*Electronic Boost Controllers*

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ. said:
New question for the AVC-R users!

I've read a few reports that the AVC-R will only work to 1.8 bar/26 psi is this correct and what are your experiences?

never heard that, but I've never pushed that envelope either. That's interesting.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
HKS EVC EZ.....

1 button and 1 knob. The button turns it on and the knob gets adjusted for boost or more boost. With a proper w/g, itll accurately hold any boost you want up to 2.5 bar i believe. Super easy, and it flat out WORKS. It was my favorite EBC, but i had to get rid of it unfortunately because it wont hold as much as i want to run, so i had to switch to an Innovative unit....

I messed with an AVC-R for a bti on a friends car and i wasnt a big fan of it, but maybe i didnt mess with it enough....

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
problem i find is trying to find places to put these new fangles doohickeys and thingamajiggies. AVC-R is a pretty big piece of work (compared to dsbc)
Is the turbosmart one a circle gaguge looking one?
I remember seeing one a while back where you have a switch for low and a high (once you think you are rolling fast enough not to break traction :naughty: ) boost setting. simple yet effective.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
IJ. said:
Mark: Yep just wondering if it's an Urban Myth or not...

Bryan: Thanks!

Looking at the Blitz Dual SBC Spec R as it'll go to 2.4 bar/36 psi

Have a buddy that has the Blitz...nice unit. The dual solenoid design really holds the higher boost levels.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mik: Yep it's 60mm gauge size!

It has a lot of features but is expensive.

JDub: Thanks! :)

------------------------------
Got thinking about this last night and I think the "issue" with the AVC-R is not so much that it physically can't control more boost but that as it uses it's own Map Sensor it's probably a 3 Bar sensor!

Everyone will think right away so what 3 Bar = 44 psi but if it's like every other Map I've played with it will be 2 Bar+ and 1 Bar - so it can read Vacc!

This would give it a theoretical limit of 29.4 psi but in reality probably closer to the 26 psi I'd read reported!

87_7MGTE

SOLD :(
Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
IJ. said:
New question for the AVC-R users!

I've read a few reports that the AVC-R will only work to 1.8 bar/26 psi is this correct and what are your experiences?

no experience, but i read the pdf manual. on page 22 (26 in the pdf) it states:

Desired boost pressure range:
0.2kg/cm^2-2.0kg/cm^2

which equals 1.96 BAR or 28.44 psi

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
87_7MGTE said:
no experience, but i read the pdf manual. on page 22 (26 in the pdf) it states:

Desired boost pressure range:
0.2kg/cm^2-2.0kg/cm^2

which equals 1.96 BAR or 28.44 psi

Whoo hoo thanks for finding that! :)

I bought one this morning and will see if I can get it installed during the weekend!

87_7MGTE

SOLD :(
Mar 30, 2005
Bellingham, WA
which did you go with, did you go with the avc-r? what were the selling points to you? im thinking of upgrading to a better ebc now (just dont like the profec b spec 2). how much boost do you plan to run?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
87: I got the AVC-R as the gear based settings are really what I need in my car!
-----------------------------
AVC-R Settings/Tips please!

If anyone has anything to add please do so as the manual isn't what I'd call "complete" ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Now this is interesting!

Found this in the paper manual that ships with the AVC-R!

You have an option to choose a boost range and the upper limit is 3 bar so 46 psi! :D

avcr5qj.jpg

whiplash

Oct 8, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Hmmm...as the low end of the range never changes, yet the high end does, do you think this would reduce the "resolution" of the data monitor? Would seem like if there were no detrimental effects, wouldn't they just input with the greatest range possible and not worry about changing ranges?

Anyway, I haven't done any gear-based setting on mine, stock ct, but general boost setting is relatively easy. Select desired boost pressure, start with low duty, then take a few runs. If boost stays lower than desired, up duty cycle, repeat till steady boost pressure, and if you go back to settings again you'll see that the duty is now ***, meaning it's learning duty cycle curve itself after that.

trufanatic

THE FLYING TACO!
Apr 9, 2006
WPB FL
I didnt mind to read all six pages but the best boost controller known to man kind and the martians is the GReddy E-01 boost controller/programmer.