Holset turbo on 1jz?

SLO89MK3

Aug 2, 2006
Mesa, AZ
i told you in the rain 3rd. it was dry when i did it in 2nd tho. burned out all the way down freeway on ramp. letting off and getting back on it again. i gave up and just let off lol.
and the reson why you havent found anything is because not very many people have done it. i did research for a long time, and couldnt find a whole lot. but i still tried it anyway.

My buddy with the gt40 on drag radials had no traction in second at 18psi. at 12 street tires were a joke. might i add at 12 psi he ran a 12.3 :) also the same guy that tried to kill his 7m on the dyno in vegas. put down 405 on 5 cylinders, at no more than 16 psi. i heard a bunch of different numbers of boost, but what i heard from him was wastegate which was 12. mind you the h1e was a bigger turbo than his, for the most part, compressor housing is bigger on h1e.

if you view the pic you will see what it looked like next to my old 1j. i never got it put in :-(. its now in my roommates sc300. with a gt30r. we have lots of projects haha. done 3 1j swaps at this house and in the process of a 2j swap into a mk3. mine :)

Attachments

• untitled.bmp
    600.1 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
so in yur pic its the h1e??? that damn thing looks big

how do they fit tho? some of the pics i see the flange for the turbine housing is squished so it looks like the turbo would sit REAL low i'll try to find that pic.

but they are like 900 NEW!!!! i'd rather get an ITS or precision for that much

edit:: like this one see how squished the flange is to the housing? it looks like it would sit weird on a china man Manifold

6b4a_1.JPG

Last edited:

SLO89MK3

Aug 2, 2006
Mesa, AZ
i think i got lucky. i found that turbo on ebay for 460 or soemthing, and it was a non wastegated housing. so it would clock and fit perfectly. it was considered a performance h1e. Another great thing about it is i asked my local turbo shop if i wanted to upgrade compressor wheels how large could it possibly go, and he said if i wanted to i could possibly do a 90mm wheel :aigo:

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
hmmmm i dunno im thinking about trying it out but who knows i haven't got my friggin engine dropped in

so who knows what i'll do. hell i might even get it running and sell it in 2 months or something.

edit:: 90mm exducer is what im guessing yur talking about....

SLO89MK3

Aug 2, 2006
Mesa, AZ
nope. inducer haha. they can go HUGE on there. of course some custom machining of the bacl plate, and a new compressor housing will have to be done. the turbo already had an 86mm exducer on the compressor side

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
damn anyone have some videos of supras or good cars using these? i mean ive seen a 300 Benz and hondas and mustangs and camaros using them for STS kits but i wanna see it in action on a supra or something good

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Well I got it on there with my adapter. Not much left to do parts wise. Hopefully it'll be running with this in the next few weeks.

Here's a pic of it on the manifold lol...

meturbo.JPG

holset.JPG

BUT WILL IT SPOOL? I have the dividedt4/dividedt3 adapter so I'm utilizing the pulse manifold, 2jz cams, and a good retune going for me. Measurements tell me it'll fit in the car fine. Btw, I paid $250 for this sucker and it's got a fresh rebuild.

I'll update again when it's in the car :)

Last edited:

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
i would if i had money. i can't even afford to buy another set of stock twins to replace my oil splurging ones i have now

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
If I read this thread right, these turbos spool almost stock speed and are super powerful and durable at high boost levels and they're damn cheap. What's the downside? Any videos of these at work?

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Thanks for the pics, Neil. Looks like it'd just barely fit under the hood. Upgrading stock twins- $1500, don't know for sure how much power they can handle. One of these babies ~$500, 25-30 PSI all day, fast spool, hits hard. Hmm... lol

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
I took some measurements and with the manifold I have it clears everything. As soon as I have a wastegate I'll toss it on there and get some numbers. Btw, Vband everything is awesome!

El Nagro

Oct 3, 2005
Lethbridge
How are you going about blocking off the internal wastegate setup?? This could be a nice and cheap way for me to get my car back on the road!!!