Idling at 1K

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
i'm not low on coolant, and my temp. gauge seems to work properly, it goes to normal operating temp and everything... i am going to try and get the right connectors for my ECU temp sensor though...I think that is the culprit, the old sensor broke (the plastic connector seperated from the metal sensor) and Aaron didn't have any of the earlier model sensors, so he gave me a newer model one, w/ a new connector, I had to destroy the old connector to get it off...only to find out that the metal contacts were too big to slide into the new connector, and I had to drive my car, so i just wrapped some tape around both contacts and pushed them into the sensor... I'm going to have to get the right contacts from Aaron soon... Thanks for all the help guys! I'll keep you posted!

Last edited:

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
You work with plc5 much in your years?
I did a lot of work wiring them, panduit to sensors, wiring softstarts, etc...
I never did the programing, but it really does help in identifying with the tccs as a simple control device with ins and outs. Thanks for the time to put that into words. ;)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Hi Jake. Yes, I worked with all kinds of PLCs. Allen Bradley 5s, Rockwells, you name it. Up until computers took over PLCs were the heart and soul of machine control and industrial automation. I've done more than my share of PLC programming. And you're right: the TCCS's I/O structure is very similar. I just wish it could be programmed the same way ;)

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
yeah, Not that I went there...
It would be nice to just change parameters...
That's why I love AEM's EMS, My dad is a journeyman electrician and has been working in controls since they first started taking over in the early 70's or so. He owned his own contracting company in the bay area throughout the '70's and '80's, and he got me into doing the wiring.
Anywho, it was incredible to see how similar the EMS was to wiring up panels for automated controls...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks again JetJock for letting me know that you are human. I was hoping that you didn't know everything. Now I know that you just know everything about somethings......jk.

If I'm ever on Who wants to be a millionaire, your going to be my phone a friend, and I'm just going to take my chances on the topic. I think you're downplaying your intelligence just a little to make some of us feel better about ourselves...........;)

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
jetjock said:
I'm sure there are others here who can relate.

I've never stopped learning technical stuff since. It's a curse made worse by the internet.

I never asked permission, I just took everything apart and worried about the penalties later. Sometimes I actually got stuff back together again.

I still crack everything to see what's inside.:biglaugh:

Yeah, There may be something to this whole internet thing after all...

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Ok, I finally tried disconnecting my ISC (I was afraid to before, because I didn't want any wires to break off of the connector, so I procrastinated) I unplugged it while it was idling, and the idle didn't change at all...does this mean that it's toast?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
No Johnathan, it doesn't mean it's toast ;). When you unplug the ISCV it simple freezes at the point it happened to be when you unplugged it, so you shouldn't expect the idle to change at that point. Do you hear it click just after the engine is shut down?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Sigh....you're making me crazy ;). The ISC system works by diverting air around the closed throttle plate. If the idle is high with the throttle plate closed and you cap off the only source of air to the engine what do you think should happen? And if it doesn't what conclusion will that lead you to? Use your bean here....I'm going to sleep ;)

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
jetjock said:
Cars are nothing more than machines and I used to design all kinds of machines for a living. For example, I spent the last 10 years of that career designing machines that make integrated circuits.

JJ, if you don't mind me asking, what was that IC fab equipment you worked on? I'm in the IC business, not silicon but III-Vs (mainly GaAs and InP).

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
3p141592654 said:
JJ, if you don't mind me asking, what was that IC fab equipment you worked on? I'm in the IC business, not silicon but III-Vs (mainly GaAs and InP).

I designed/worked on pretty much everything but photolith. Mostly plasma stuff. Etchers, sputtering, vapor deposition, LPCVD, ect. I also spent time in the design and fabrication of ion implantation and molecular beam epitaxy equipment. Based on all that it should be obvious I'm also pretty knowledgable about high vacuum gear.

Implanters were the greatest challenge from a control standpoint, not only because of the process and robotics involved but also because of safety. As you're probably aware an ion implanter can be a lethal machine. Not that a sputterer or a plasma etcher can't, just that an implanter can kill in multiple ways. Funny how such a "clean" business is full of so much nasty stuff eh?

I enjoyed my stint in the industry. It was different from my prior industrial experience in that I went from dealing with entire plants to stand alone machines, all of which do what they do on an atomic level. Forced me to brush up on my physics so it wasn't a total loss ;)

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
WOW.
If the engine didn't die, that's a huge leak.
But it has a quality idle which means that it's injesting metered air...
Which means...
Wow, such fun...
Anyway, it would seem that your throtle plate is not coming anywhere close to sealing, Johnathon.
You know, I go to school about 3 miles from HP.
Crazy...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
That's a good point on the metered air Jake. It'd be funny if it turned out his throttle is open. Simple stuff.

I miss Corvallis a lot. Neat place to live with great people. Lots of young chix too (with OSU and all). The weather made me crazy though. I still visit couple of times a year so next time I do we could hook up. I usually fly into Corvallis or Albany but I sometimes go into Eugene.