I'm applying to UC's.......

suprasport91

GO BRUINS!!!
Sep 27, 2005
Seattle, Wa
Figit090 said:
Well i applied to UCLA and i am seriously thinking about applying to caltech! stanford is on the list as well but it would probably be very difficult, i would be getting in mostly on my personal things than my grades. my grades are good and on the high side but nothing like valedictorian or anything, so i'd be getting on on my personality and qualities rather than perfect grades.

according to univ. websites though, that is something some look for...so i think i'll apply.

you're not too late though, any info on stanford and caltech would be great, UCLA too even because I havent picked a college yet and if i get accepted i might still need help deciding... thats part of why i applied to Davis Berkeley and UCLA...

it'd be great if you checked out my thread on all colleges, not just UC's...since i've already applied.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31420

As far as caltech goes, good luck, its much more difficult than stanford, and them thats much more difficult than UCLA, but you have to belooking into what you need, where you are going and what you plan on doing in life, i guess finance too...either way good luck on whatever happens, and lol at Supraderks Sig, UCLA has been up and down this whole season but whatever the outcome of any bowl game ( never heard of the emerald bowl either...) this season was a success, RIP USC!!!:biglaugh:

bluemax

The Family Man
Mar 30, 2005
Orange County, CA
Cal Tech is considered one of the best technical/science schools in the country. The other is MIT.

You have to be brilliant to compete at Cal Tech. That's setting your sights very high. If you can get in and graduate, you will have no problem getting a job. Stanford is a JC compare to Cal Tech.

I know a guy who just graduated with a doctorate from Cal Tech last June. And one of my college professors graduated with a doctorate from Can Tech. The professor was also an airforce training pilot and a 100% nerd. I read that the graduate program at Cal Tech is no where near in difficultly as the undergrad program.

GOOD LUCK>

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
wow, i never knew that it was harder than stanford. I have two teachers that went to stanford and it seems pretty hard to get in there. its depressing when you want to achive something but because you arent as smart as someone else, you cant.

oh well. i might apply there.

one college i have been looking at these past few days is Columbia's Fu Foundation of Engineering and Applied Sciences in Manhattan...it looks pretty nice... but also ivy league so hard to get into.

suprasport91

GO BRUINS!!!
Sep 27, 2005
Seattle, Wa
My girl is very smart, i was very surprised when she got her acceptance letter to Caltech, it is very difficult there, the first year is all pass/faill tho, so you only need like 70 percent to be doing alright your first year, they take like 5-8 courses however, it is quite difficult, i wouldnt say stanford is a junior college in comparison however, it has much to offer, it is a great school

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i'm applying to stanford; i decided after i heard caltech was more difficult. lol. plus they mention how they dont just base acception on grades, and by their class profile, i seem to fit decently into their stats... i'm not way up there, and i know meeting some common averages wont mean i'll get in...but its worth a shot...you never know until you try right?

i probably have considerably less than a 25% chance getting in, but maybe they'll see something they'd like to have at their campass in me...and they say that it doesnt matter whatsoever, which i believe; but one letter of reccomendation i have will be from a stanford alumnist...so thats kinda neat.
dont think i'm doing it because of that though...if i were i'd ask the other teacher from stanford to write me one, but the two i picked are my math and physics teachers. and then maybe an extra non-required from my band instructor who has known me for 4 years now.

thanks for the insight at caltech. i'm slowly knocking off schools as their deadlines pass and i'm not SURE about stanford but i'm looking at their stuff and i've been there, and its a nice area and a small school - i like that.

the only other IVY league i really want to go to is Columbia Fu Foundation for Engineering and Applied Sciences.... GREAT presentation when i requested info...