I'm applying to UC's.......

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
And i need some pointers now to pick between these. I'm interested in engineering, mechanical and civil so far... I posted earlier on picking colleges in general but now i was wondering for some deciding opinions between the UC's to make sure i dont miss applying to a good school...apps are due 30th. yeah...tomorrow.

i'm probably going to apply to berkeley but since i have one day, i dont have a lot of time to research much, i have to do my essays right NOW...lol. and there's nothing like hearing from those who actually have experianced it. but it is just between these. i just had to post again so people could read my new question.

can you guys help me a bit more on picking from these? i put some quotes at the end for stuff i already found out...and some of these might be ready to knock off the list right away. Again my focus will most likely be engineering.

Berkeley - 12% of students are engineering majors - so far this one sounds nice by descriptions you guys helped with, large selection of majors in Engineering

Davis -11% are engineering majors - even larger amount of engineering selections it seems. and it seems to have more branches within mechanical engineering, including ground vehicle systems and a large selection just within M.E. ..maybe something i'd like? dunno what

Irvine - only 5% eng. maj - smaller selection...doesnt seem to be a huge thing there

Los Angeles - only 6% eng. maj - small Eng. selection

San Diego - only 7% eng. maj. - mechanical and areospace...no civil..kinda small selection

can anybody help me out with picking? Any factors that you know of that you did or would look at is what i want...weather, class sizes namely in mathematical and engineering courses, teacher/studen communication (namely how well they speak english), types of people, clubs, how nice living is, expenses, weather...etc..... comparing it to YOUR hometown and how you liked the transition would be awsome too... someone that comes from a city and moves to berk. might not feel the same as someone from the country...

Merced, SF, Riverside, Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz,all have small or non-existant engineering majors, so i left them out. I included the ones that had significant popularity in engineering.... and 6-7 percent seems to be the cut-off in the book i have on colleges...

ma71supraturbo said:
UC Davis (my sister and a few friends have graduated from it): Price of tuition comparable to Cal Poly, cost of living a little lower. Class sizes are generally huge, professors often do not speak english very well (which makes is even more difficult to figure out whats happening in a 500-person class). You have to be a decent student to get in, coursework is pretty tough from what I hear... Close to Sacramento, not terribly far from the bay area. Lots of clubs.

without mentioning davis or the fact i'm picking from UCs (im not set on UCs but have to decide on some now) tte said this:

tte said:
I'd pick UC Berkeley.

I heard it a very good school. My boss and his friends and some other people I know went there. A good school is good but I think your work experience is valuable too.

90% of the freshly graduated engineers who worked for my boss's company have learnt alot and all have jobs with LockHeed Martin...I am next.
I think its because my boss and his friends were senior design engineers in Lockheed till they started their own companies and besides quality work, that is also the reason we do jobs for Lockheed Martin.

Cheers,
Roy

Last edited:

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
No, i've edited that thing about 6 times in the last 4 minutes...sorry if you missed something.

i am considering other schools and also applying to calpoly but this is an answer i need by tomorrow night, and i can keep thinking about other non-UC and non-CSU schools later.

so no, but there are some i'd like. i know berkeley is on my list but the others are possible...i know almost nothing of them that i've heard from actual people...just the UC book of schools and stuff and that doesnt do as much as a real person can.

as far as why i'm not worried about CSU's...i've already applied to HSU for backup (localish) and Calpoly is the only one i've heard that has good engineering programs. if someone can prove otherwise i'm keeping my options open. i just have limited time.

materchan

Mar 31, 2006
bay area
if you dont want hands on engineering then pick berkely. if you do then cal poly i've been hearing that CSU's are generaly more hands on in the learning expirence then UC's. my pick would be
1. cal poly
2 davis
2 mabye San Jose

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
id say berkely just because my cousin went there.but its all your choice, look into look at the pictures for the campuses and ask people who have been there, ask them how it went, it wont help you if youre going to a good school if you dont like it. so check around before you pick your final answer.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
-----EDITED-------------------

MKIII noob- thats the only problem i need time for essays, and i have to leave now to do them...and i dont have a ton of time for looking at pics. i'll fit it in but its part of why i'm asking, i was hoping for some people that go/went there to post.

Materchan- OK. i'm definitly applying to Cal Poly then. that decision is pretty much made, and they have the largest selection and i have some guys i know that are going there....so it sounds good.

I definitly want to be hands on, but will berkely never let you do your own projects or do hands on stuff? i.e. - is it all just lecture? that would suck to get out into the real world with only paperwork. that cant be...can it?

Sooo since i've decided on CSU's i guess its just between UC's. i'm applying to one of both, maybe two UC's if its worth it.

thanks so far guys.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
oh. i'm just contimplating UC's right now. thanks a lot for telling me though, i have another thread on all schools in general...i had to start another one on just UC's because i figured nobody would see my new post after 5 pages of responce and i need help before tomorrow night.

materchan

Mar 31, 2006
bay area
in our physics club a cal poly graduate came to talk. she got a MS in ME and said the first thing they made you take when you got to college was a welding class and machine shop. that pretty much did it for me im making it my goal to get into that college.

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Unless you have a 4.0 GPA, Berkley is out of the question. If you can get in and you don't mind working your behind off in school, by all means go for it.

Cal Poly was my choice. It is geared toward engineering. One of the few schools that offer aerospace, not aeronautical, engineering. It has a good ME department. It costs much less than a UC, but you don't get the prestige. It also is a comuter college, so it has the small school atmosphere. So if you're looking for one of those big school environments, this is not your school.

But you're probably not going to get in there either. There is a long waiting list unless you can get in with excellent grades, minority ethnic status and live locally. State collages have zones. You can't just pick the state collage you want to go to any more, even if they don't offer your major. I know it sounds crazy, but that is the situation. Of course if you have a contact in the school admissions, you might be able to slide in.

Stick with the UCs if you don't live near the state collage that specializes in engineering. UCLA has a decent engineering department. My advice is to pick a school where you are going to enjoy your experience. UCs have much more to offer than just schooling. If you're just going after an education and you have to pay for it yourself, think a state collage. After you graduate and get your first job, what school you went to, what activities you did and what grades you got means very little to most companies. But what does matter is what you gain and experience from going to school and how it shapes you as a person. Schooling is a background for most engineering jobs. I know a lot of engineers that don't have an engineering degree, and in some cases, don't have a 4-year collage degree.

What UC is closest to you?

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
or. you can go to PCC, take care of your GEDS...and then transfer out. because PCC has a high transfer rate amongst thier students, and the help you to get into the school you want to get into. and heres anouther plus. if you go to PCC, you can park with me, and chopstickz.