Exhaust manifold stud upgrade

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Aaron, I'm not sure if these are the studs you're using, but the thread in small block chevy rocker arm studs work great for this purpose and seem to be the perfect length, as well. My local machinest can get them with locnuts for about $1 each.
I'm not sure if that's competetive with your price now, but even summit sells 16 studs for about $12, and nuts are cheap...
How much for the bench kit minus the T-handle, cutting fluid and anti-seize?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
figgie said:
IHI

the problem is not ths stud

the problem is the thread count that is course on the head side and fine on the nut side :)

It is easier to tap good course threads then fine in the head. The corse threads are taller so it bites better in the aluminum.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
UPDATE

Because the cost of the parts and time required to drive around picking up parts, I am barely breaking even on these kits. The $65 does not include the paypal fees and the shipping will be USPS parcel post. If you want faster shipping please send an extra $5.

The paypal fee is $1.95 on every order.

I can not ship these kits out of the united states, unless it is part of a larger order and you make arragements ahead of time.

Please include you SM screen name in the Paypal info!

Thank you!

Last edited:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bigaaron said:
It is easier to tap good course threads then fine in the head. The corse threads are taller so it bites better in the aluminum.

ohh i agree 110% with ya :)

I am doing something special and need the beefier studs

and this actually is a perfedct segway into my other question

if the head has been drilled and tapped for 10mm x 1.25 can we no longer drill for 7/16?

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
figgie said:
ohh i agree 110% with ya :)

I am doing something special and need the beefier studs

and this actually is a perfedct segway into my other question

if the head has been drilled and tapped for 10mm x 1.25 can we no longer drill for 7/16?

If you had a 10mm helicoil strip out you can use the new helicoil tap in that hole still. So yes, you can pull out the old 10mm helicoil, drill it to 29/64 with the supplied bit, and tap it for the 7/16 helicoil.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
bigaaron said:
If you had a 10mm helicoil strip out you can use the new helicoil tap in that hole still. So yes, you can pull out the old 10mm helicoil, drill it to 29/64 with the supplied bit, and tap it for the 7/16 helicoil.

good my old head is not junk then :D

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Prices updated with shipping now included!

Three kits, in car or out of car install, metric or upgraded 7/16!
Shipping included is for US only. Please contact me first if you are not in the US!
Paypal fees are now included in the price!

out of car 7/16: $67 SHIPPED!
1) 7/16 helicoil kit
8) helicoils (one extra just in case: murphy's law)
7) studs
7) metal lock nuts
1) 29/64 drill bit (standard length)
1) tap holder tool
1) cutting fluid
1) antiseize

out of car 10mm: $67 SHIPPED
1) 10mm x 1.25 helicoil kit
7) 10mm Toyota oem studs
7) 10mm Toyota oem metal lock nuts
1) 13/32 drill bit (standard length)
1) tap holder tool
1) cutting fluid
1) antiseize

in car 10mm: $87 SHIPPED
1) 10mm x 1.25 helicoil kit (tap, insertion tool)
7) 10mm Toyota oem studs
7) 10mm Toyota oem metal lock nuts
1) 13/32 drill bit, shorty (machine length)
1) right angle drill adaptor (pictured below)
1) tap holder tool
1) cutting fluid
1) antiseize

The shorty drill bit is so you can get that last hole without hitting the firewall.

Shipping included is for US only. Please contact me first if you are not in the US!
Paypal fees are now included in the price!

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Thanks aaron! Got my kit in :)
Although (excuse my termonology) the thread tap didn't quite fit into the.. tool. I had to bend the 4 tabs out a bit, then 'ease' it in, lol, it'll work though but a helluva squeeze

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Jaguar_5 said:
Thanks aaron! Got my kit in :)
Although (excuse my termonology) the thread tap didn't quite fit into the.. tool. I had to bend the 4 tabs out a bit, then 'ease' it in, lol, it'll work though but a helluva squeeze

Really? The tap handle is supposed to be for 1/4" to 1/2" taps but it is a different brand then the first one I used. On mine I just unscrewed the nut all the way out and it went right in. I'll check that out before I buy more of those, thanks for the heads up!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
TaSe said:
sweet is there a in car kit for 7/16?

There was going to be an in car kit, and I made one and shipped it already. The problem is that the cost and time to get the short (machine length) drill bits milled down to fit the 3/8" chuck was just too much. If I was selling a lot of them then I would do it like 10 at a time, but there is not enough demand for it. For in-car the 10mm is a better way to go. I have even done some 10mm helicoils with the manifold on. I can get you the short drill bit but you would need a 1/2" chuck right angle drill that will clear the firewall for the last stud.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Just wanted to say that I got my kit from Big A, and it is NICE! I cant wait to put it all in... The kit is so complete, its crazy... Everything you need, even the drill bit... Just a great kit!

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Did this too, but I was even less excited about the #5 and #6 threads. Working the tap back there was a PITA, so I just took a cheap 3/8's socket, and drove the tap end into that, then used my air wrench to tap the holes after drilling them out using the same orange (harbor freight rules eh?) 90 angle drive for my cordless drill... :)

With power tools, you can knock this out in an hour or less. I used WD40 as cutting coolant/lube. It also keeps the chips stuck to the block v/s going all over the place. (They are easy to vac up with a shop vac when your done.)

If I was going to do this again, I'd get a stainless setup using the 7/16th corse threads on the head with fine on the manifold side. The stainless ones don't rust, but you should still use anti-seize.