How strong is the stock rear end?

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Doward said:
No offense to Duane, but that's a piss poor reason to think it's strong enough.

Duane could have a fluke of factory engineering, that just happens to handle the beatings better than another.

Personally, I would recommend going through and freshening up the bearings/seals, and well as checking backlash and gear mesh patterns, if you are seriously going to be running with some hard launches.

You will never know the state of operation your differential is in, unless you open it and check it.

The OEM diff was refreshed in Duane's car a couple of years after he bought it. (almost 5 years on the rebuilt diff with over a couple of hundred passes on it. (just an estimate) ;)) No fluke there..just good old Toyota parts :D

Datsrboi

Loud pipes Save Lives
Jul 31, 2007
Haltom Texas
www.cardomain.com
I have a question. How strong are the non-turbo rear end then? I am guessing non turbo rear end are nonLSD. My supra was a non turbo with a turbo motor drop in. Clutch is a stage 3 and the entire car is stock for now :)

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
Datsrboi said:
I have a question. How strong are the non-turbo rear end then? I am guessing non turbo rear end are nonLSD. My supra was a non turbo with a turbo motor drop in. Clutch is a stage 3 and the entire car is stock for now :)

You could get an NA with an lsd rear end, you'll just have to look at the rear end. If it is an lsd it will have a sticker on it, unless it has fallen off.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
91T breezen' said:
The OEM diff was refreshed in Duane's car a couple of years after he bought it. (almost 5 years on the rebuilt diff with over a couple of hundred passes on it. (just an estimate) ;)) No fluke there..just good old Toyota parts :D

Exactly my point then - Duane went through and freshened up the 20 year old differential - which is exactly what I'd recommend to anyone thinking of putting any serious power through it :)

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
I know its a rarity, but for the OP, a torsen rear (they are usually packaged w/4.10's from JDM cars - TTR and Turbo A, correct?) do NOT do well w/ drag launching. The worm gears within a torsen don't like shock loading - stick with the clutch type (which all US bound cars came with).

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
well he asked about durability of the rear, obvously a 500 thousand mile rear will be more likely to slip then a brand new piece, but generally speaking the MK3 Clutch type differential is very strong, and in rare instances do people break them.

rebuilding a rear wont make the metal less likely to shear, just less likely to slip.

Duane is using the same 20 year old Toyota factory carrier and hard parts, witch are handling the use. unless by freshening up you mean he replaced the carrier and other parts as well.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
bwest said:
I know its a rarity, but for the OP, a torsen rear (they are usually packaged w/4.10's from JDM cars - TTR and Turbo A, correct?) do NOT do well w/ drag launching. The worm gears within a torsen don't like shock loading - stick with the clutch type (which all US bound cars came with).

Rare? I've got two sitting in the garage. One 4.10 and the 3.73 I'm building :naughty:
I'll probably sell one vs. swapping for different tracks but I wouldn't recommend the torsen for drag launching.

The problem with clutch types is the clutches wear over time/use. This leads to reduce torque bias and slipping. The work and parts are not cheap although the part still works just slips more than intended like my 3.93 has been doing for a while.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
prsrcokr said:
The problem with clutch types is the clutches wear over time/use. This leads to reduce torque bias and slipping. The work and parts are not cheap although the part still works just slips more than intended like my 3.93 has been doing for a while.

id rather my rear wear out and roast one tire while driving home then sneeze parts threw the cover and have to be towed home a distance that takes 2.5 hours to drive. (E-Town, NJ to Long island, NY) Doesnt seem like a problem to me. hehehe :D :thefinger

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
TargaMK3Turbo said:
I have an 87 turbo 5spd. I guess it has a 3.91 LSD. I have a set of hard sidewall slicks, 26x10.5x15 IIRC.. Something around there.

If I launch my car, will it grenade the rear end? They were on my mustang before.

Also, my car has basic mods like a 3" exhaust, downpipe, intake, and mbc.

Thanks

Hey its good to see you finally made it over to SM

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sustained high speed runs or acceleration at high speed will kill the pinion bearings in the G series diffs, not an issue for the drag guys but road racers should be aware of this.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Why would those bearings wear any faster than the other diffs? They're the same P/Ns AFAIK (I sure hope so, they're the only ones offered)
The differences are in the unit itself and the axle shafts, the ring & pinion is interchangible.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I found when accelerating at high speeds the Oil will run away from the Pinion bearings and they only last seconds when this happens... :(

I lost a rebuilt Torsen and a used LSD this way exact same failure in both.

I now run a pump and a cooler with the 9" that sprays the Oil back onto the Crownwheel which in the 9" splash feeds the Pinion bearings.

In a G series I suspect you'd have to drill the case and return the Oil between the Pinion bearings to make them live at high speed.
(sustained 250+ kmh/155+mph running)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
wouldn't the Drag guys have to worry more about that from hard launches? i would suspect the longitudinal G force would be greatest at that point. I guess its not turning fast enough to cause much damage? Couldn't be that difficult to drill and tap the case above the pinion bearings to cure that though.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Chunks: It's more a case fo shaft speed/time without lube that kills them.

I doubt it would happen in a drag situation as you're only at a high shaft speed for minimal time before hitting the brakes and having the Oil rush forward into the Pinion bearings.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
so i guess a twisted driveshaft is out of the question?
so if i launch my car on stickies with a freshened up rear and my w58 (im turbo by the way), the most probable failure would be the tranny?

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Ahh, overseas. I was wondering where you're able to do 150+ for extended times. I've done high speeds for extended periods on the clutch diff but not that high of a speed. Even most straights are ~1500-3000' so it's not that long of a run either. Now if you were autobahn/lakebed racing, that might be another story.

You know the front spindle/plate has groves to keep oil on the pinion bearings, I'm surprised this is a problem. (I'll post pics of the Torsen build soon so folks can see how a diff. is assembled)