Idling at 1K

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
My car seems to idle constantly at around 1k RPMs (sometimes to 900, and then sometimes is at 1100). I have also noticed that sometimes the car will idle where it's supposed to before it warms up, and as the heat rises, so does the idle...hmmm....

I don't know if this is relevant, but my TEMS have been acting weird lately, sometimes it will get stuck in firm mode after I nail the accelerator pedal, and to get it back to normal mode, I have to turn the car off, floor pedal, then restart... Maybe my TPS??

I suspect the following:

1. Boost Leak
2. Bad TPS
3. Wiring issue
4. Something horrible and unforseen LOL

Any help is appreciated!!

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
Mine does the same some times. But when I push the throttle plate shut with my hand it goes back to 700rpm. I think I should just put some WD40 to the throttle links. You should try that.

BigSeksi

Apr 29, 2006
corona
ya mine idles at around 1k. I have no codes, infact I didn't really think much of it since it isn't hurting anything. Ill get it checked out at work tomorrow and post back here.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Read the trouble shoot in the TSRM on high idle issues. Page FI-18
http://groundsky.co.nz/techinfo/TSRM/07_FI.pdf
(Vacuum Leaks)
Linkage
Codes
ICS
TPS
Fuel Pressure
CSI
Injectors
ECU

For you code 51 guys. it could be the linkage holding the throttle open and keeping your idle high and setting the code 51. Make sure it's fully closed, then if it still has a code 51 (while the ac is off and in park) then you need to adjust the TPS. Once adjusted, recheck your timing settings.

Adjusting the TPS is very easy and has recently been covered several times in depth.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17844&highlight=adjusting+tps

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16716&highlight=adjusting+tps

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15583&highlight=adjusting+tps

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16599&page=2&highlight=adjusting+tps

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Mine is just the opposite. It idles too low for my likeing. It ranges from 575 to 640 according to my safcii. It almost sounds like it wants to die, but it won't. Does that not seem to low? I have 550 injectors and 255 fuel pump, but I don't have a fuel pressure regulator. I don't have an aftermarket fpr. Would a new fpr help?

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
the way i fixed my idle problem from staying at 1000. was i took out the EFI fuse for a few minutes and poped it back in.. its been idling at about 650-700 now. just where i like it. but its only a matter of time before it jumps back up to 1000.. just like it did the last time i pulled the fuse out:p

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
loki2043 said:
the way i fixed my idle problem from staying at 1000. was i took out the EFI fuse for a few minutes and poped it back in.. its been idling at about 650-700 now. just where i like it. but its only a matter of time before it jumps back up to 1000.. just like it did the last time i pulled the fuse out:p

Thats not really a fix then is it :icon_wink

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have the stock fpr, but I haven't bought an aftermarket fpr. If it will help my idle then I will buy one. I have adjusted the fuel with my safcII. If that isn't good enough then what fpr would you suggest? Thanks.

JetJock.....You can't get any simpler than "Open packet, eat nuts.".............lol

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks alot JJ. Unfortunately for me it looks like you wrote it in Greek. I'll check the tsrm and see if I can make heads or tails out of it. I know it all seems simple to everyone else reading this thread, but I don't know what an ISC is. It may be an idle sensor control. I don't know, just a guess. I don't know where it is or how to do the loop you refered to. I will hopefully find something in the search with some first grade pictures in it............lol

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Idle Speed Control...looks like this:

It's on the forward part of the upper intake manifold next to the throttle body...it has a connector going to the wiring harness.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
That was an awesome post! Thanks! Okay, My ISC clicks when the car is turned off, i suspect it is my coolant temp sensor (there is no connector...just pushed the metal contacts together and wrapped tape around them...I need to call Aaron :biglaugh:) althouygh when my car is cold, it will idle at 1200RPMs...and I also noticed a crack in one of the little hoses on the P/S idle up hardline, and my idle will go down slightly when i turn the wheel...not up. I'll try all of that

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks alot JetJock. This time I understood half of it, so that makes me twice as smart as before. Just kidding. I could never understand half of it.

I'm still just kidding. I understood it, but now I have a few test to run on my car. I hated to have to bring you to my level to make me understand something though. Although, remodeling and construction work isn't rocket science, not everyone is as smart at it as I am. Everyone has things that they are smarter than average at. Mine definately isn't electronics on Toyota supras though. You on the other hand seem pretty damn smart at alot of things, so for my sake and others, tell me what you are really stupid at.............Come on, there's got to be something you don't know anything about.

I really appreciate your help, and also JoelW has helped me out alot in the past. This dang computer won't let me give either of you any more rep points though, until I spread some around. I only give rep points to those that help me or others so I'm still reading other threads to see who is trying to help and who is trying to be a smartass.................lol