How strong is the stock rear end?

TargaMK3Turbo

Money pit thats worth it!
Jun 11, 2007
Lambertville, MI
I have an 87 turbo 5spd. I guess it has a 3.91 LSD. I have a set of hard sidewall slicks, 26x10.5x15 IIRC.. Something around there.

If I launch my car, will it grenade the rear end? They were on my mustang before.

Also, my car has basic mods like a 3" exhaust, downpipe, intake, and mbc.

Thanks

TargaMK3Turbo

Money pit thats worth it!
Jun 11, 2007
Lambertville, MI
MKivSupra_Rob said:
alright point proven lol whoever told you it;d grenade the rear end didnt know what they were talking about.

The original owner and a guy who drives a built and boosted civic si.

Well, this is good news then. Thanks

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
TargaMK3Turbo said:
The original owner and a guy who drives a built and boosted civic si.

Well, this is good news then. Thanks

Coming from a person who drives a car that, when racing, changing trannies is considered regular maintenance ;).

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Keep in mind with a clutch type LSD, the clutches are there to slip taking some load. With a gear type, there's nothing able to slip.
Toyota rears are pretty strong, I've read about offroad guys using them for years.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
bunch of 1.5x 60's here too.... Not that the rear shouldn't be checked and gone thru if need be, of course....

Tun_x

Built to do the NASTY!!
Apr 1, 2005
Utah
Your not going to hurt your rear end with that amount of tire and power!! As long as it was in good condition to begin with..

Jason

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
nosechunks said:
if duane uses it, its strong enough.

No offense to Duane, but that's a piss poor reason to think it's strong enough.

Duane could have a fluke of factory engineering, that just happens to handle the beatings better than another.

Personally, I would recommend going through and freshening up the bearings/seals, and well as checking backlash and gear mesh patterns, if you are seriously going to be running with some hard launches.

You will never know the state of operation your differential is in, unless you open it and check it.