Holset turbo on 1jz?

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Keen observation there. Thanks for pointing that out :bigthumb:
The 88-02 cummins is what this turbocharger comes off of.

Hey I was checking out your car I like how clean it is! Do you have a dyno chart on that thing? What cams are you running? That turbo looks like it's a similar size to mine. I'm really interested to see how it operates.

Last edited:

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
Stock head. No dyno charts yet, I put the car on the road before it was 100% ready for power, still fixing other things.

Im running 12psi now, I'm fully expecting to see at around 400whp on that. I'd like to be around 500whp on 93 at 18psi. That might require cams tho.

tturnpaw

Supra Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2007
Everett, WA
Any idea what turbo comes off a early-mid 90s chev diesel? And if they are any good? Ive got one laying around and its actually in good condition.

btw off topic....how many ppl on here are from WA? i mean honestly. I felt all sorts of special considering ron r and kwnate are in my area haha.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
tturnpaw said:
Any idea what turbo comes off a early-mid 90s chev diesel? And if they are any good? Ive got one laying around and its actually in good condition.

btw off topic....how many ppl on here are from WA? i mean honestly. I felt all sorts of special considering ron r and kwnate are in my area haha.

Thats an old IHI. Great turbo if you can get it to mate up with the manifold.

Ric said:
LOL.. You'll wish you got a real turbo when your not hitting boost til 5k

You need to shoosh.

That 12cm housing will make hp long before 5k.

Have you had experience with the Holsets on a 7m?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
You sure seem to shoot your mouth off a lot, Ric.
It works.... it's not a waste of money when you can buy a perfectly fine turbo for $250 that'll make plenty of power.

Someone with a holset meet up with Ric and whoop his car in a race, then brag that you paid $1000 less on your turbo :D

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
supra90turbo said:
or anything at all?

Oh yes, I know what works. Its parts that do not come off a website that starts with E and ends with Y. JZ motors have been single turbo'd since 1993, Why experement with dodge cummins turbos when its already very documented what works and what does what in the world. If you can't afford it, then you own the wrong car.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
It's not about not affording it, but why spend $1100 on a turbo if you don't have to?
It's not "experimenting", it's been done.
Like Jon said, there's plenty of upgrades out there for Holset turbos to make them as or more versatile than any turbo out there.

It's not a matter of being cheap, it's a matter of being resourceful.
That said, I would really like to see you get your ass handed to you from some "cheapass running a experimental cummins turbo" ;)

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
supra90turbo said:
It's not about not affording it, but why spend $1100 on a turbo if you don't have to?
It's not "experimenting", it's been done.
Like Jon said, there's plenty of upgrades out there for Holset turbos to make them as or more versatile than any turbo out there.

It's not a matter of being cheap, it's a matter of being resourceful.
That said, I would really like to see you get your ass handed to you from some "cheapass running a experimental cummins turbo" ;)

Why don't you race me with your car?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Gladly will once it's done.
I'm building it myself, as I can afford it. As such, it's taking a bit longer than if I simply called a shop with instructions and left a blank check.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
supra90turbo said:
Gladly will once it's done.
I'm building it myself, as I can afford it. As such, it's taking a bit longer than if I simply called a shop with instructions and left a blank check.

That's awesome! So did I. Took me 6 months of the car sitting in a shop I rented due to me working 40+hrs a week and not cheaping out on the most important things of a Single turbo install. The turbo, intercooler, and fuel system. The only thing ebay on this car is the universal intercooler pipe kit, which I threw away the couplers and clamps that came in the box and purchased quality ones with T bolt clamps and had all the ends bead rolled at a fabrication shop.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Good then. Unfortunately it's going to take me much longer to get mine done due to the fact that I only pull in about $300/wk at my job.

Bills sneak up fast for me.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
^^^ i hear you on that. im always broke it sux....

i agree if the holset turbo works??? then why the F not??? save money and make the same performance