illegal mods

PROJECT N00b

XBL: Mkiii DriFt3r
May 22, 2005
honolulu, california
www.myspace.com
ok im not sure if it goes here or not, move it if it doesnt belong here. but i went to barnes and noble today and i read an article in an import mag that was about illegal mods. i was wondering, what exactly can get you busted? what mods can get you a ticket. i know for a fact, that the 1jz can get you a ticket, but how would they know, what tips them off.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
well to make a long story short, anything that is not deemed 50state highway legal and smog legal, then it can get you busted.

A lot of items are actually deemed 49state legal, but are not legal in CA due to emission laws in CA.

Getting busted really comes down to how is checking and how well they know the laws and how much they care.

one example is here in florida it is easy to get away with just about anything being that we do not have any form of emission check or inspection and the laws are very vage here also.

Now on the otherhand, CA would probably have to be the hardest to get away with anything due to the strict emissions regulations and full instection. From my understanding (but I could be wrong), the inspection stations there in CA have alot of info and pictures on each model of car.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
NOS?:( ....It's Nitrous.:(

Around here, the only thing they watch out for is DRAG SLICKS and...NAWSSSS:(. Actually, they don't care if you have NAWSSSS:( as long as you aren't using it in the city.

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
Nope. Not illegal. You can purge all you want. There should be no reason why you cannot purge anywhere else. I think the cops are mostly just concerned that using nitrous obvious increases your power, therefore upping your speed, which would in return, make you...SPEEDING.:(

LuvMySilverSupra

Bay Area Supras
Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area, CA
in california, if you are in an import, every engine mod is illegal.
in california, if you are in a domestic, nothing is illegal.
outside of california, nothing is illegal

wingman

sucka got blammed!
Sep 11, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
i love wyoming...if you have brakes, taillights, one headlight, turn signals on the rear end, and wiper blades (you don't have to have a windshield!) it's legal.

no smog laws, you can run around without a hood, fenders, or bumpers all you want, and if you open it up on a long stretch of highway with nobody else on it the cops will try to keep up with you...but won't pull you over, unless it's to comment on how fast your car is :D

LuvMySilverSupra

Bay Area Supras
Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area, CA
MKIII N00b said:
lets all move out of cali!...kinda off topic but have you guys heard the news about MotoRex in gardena? i know it has to deal with the cops and drug money =X

the owner of it got caught up. has a lot of priors and now a lot of new charges agaisnt him. this was over a month ago, and who cares about motorex anyways? what they ever do for us?

KeithH said:
In California even some factory parts are illegal. j/k - but not too far off

im still waiting to get a modified exhaust ticket in the infiniti. it's all stock, but sounds sporty, so we'll see.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
i live in LA county.... i got my car smogged before the mods... so i'm good for a few years now.

once it comes time for me to get smog tested again, i'll just take it to a shadey place that will pass me for $200 or so.

so far i've put in a bigger turbo, and removed the charcoal canister... other things that will get you in trouble are removing the EGR valve, or installing breathers for the PCV or routing it to the exhaust, etc...