Doward's 375rwhp Build.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Day 1 was removal of the intake tract, but I forgot to snap pics.

Thus far on Day 2 -
Buildday2.JPG

Upper intake manifold is off, fuel lines are disconnected. Wiring harness completely disconnected.

For those with experience yanking the 7M + tranny, what else needs disconnecting before removal?

So far I'm thinking -
Radiator/Fan shroud/Fan
Driveshaft
Auto tranny crossmember
Motor mounts
Tranny shift linkage

I'm leaving the turbo hooked up, the a/c compressor on w/lines disconnected (one of the things I'm fixing while the motor is out - MY A/C - it is empty, and I want to vacuum/replace the accumulator while in there).

What else am I forgetting to disconnect here?

*EDIT* The power steering system, for one....

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
You should have left the wiring harness connected, would have been much easier to just pull it through the firewall and bring it out with the motor.

As long as you got those fuel lines though thats about the extent of things.

And as mentioned aboved don't forget the speedo cable.

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
Leave the PS on the car, just unbolt the the resivoir from the head and water neck and push it out of the way. That way you don't have to fill and bleed the lines afterwards. Do you have a brown car like me? :wiggle:

-Chris

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah, I know... I just hate to have huge breaks in my work :D

Of course -

Day 3: IT RAINS ALL DAY LONG TODAY. Dammit, no work done today :(

49 steps eh? At least I can read up on what I should be doing :) Thanks to all! Maybe tomorrow, I'll actually remove the engine/tranny.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Day4a.JPG

A/C inlet/outlet both disconnected.
Fuel inlet/outlet both disconnected.
Power Steering inlet/outlet both disconnected.
Automagic blood lines inlet/outlet both disconnected.
Heater core lines inlet/outlet both disconnected.
Radiator/Fan disconnected.
Lower IC piping disconnected.

Next:
Remove driveshaft
Unbolt Speedo lines/Tranny wiring
Unbolt Tranny crossmember/mount/whatever
Unbolt Engine Mounts (looks like 1 bolt from underneath - NICE)
Unbolt Hood
Remove Engine + Tranny :D

btw though - found this weird damper looking thing bolted behind the motor mount, on the driver's side. WTF is that there for, and is it a wear item that I need be replacing?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
2 quick things that will make your life easier...

dont worry about touching the driveshaft...it will slide right out when you pull the engine and tranny out...

instead of removing the hood completely just unbolt the struts and flip it up onto the windshield (put a towel between the hood and the windshield) ...this is also assuming you arent working 100% outside with wind gusts ;) it makes life easier not having to realign the hood when its completely removed.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Leave the driveshaft in? Ha... I would, but I'm swapping to a 5 speed at the same time - so out it comes anyway :)

As for the hood, it needs re-alignment anyway (too much gap up front at the nose) so I've no problem doing that, either.

Tomorrow = exhaust removal, and hopefully full blown engine removal!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
It's funny, I had almost lost the ambition to really work on the Supra again - then I just started doing some small things (pulling the intake) and bam - I'm all ready to go again!

Plus, I saw a ridiculously clean '91-92 about a week ago cruising here in Gainesville, a red one.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Exhaust is out (and soon to be for sale) and the driveshaft is out!

Anyone got any killer deals on an aluminum driveshaft? :D

Lunch break... then speedo cable + tranny crap. Then engine mounts, and she'll be getting pulled!

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ok, the motor mount nuts are off, the crossbrace is off, the transmission speedo cable is out, the tranny crossmember is disconnected (well, loosely held in with two bolts to prevent tippage)

I guess she's ready to come out, as soon as I remove the hood. Grr... was hoping to not be doing this by myself, so I'm going to see if I can recruit some extra hands after 5pm :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Ah HA! forgot to unbolt the fuel line where it bolts to the driver's side mount, as well as that damn damper thing (which is completely shot, btw)

Gonna have to call Champion Toyota here in a few.

For now, I'm trying to decide where to hook up the hoist chain. I'm thinking maybe the altenator bracket would be a good place, but I'm having a hard time finding a good strong point (I could try a bolt back where the throttle linkage bracketry bolts on, but I'm not so sure the aluminum head will like that greatly...

Any ideas?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Maybe I should condense these into one major update, instead of the play by play I'm doing now....

Anyway - OF ALL THE RICOCKULOUS BS I'VE HAD - my engine hoist doesn't fit under the front A arms. I'm going to have to go buy a second jack, to lift the car just enough to get the damn hoist's legs in there to pull the motor.

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
Doward said:
Ah HA! forgot to unbolt the fuel line where it bolts to the driver's side mount, as well as that damn damper thing (which is completely shot, btw)

Gonna have to call Champion Toyota here in a few.

For now, I'm trying to decide where to hook up the hoist chain. I'm thinking maybe the altenator bracket would be a good place, but I'm having a hard time finding a good strong point (I could try a bolt back where the throttle linkage bracketry bolts on, but I'm not so sure the aluminum head will like that greatly...

Any ideas?
Theres a hook right above the alt. and a bracket with a hole in it at the passenger side rear of engine. Hook the chain there.:icon_razz

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
empty.JPG

Yeah, spilled more damn automagic fluid - AFTER it has been drained. Whatever, I've just covered the area in oil dry :3d_frown:

That said!

motor.JPG

It is out :)