ebay recirculated DDP - fitment and specs?

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
RedEj8 said:
I dont know if you were talking about me but i did not say anything about this pipe in particular... I was just stating something that has happened to me and one of my friends with a shitty flex pipe(from ebay)..I havnt seen inside pics of the said flex section so i dont know what the quality is.

Yes, I was talking about you, though I reread my post and I came off a little harsh. Sorry 'bout that...

It seemed like the guy who responded to you was a little discouraged by your post, I just wanted to let him know there was no reason for that...

Either way -- sorry for my tone -- somebody pissed in my cheerios this morning...

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
How in the world did you find a picture for that?!?:nono: :icon_razz

LOL, nice work...

I bet you have just been waiting to use that...

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
wait, so there's a huge bottleneck in the middle of the flex section?? if so, that defeats the whole purpose of upgrading from a stock setup.. :\

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
Ok all, let's put this 'flex section' thingy to rest. Where's the experts who can chime in AND add some value to this topic at hand now?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
thechori said:
wait, so there's a huge bottleneck in the middle of the flex section?? if so, that defeats the whole purpose of upgrading from a stock setup.. :\
No no no there is not one when the pipe is new. Really the chances are, it wont happen. The flex does not come with a bottleneck, it can just happen after it has been run on the car for a little while..This is only if the flex section is shitty. I didnt mean to cause a shit storm about this DP. I was just stating my experiences with a downpipe(from ebay) with a flex section, that was on a honda.
The only way we will really find out the quality of this DP is if someone has one and runs it on there car for a while and then reports back. You will know if and when the flex fails and creates a bottleneck because your car will not drive the same. It will be waaay down on power and will run pretty rich because of the restriction. So..someone put one on their car please thx.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
alrighty, well i'm probably gonna be picking up one from ebay soon since i'm on a tight budget and the $60 difference (after shipping) is significant

hopefully the fitting wont be too bad, :0

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
3p141592654 said:
The flex section on a transverse engine takes a beating. On an inline setup like the supra the flex does very little and will last for a good long time.

Phew! Sigh of relief.

BTW~ Can flex sections be repaired? Like cut out old and weld in new?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
my flex section was fine after a good 1K miles

it's a 3" flex section on the inside, and it's NOT just the steel mesh, it looks much like the stock DP's flex section inside (oddly)

mine set RIGHT on the tranny x-member and ALL the exhaust pulses where felt through the floor, made it loud as hell. Had to drop it down and put a dent in it there so it wouldn't rub.

The SS has held up fine, the welds where great (except for the tab), and the tab doesn't seal quite as good as I'd like (I have a full DDP). I modified my stock heatshield to go back over it and it's passes inspection and sniffer just fine (they use a dyno style test here, but luckily they don't put enough load on the engine to open the WG).

It's not PERFECT alignment with the exhaust either, but for half the price...

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
nokills said:
I bought that DP off ebay for 199 + 73 for shipping. I have it on the car now. It doesnt fit onto the back of the turbo easily, had to really muscle it on. The only thing i hate about this DP is that there is not enough room to put a ratcheting wrench or socket over the bolt on the left side of the wastegate pipe.
4q8q076.jpg

It took me a good hour to put it on, maybe it could have been easier if i would have loosened the turbo from the manifold.

I have a cooleeze its the same way. Can't fit the wratchet wrench on the one bolt.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Supra469 said:
Are we there yet? :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Very close, should be by the weekend! I have everything back together except the exhaust. I am waiting for my new cat and Tanabe catback.

wasif

Jul 31, 2007
Oregon
It does not fit, the mesh flex section hits the body, could not get top bolts on, looks like it is bent too much at the bottom, the seller did recomend to go to local welder to fix, bend or refund, also said will discount the price, like every one said it looks really good, fitting is another story. I think it needs to bend 2 inches down before the mesh. Will let you guys know as soon as I get it bent. :)