Free play on the crank pulley?

6o4turbo

It never ends...
Oct 27, 2005
B.C. Canada
* Pics in post 21 *

I've got my timing belt off, lower timing cover etc.

I've got a very small amount of freeplay when I have the pulley itself on the crank, the crank does not have free play, on when I put the pulley on. Again, this is without the timing belt on.

The play is the equivelent to the the distance between the 0 and 5 degree marks on the lower timing cover.

About this big: ---

I know this isn't good... But how concerned should I be?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
If the pulley has wear in the keyway, replace it. I would get new keys too.

If the crank itself has worn keyways, you're basically screwed. The crank would need to be welded and have new keyway's cut into it. The engine would need to be completely disassembled. If you can't get it repaired, you would have to get a different crank.

Or just tighten it and say a little prayer. :dunno:

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
bigaaron said:
If the pulley has wear in the keyway, replace it. I would get new keys too.

If the crank itself has worn keyways, you're basically screwed. The crank would need to be welded and have new keyway's cut into it. The engine would need to be completely disassembled. If you can't get it repaired, you would have to get a different crank.

Or just tighten it and say a little prayer. :dunno:

that or add some jb and pray even harder

6o4turbo

It never ends...
Oct 27, 2005
B.C. Canada
annoyingrob said:
How the hell did you do that?

It doesn't look anything like that, there is no where there.

Like I said, there doesn't appear to be any free play on the crank itself, it's only when I put the pulley on, by itself, without the belt on that there is a very small amount of play.

If I tighten up the crank pulley bolt, and put the belt on, I'm sure it wouldn't have any play... Think I'd be alright?

Thanks.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
6o4turbo said:
Like I said, there doesn't appear to be any free play on the crank itself, it's only when I put the pulley on, by itself, without the belt on that there is a very small amount of play.
The crank can't have free play since it's a single piece. The key way is most likely screwed. Not quite as bad as Aaron's example but after awhile it will probably end up that way. I would suggest you start looking for a new one.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
the key way might be fine try and torque the bolt puley to the correct specs, ive actually lost a crank pulley in the middle of a race on the highway. the key way was fine the bolt had just backed its way out over time. i got a new pulley and bolt torqued it and havent had a problem since, and that was 4 yrs ago

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
annoyingrob said:
How the hell did you do that?

I didn't do that, it's was a customer's engine we tore down to rebuild. That's what happens when you drive it for a long time with a loose crank pulley bolt.
The timing belt drive gear had variable timing like it was VTEC! :biglaugh: