it? where / how did you get PCB board that were curved like that?

Yes, I cut, painted, glued, and soldered all the PC boards by hand, from larger 6x9" pieces. All the LED's, resistors, and wiring was bought in bulk. The boards are flat, I made 3 separate boards to follow the curve.