Jimi's build update

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Shaeff:
I'll post the findings as soon as I tare into it.

Ken:
Good deal man, glad she's running well, is this one a keeper?

Ben:
Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind, but this could have just as easily happened with a 2J, boost and bad fuel delivery = failure in one form or another.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
jimi87-t;1040992 said:
Shaeff:
I'll post the findings as soon as I tare into it.

Ken:
Good deal man, glad she's running well, is this one a keeper?

Ben:
Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind, but this could have just as easily happened with a 2J, boost and bad fuel delivery = failure in one form or another.

i hear ya man, it can happen to any motor

Jon (Gotturbos?) just blew his 7M from a bad lean condition - melted 3 pistons

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
we're thinking the Maft-pro wasnt showing the right AFR at the time, it was tellin him 9:1 so he was leaning it out and then boooom

we're in the middle of a 1JZ swap on his daily now

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Was this with a LM-1 or what wide-band was it, good idea to all ways recalibrate the wide band in "free air" before a tune. That sucks, I like his car.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
jimi87-t;1041034 said:
Was this with a LM-1 or what wide-band was it, good idea to all ways recalibrate the wide band in "free air" before a tune. That sucks, I like his car.

It was the LC1. I had just calibrated the wideband a few days prior. I had an epiphany today when I realized that an exhaust leak off of the turbo elbow (wb bung located way down the downpipe) could have thrown off my reading. I forgot I even had a leak there.

And this wasn't on my white car, it was on my blue daily. The swap is really moving along so I'm not really upset about it, its even given me an excuse to take some time off of work!

When are you coming back here Jimi!

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Whats up Jon, it's always the small stuff ain't it. I totally thought it was the white one, glad it's working out for ya on the swap. I have no visits planed but ya never know, I do miss having the supra crew around (the only down fall of moving from there), here it's all about off-roading. Good thing is very few ricers out here.

P

Pain_Sama

:aigo::love: Nice bulid much better than i could have ever dreamed of for my 7m

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
All right guys, I guess I should update you on my findings so far.
The HG didn't go from a lean condition like I had thought. I originally thought this because of the way it was running that day.
It appears to be from piss poor machine work on the motor, (no surprise there if you remember my first problems with this "rebuilt" motor) It seems as though the lower timing cover was not machined with the block properly, or the head and block were not machined at all. The leak in the HG is not into the combustion chamber, but it is leaking down the intake side of the block (on the outside), strongest leak point is up near the timing cover. This is with an HKS MHG with ARP head studs @ 90lbs.

So now I am done with this long block, I do not trust the work that JARCO inc did to it, (if any was done at all). I only have a little over 2000 miles on this motor after the "rebuild" and I have had nothing but problems from it.

So I need to find a properly rebuilt long block, either new from a shop or a slightly used one from a member. So all my other plans for the supra this summer are on hold until I get it running properly.

I do have a little surprise coming up that I've be working on for the supra, so stay tuned ;)

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
sucks to hear jimi

i think i have an idea of what you're doing, but im also a lil drunk so i might just be thinking weird

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ben, you would have to be psychic to know, I haven't even hinted at what it could be. (Hint: it's not the EGR ;) )

7Mboost: Thanks man, thats funny:biglaugh:

jimi87-t

Oct 12, 2005
Colorado Springs
Ok, so here is what I've been working on while waiting until I get a new motor.
The reason I decided to do this is because I now live in CO at 6500+ ft elevation, and up here the air is very thin. This does two things to a car,
1- it reduces your HP by about 15% (if you are naturally aspirated)
2- it reduces the cooling effect of your radiator, oil cooler, and IC.

For example, my daily driver is an unmodified BMW. It's cooling system has to work a lot harder up here than it did in TX. In TX the BMWs fan clutch would not kick in unless it was 100+ degrees out or I was running the AC for a prolonged period of time. It was a great cooling system at sea level. But, up here the fan clutch kicks in at 75 degrees regardless of how hard I'm driving and with the AC off.

So with that bit of info, I decided I would help the supra out a little by making and installing some vents in the hood to help move more air through the radiator and help reduce under hood temps.

I attempted to make the molds reusable so I could make a few more and sell them, but just like the fender vents, the molds broke during separation:nono: So in order to make more I would have to make new molds, and considering the work involved and the fact that there would only be a few buyers at a given price, it's just not worth my time to start over, sorry.

The center piece (the flat "bar") is just sitting in the vent, the vent is actually just one big opening and I'm playing around with the idea of adding this center part. I'll have to get some pics without it so you guys can chime in on the one you like the best ;)

So on with the pics.......(sorry for the bad pic quality, I'll eventually get some in better lighting)

p1101622_1.jpg

p1101622_2.jpg

p1101622_3.jpg

p1101622_4.jpg

p1101622_5.jpg

p1101622_6.jpg

Last edited: