I fucking hate rachael ray

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
Supracentral said:
I worked retail for one week when I was a teenager and that was enough for me. Anyone who faces customers deserves a pat on the back. Customers suck.
Only a week?
That's lucky for you. I've worked a few retail jobs and I never will again.
The general populace in America have proven themselves to be idiots time and time again.
When I go to stores I'm always polite to the staff since I know how much their jobs suck most of the times. When I was working I would give the good customers discounts simply for being cool people, we'll just say that didn't happen that often...

I usually leave at least a 10% tip when I go to restaurants if you're really good you get more. If you suck you won't get much of anything.

L

lanky189

for all the folks saying people should tip better...

no.

I tip well when deserved, I don't tip at all when deserved.

Fact of the matter is...its not my fault that the only job they wanted/could find only pats 2.30 or whatever an hour...if they want to play the chance game of being wait staff and hope they make enough tips to make it worth while...fine..but if i'm already paying 25 bucks for a steak and some fries and a beer...you'd better damn well impress me into a good tip...I don't have money to throw around lke 25 bucks for installing a tv....that's their job..they signed up for it..why should I tip them? I didn't get tips when I worked at Advance Auto...I don't get tips now when I'm working on the web press I work on....These people are not forced into the low paying jobs they take..they choose that profession hpping that they can earn extra with tips...so they had damn well better EARN it..

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
JustAnotherVictim said:
Only a week? That's lucky for you.

It's not luck. It's a choice. ;p

JustAnotherVictim said:
I usually leave at least a 10% tip when I go to restaurants if you're really good you get more. If you suck you won't get much of anything.

IMO, 10% is just not enough for these folks, 15% is even pushing it for decent service.

lanky189 said:
for all the folks saying people should tip better...

no.

Here in GA these folks make $2.13 an hour. If they work a 40 hour week, that's only $85 a week before taxes. And most places take tax out based upon the state minimum wage of $5.15 an hour. Because to take less would make them have to admit these folks are making under minimum wage, and they won't do that.

So that $85 check is actually reduced by the following amounts:

Amount withheld by IRS $4.35
Social Security taxes $12.77
Medicare taxes $2.99
State taxes $12.36

So that's another $32.47 that comes out of that check leaving the take home at $52.53 per week.

If you get decent service you should tip at least 15%. If you don't like that, and think that's ridiculious, it's my opinion that you should avoid dining out, and then serve and prepare your own food.

When you under tip, you fuck people over. It's not right. Based upon your attitude lanky, no one should serve you food because they should choose to do something better. You say "its not my fault that the only job they wanted/could find only pats 2.30 or whatever an hour" - so don't dine out. Since you appear to be of the opinon that anyone who serves you food is subhuman, live up to your own worlds.

The system, the taxes and the pay rely on you giving a tip. If you don't you are an asshole, plain and simple.

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
Actually, tips made on credit cards (and any cash that can be proved), are taxed under gift tax (which is about 38-44%).

And usually, Lanky, waiting tables is a great job for college students especially, as most restaurants are very flexible in their scheduling.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Wow, $2.13 an hour is really low. Minimum wage in Oregon is $7.50 an hour.

My dad told me that you're expected to tip 15%. If I get poor service then I won't feel obligated to tip that much. If I get great service I'll probably tip a bit more. But as a college student in debt I can't really afford much more, which is why I don't eat out much.

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
swaq said:
Wow, $2.13 an hour is really low. Minimum wage in Oregon is $7.50 an hour.

Minimum wage in GA is $5.25 or something like that... but if you're working a tipped job like waitressing, bartending, etc, then the minimum wage for that can be as low as half that, as long as you can make up in tips to equal the regular minimum wage.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
^ Which is why i pay them on how i see fit. If Thy were genuinely nice, and dont make me sit for 10+ minuites with no drink, and if they are hot(female) Mucho tips.

If not. Ill give them somthing, but not as much as a hot wimmin that is nice and gives me soda

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
I agree. If the service SUX0RZ TEH B1G 0N3!!1!1!``1!!1!, then they'll be lucky if they get 5-10%.

I've waited tables before, so I can sympathise with the waitstaff, yet I can be just as critical if I know the place ain't slow, and I've been waiting forever for a refill.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
I'm not a big fan of percentages... I'll usually tip up to the next $X0 amount (like if the meal is $11... I'll just give 'em a $20... a little overboard I know, but I like to go to the same places every week so it works out for me ;) )

HOWEVER! If the waiter/waitress is a complete dickhead I won't tip anything... case in point! I went to Hooters one Sunday to watch a Saints game and I was watching it on one of the tiny tv's. This couple comes in and they ask the waitress to put on a different game...so she does. I tell her I was watching the Saints game on the tv she just changed to this other game and she was like..."ughh... hold on..."

10 minutes later she changes the channel and brings us our food... she brings me the wrong order, so I tell her and then she was like "You're just trying to give me a hard time!" and from then on...she..was..a...complete...BIATCH to me

No tip for her

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
i never leave no tip...(double negative, i know)

if the service was horrible, i leave 15 cents and a note explaining why, such as "you ignored me for 15 minutes, so here's 15 cents"...

if the service was average, and acceptable, i leave about 4 bucks, which is pretty good, since i dont go to expensive ass restaurants...

if the service was great, i walk up to them and hand them a $10 or $20 and say "thank you"...

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
keep in mind, that if you frequent certain places, people on the waitstaff remember.

the old lady managed a pizza hut franchise for about 8 years, i went in every once in a while to help out during busy times.
for "regulars" that tip well, the drivers will climb over each other to take that order, and it'll be the first one to be delivered. crappy tippers, you are lucky if it dosen't sit in the store for half an hour, and then whoever "has" to take it puts it last on the pile. and btw, if you order 50 bucks in pie, and give the guy a 2 buck tip, next week your pie might have a special ingredient in it.i have reason to beleive this happens all the time.

and servers in regular resturants do remember. i rarely have to wait at places i go to often.server sees us, talks to hostess, and it's front of the line.same thing with the guy that does my hair.

you really want good service, try pre-tipping. i do this when i have more than just immediate family with me, tossing the guy 20-30 bucks BEFORE the meal goes a long way, you aren't going to have an empty glass in front of you...ever

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
im in college, and i always tip at least 15%. great service and you could see up to 20-25% tip. granted that most of the places i eat dont give great service, but it has been done before.

trucker said:
you really want good service, try pre-tipping. i do this when i have more than just immediate family with me, tossing the guy 20-30 bucks BEFORE the meal goes a long way, you aren't going to have an empty glass in front of you...ever

great idea. ill remember that

RHDMK3

that's it!
Sep 30, 2006
Salem, Oregon
Here in Japan it isnt customary to tip. lucky me:):) But when I am back in the US I always tip 15%, unless it's crappy service. Then it's like 2%. Nothing is more insulting then getting a quarter or two as a tip:):):)

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
RHDMK3 said:
Here in Japan it isnt customary to tip. lucky me:):) But when I am back in the US I always tip 15%, unless it's crappy service. Then it's like 2%. Nothing is more insulting then getting a quarter or two as a tip:):):)

no tip is pretty insulting....

Jun 6, 2006
Amerika
www.dreamertheresa.com
SupraDerk said:
I'm not a big fan of percentages... I'll usually tip up to the next $X0 amount (like if the meal is $11... I'll just give 'em a $20... a little overboard I know, but I like to go to the same places every week so it works out for me ;) )

What if it's a $38 dollar tab? Are you just going to leave $40?

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Fuzz420 said:
I love me some Rachel Ray :)

Quoted for emphasis

And o.t i tip when i go out i here min wage is 5.15 but waiter/waitresses make half that so all there money is tips.Generally i recieve good service from the host/hostess.Im polite as possible cause i know the resturant buisness is. And in the end im well taken care of so i return the generosity with a 20%+ tip :)