Home depot lip

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Ok, I promised to do this writeup a long time ago and finally got the time to do it.

This is IMHO the "proper" way to make and install a home depot lip. Im not going to go into too much detail about the materials you need. Im just gonna kinda let the pictures do the talking.

Cove base comes in a variety of colors and fortunately the bright white is an almost perfect match for toyota 040 Superwhite. Basically what I found with the cove base lip is that without a support structure behind it, it gets ripples and waves in it that I just find unappealing. I started making these LONG before "tuner" was ever in the english lexicon, and have sort of perfected (again, IMHO) the design through trial and error. The overall cost for this lip is in the neighborhood of about $30 and can be installed in a day.

The support structure consists of 3/4" wide predrilled steel strips (called reinforcing plates at your local Home Depot) and a long predrilled steel strip available in the bulk metal rack at home depot. I had to use 2 of the long strips to make up the whole piece. You can bolt them together in the center or weld pieces on the ends like I did. The short pieces bolt to the stock lip locations, then the long strip bolts to the short strips forming the bottom of the support. Now that i have a welder I just tacked it all together instead of using bolts, but before I bought the welder I just used machine screws through the predrilled holes in each item.You have to form the metal strip a bit to match the curve of the nose, but if you use what I used, then its pretty easy to bend.

It should look like this when your finished. (PS - Please ignore all the bug goo, damn river runs to Eugene :()

hdlip1.jpg

hdlip2.jpg

hdlip4.jpg

It bolts to the stock locations like this. Note: you have to bend the short strips a little to get the drop down at the correct angle. A bench vise and a hammer is good for that, or just use vice grips.

hdlip3.jpg

hdlip10.jpg

After you have the support structure done and bolted up solid, then you just need to cover it. I also found through trial and error, that 3M™ Heavy Duty Indoor/Outdoor double stick tape just flat out works the best and is by far the easiest thing to use. Run a 1/4" wide strip all the way around the bottom of the bumper skin, keeping it as close to the bottom edge as you can. Also keeping the strip straight will make it easier to line up the cover material. Run a second strip at the bottom of the metal stip as well.

like this:
hdlip5.jpg

hdlip12.jpg

Precut a section of cove base material to be slightly longer than you need it. Find the center of the piece you cut, and start sticking it to the bottom of the bumper. I like to use a hair dryer to warm up the vinyl and very lightly stretch it into place, it helps keep the wrinkles out. Just work your way out from the center to each end. removing a little of the tape backing at a time and trying to keep everything straight.

hdlip6.jpg

Wrap the ends around your metal structure using more double stick tape (make sure you heat the cove base when you fold it over otherwise it tends to split)

Thats it, when your done it should look like this:

hdlip7.jpg

hdlip8.jpg

hdlip9.jpg

I originally used the 6" stuff but since I lowered the car it rubbed on damn near everything. This time I went with the 4" stuff and while it doesnt look quite as aggressive, I think it will last longer since it wont rub as much. This general concept can be adapted to different materials if you have access to a good metal shop, and perhaps if I were to do it again I would just go to an HVAC shop and had some slightly thinner stock cut in strips to make it a little easier to work with. Sheet metal generally comes in 4'x8' sheets so I could have gotten one piece and not needed to splice.

If I could find a good quality lip for pre89 I might not need this, but for the price it beats the hell out of nothing!

Last edited:

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Someone get Lam in here! This guy is mooching on his steez!!!!

Doesn't look too bad for what it is. I just don't like the idea of double sided tape securing anything on my car. Not for me.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I've seen it all now Weezl. I've got to hand it to you. You are the most innovative person I know. You're not scared to try and build something, I'll give you that. I think it looks good from twenty feet. I don't know how good it looks up close, but it definately looks better than not having one. It may have looked better if your bumper was cleaner.

How are you liking your new welder. Can you weld underwater yet? Good luck with the next batch of Weezl Wings................lol

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
man when i read the title and saw the first pic i was shakin my head.... but when i saw the last pic for $30 it looks pretty decent, i'd give it a 6.5/10 for quality, but 10/10 for value.... good job :)

the only thing that really surprises me is the sticky tape, I would never think that would hold up to the elements.

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
Bad ass i give props to you, i saw the title and thought it was going to be a pic of someones ugly ass car, but that actually looks decent.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Well, I knew the issue of durability of 2 sided tape would come up. Ive had one of these on my car for 6 months and up to 110MPH and not one issue with it coming off or loosening up. Actually Suprahero, it looks better up close. The biggest issue Ive had with this stuff is it just doesnt stand up to getting rubbed on pavement. Its very soft. Ive tried various options to make the edge more durable, but in the end whatever I put over the edge ends up looking just as bad. So, for the price of it (.43/foot) I just replace it when it gets all beat up.

And yeah, its ghetto...but until someone makes a nice pre89 lip Im gonna run it.

suprahero said:
How are you liking your new welder. Can you weld underwater yet? Good luck with the next batch of Weezl Wings................lol
The welder is nice to have. I wish I had more money to spend for a little more, but it will do the job. Ive only been experimenting so far with flux core wire. Took me a good day to figure out how to adjust the welder to give me decent beads. I can lay down a good enough bead that I can grind off and not leave holes so far. The biggest problem Ive been having is the damn gun seems to be broken. Will only feed wire if you hold it just the right way. (it seems to bind way too easily) So Im gonna take it back and exhange it for another one and see if that fixes it.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I've installed a lot of cove base, but never on a toyota supra..................:biglaugh:

It does look good. Too bad they don't make a pre 89 lip for you guys............lol

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
looks pretty damn good. im with born, i saw the first few pics and went "oh shit, what kinda look is he going for?" but then realized it wasnt finished. looks great.

da89soup

World I Am Gay Blue!!!
Dec 2, 2005
Fargo ND
:bigthumb: Weezl that is great!!!!!!!
Might not be for everyone but for those owners on a budget weezl just saved the day. You are the man!!! Like Hero said your not afraid to try anything and that lip was great. You must just lie awake at night thinking of stuff like that.

tekdeus

Pronounced Tek-DAY-us
Jan 23, 2006
Vancouver Canada
www.bitrontech.com
Gotta love functional home depot projects. Reminds me of the laundry vent under-car ram-air scoop I built this year. Also reminds me of the wood/bondo rear spoiler I made for my 73 corrolla when I was 16!!!
Untitled-12.jpg

Untitled-13.jpg

Untitled-9.jpg

Untitled-46.jpg

Untitled-71.jpg

Last edited:

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
tekdeus said:
Gotta love functional home depot projects. Reminds me of the laundry vent under-car ram-air scoop I built this year. Also reminds me of the wood/bondo rear spoiler I made for my 73 corrolla when I was 16!!!

LOL, just last year I made mounts for my spoiler on my celica out of 2x4's. Shaped, covered in fiberglass, sanded smooth, and then painted...if I didnt tell you they were 2x4's you never would have known.

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
IJ. said:
Would be "interesting" in wet weather.....
Yeah, that would suck if the wood started to rot or expand. Is the lip in your sig the same size as the one in the pics?
-Steve

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
crrider80 said:
Yeah, that would suck if the wood started to rot or expand. Is the lip in your sig the same size as the one in the pics?
-Steve

I think IJ was talking about the vent scoop. edit: bah, he beat me to it
The spoiler mounts were completely encased in fiberglass...so they wouldnt ever see moisture.

and no, the one in my sig was the previous version, but since that was scraping on crosswalk lines (well ok wasnt THAT low, but low enough that it made it a pain to drive) I decided to shorten it to the 4" version. I can now get in and out of my driveway at speeds other than a crawl and at angles less that 45 degrees.

crrider80

Too soon Jr.
Jun 3, 2006
NYC
theWeezL said:
I think IJ was talking about the vent scoop. edit: bah, he beat me to it
The spoiler mounts were completely encased in fiberglass...so they wouldnt ever see moisture.

and no, the one in my sig was the previous version, but since that was scraping on crosswalk lines (well ok wasnt THAT low, but low enough that it made it a pain to drive) I decided to shorten it to the 4" version. I can now get in and out of my driveway at speeds other than a crawl and at angles less that 45 degrees.

They both look baller. lol, how ironic. Thumbs up for brilliant innovation and a nice supra
-Steve