*Electronic Boost Controllers*

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ. said:
It was just undrivable soon as you hit 4000 in the first 3 gears, think of turbo car on a wet road then imagine that everyday

At what PSI does it become a problem? You could still have a problem if your wastegate spring is too stiff. What is your current EBC?

I should have my car on the road in a week or two, so I'll be able to tell you more about the gear/boost feature soon. If that feature works half as good as the other functions, the AVC-R is the EBC for you.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IJ. said:
Not using the EBC at all Mark this is just on the 18 psi actuator with a bit too much preload!

Backed it off today and it's nice to drive!

I posted details in my thread

ohhhhhh. If that's the case, you'll love a good EBC.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Ian, I think those controllers with the "gear" option need a pulse signal from the transmisison. (Typical no cable instruments using a speed sensor on the trans that generates a pulse type signal the "speedo" reads as forward velocity.)

Where the MK3 is mechanical based, You'll need to add a pulse type signal generator from another car to use the gear selection from what I can tell.

I've been through a few controllers.

Manual one built on a pressure regulator and bleed valve. Worked Ok, but was not adjustable on the fly.

Blitz DSBC that I used with great suiccess for years. Has pressure reading, warnings, and a few settings etc. Can't remember all the details anymore, but it worked fine.

Greddy Profec E-01. Spent the most money on this, has a great screen, works with my Eman and everything, but does not control boost any better than the Blitz when you come down to it. Also my last actuator rod tension setting is netting me over 20psi cold, and about 18 warm, so the EBC does not do much when your trying to run boost levels near those figures. I need to back off the tension on the actuator to about 12psi, and then tune again, but right now I'm about to sell the bolt on T4 setup, the WHOLE piggyback Eman/E01 deal and go with a Maft Pro and T70 eBay turbo.

I can feel for you on the lost traction deal however. At full bore, foot to the floor, there is NO traction in the lower gears when the boost hits. (I'm finding I'm still fuel cutting even with the Hz output clamped to 1450 by the eman? Weird.) It generally cuts when the boost spikes up to above 25psi however, so it's a good thing I'm running Toulene in my fuel... :) No detonation problems.

I'm going to use the Maft Pro to control the boost, fuel tuning and replace the AFM with speed density so no more AFM issues and placement for me. What I want most is to hook it up to my PLX and let the autotune do it's job. Fuel based on AF ratio is very cool indeed.
I'm still going to route the BOV's back into the intake to keep it quiet and blow over the turbo to help with spool, also not going FFIM at this time. No more money is going into this motor, but I might buy larger injectors if the 550's I have now become a problem. (Thinking more like something near 700cc and let the Maft Pro tune after setting the base fuel pressure so idle is right, assuming that still works with the maftpro in place...)

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Ian, the speed signal comes from the speedo itself.
Page_049.gif

You should ahve no problem running the AVC-R
I love it and wouldn't use anything else other than a standalone, maftpro, etc...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Stanger: It would need two inputs to function speed and rpm.

Greg: My Tremec has both installed cable and a Hall sensor!

Wayne: Correct 1.06 hot! (Can't imagine this thing tighter it would smoke the rears off idle) ;)

Jake: I'm going to give the inbuilt Wolf Controller a try today and see how it goes as there are a lot of parameters I can play with.

It has a boost tune point every 125 rpm so I "should" be able to drop the peak torque so it doesn't light em up so easily and still maintain top end.

This has been a really interesting topic to research and thanks for all the input so far guys!

whiplash

Oct 8, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Heh, sry IJ, went to bed after posting =)

First, full manual if you wanna take a look at it, scroll down to bottom, click free, follow instructions:

http://rapidshare.de/files/19029027/Apexi_AVC-R_Manual.pdf.html

Although I don't have the boost set up gear-based, stock ct and all, the AVC-R requires splicing into both speed and rpm signals, and I can display both of these values on the monitor correctly, thus they could be used. Page 34 of the manuals goes through gear setting. Enjoy =)

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
HKS evc 3. It won't learn a stock ct26 wastegate. Im not sure why. Overboosts in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd like a mother.

Works great on my buddies 1st gen eclipse.

Haven't tried it yet on my external 40mm wastegate.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
RPM signal is obvious. Speed signal is too, once you think about it. Almost every car has some sort of speed sensor, definitely the Supra. Even though it has a mechanical speedometer, the ECU, cruise control, and A/T ECU know how fast the car is going... need to get that signal from somewhere. The speedometer has a speed sensor in it, which gets distributed to various devices.

The AVC-R could be one of those devices. :)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Every Supra from 1979-1992 does. :)

Starting with the MKIV they went to an electronic speedo, but every Supra before that has a speed sensor in the speedometer. Even cars without cruise control.

:)