Just Another Rebuild

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
LOL sorry!!!!

As you can tell from looking at the bearing, something got into the oil flow.

The rings were pretty much stuck to the pistons, which would explain the terrible compression.

Should be able to see a bit of the piston damage. Not terrible from what I can tell but never good. Feels a bit like high grit sandpaper.

The only thing I could think that could have caused this was when I got the intake manifold blasted afterwards I didn't get all of the sand out of the manifold. Gonna drop by Jaws and let me friend look at the damage and see what he thinks.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ohhh my :(

there's been LOTS of media in there Ric .......

I know it's too late now but I actually wash all my parts in the kitchen sink after blasting/coating as the crap likes to hide.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Ooooh, thats a rough one dude!

So what now, new bearings, pistons, rehone, and make sure everything sparkly clean? Might want to check out the oil pump! Are the cams scored at all?

I sand blasted my cam covers, I scrubbed them and blasted them with lots of compressed air... but up under those baffles, I can't know... I might just scrap those covers entirely!

Hey IJ, any way to put the baffles back on if I drill out the rivets? I guess i could just take them to a shop and have them rivet it back together!

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
I dunno if the pistons are shot I need a second opinion. They feel like they could be reusable. There is damage but they seem to be serviceable.
New rings, bearings, hone and I figure it should be good to go again.
Gonna have the crank polished again as well. First gonna get that manifold scrubbed and washed like a mofo. :)

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
Jaguar_5 said:
Ooooh, thats a rough one dude!

So what now, new bearings, pistons, rehone, and make sure everything sparkly clean? Might want to check out the oil pump! Are the cams scored at all?

I sand blasted my cam covers, I scrubbed them and blasted them with lots of compressed air... but up under those baffles, I can't know... I might just scrap those covers entirely!

Hey IJ, any way to put the baffles back on if I drill out the rivets? I guess i could just take them to a shop and have them rivet it back together!
This is what I did. You have to take those baffles out. If you dont I promise you, you will have media in your head. I would not scrap your covers and negate the work you had done arleady. You just need to do a little more work.:biglaugh: Read here. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30168&page=11

Vic man im really sorry to hear about that. Very bad news. I hope your parts are reuseable!! Now you have me paranoid again. Like IJ said, I always wash parts with some kinda running fluid after any kinda sanding or blasting. But this is always a possibility regardless.