Dok's E85 powered 2jzge-T build

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
Have you done the knock sensor rewire already? Sounds like after a fire would be a good time to check all wiring in that area.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Yup, couple times, routed the first set too close to my old sandwich plate and melted 'em :) All the wiring checked out ok, tried my spare ECU and thought I was in the clear but the CEL came on again after about 50mi of driving. Thinking it's the rear sensor as I just swapped the front one to a pre-89 style on my latest rewire. Unfortunately don't have any more pre-89 sensors, although I may steal the one off my 4runner since it looks the same :)

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Another knock sensor on the way, hopefully have it before the cruise on Saturday and can fix this issue once and for all!

My buddy Jimmy made me a WG dump last night, came out pretty good and should direct any future fire outside of the engine bay :)
13094394057orig.jpg

13094394054orig.jpg

13094394042orig.jpg

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Looks good! My WG dump was aiming directly at the downpipe. I managed to squeeze a nice angled piece in there and weld it up.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Thanks! It took some work but it ended up fitting well. Def a little more restrictive than having it open, I'm seeing 1-2psi more on my low boost setting (now ~20psi)...

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Been a while since an update, been busy with other stuff but I've recently started prepping for 2k10, specifically road racing. Got my rx7 oil cooler and a power steering cooler installed after much head scratching (I have a lot of crap in my engine bay for my fuel system) and muscle use due to the pushlock fittings but it's all in. Was going to leak test tonight but my battery is dead, probably from this crazy cold weather we've been having down here in TX lately, 3" of snow today!

Few pics:
p2230048.jpg

p2230034.jpg

p2230041.jpg

p2230035.jpg

p2230032.jpg

Also replaced my busted up CPS and o2 sensor connectors with $4 GM Weatherpak connectors after pricing parts from Toyota and figuring out that just the CPS splices/housings would be almost $50 :aigo:
p2230046.jpg

Also installed a Turbo A duct in my front bumper with Jon's help, will get some pics of that once the bumper's back on. Next up is new brake pads/lines in the rear, pinion reshim, and cleanup of my other 17" wheels in preparation for my $80 Hoosier R6 road race tires:naughty:
bjpy1wwbmkkgrhqihees9ke.jpg

Last edited:

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I see your build is taking just as long as mine. I like your idea using GM Weatherpak connectors on the cps. I will also have to look into them, since mine could use replacing. They still work for the moment, but I know some day it will give me trouble. Looking pretty nice so far.:thumbup:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Nice progress. The front of your car looks like mine underneath it now. There's just no place to mount anything without it being on top of something else.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Thanks everyone!

JMC-just added a little oil at first and then topped it off a couple times after running it for a while until the dipstick showed the right amt. Ended up being ~2qts, not sure if it was low or not before tho. I'm going to change the oil in a couple days so I should have a better idea then.

Got it all back together today and it finally moved under it's own power again after a couple of months :) No leaks thus far...
p2240033.jpg

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
My buddy Josh (#2, I'm Josh #1 :) ) came over last night and helped me fix my broken passenger's seat bolt (mentioned in a post by Jon in like 2008 haha) and fix up my rear brakes. New pads, lines, and a fresh bleed should be great for road racing :)

Also noticed alot of oil on my right rear tokico HP, debating on whether to just buy a new rear pair (fronts have like 5k on them) or upgrade. Thought about maybe a pair of Bilsteins for the rear (and eventually the front) but I'm thinking the mismatched damping rates might mess with handling. Maybe I'll just get some Megan coilovers, 935 has 'em on sale for $899 with free shipping, too bad with as slow as their shipping is I wouldn't have them until July...

Last edited:

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Suspension debate is over, picked up some Koni yellows from shox.com for $380 shipped :) Figured they'd be a nice balance between the Tokicos and $$ coilovers and couldn't beat the price...

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Shox.com may have f'd me on this one, when I ordered they said getting the struts to me by next weekend shouldn't be a problem and now they're saying they should be able to get them to me by the 17th, which is the night before I leave for 2k10... I did borrow Jon's stock rears as a backup plan, looking like that may be the route to go vs. taking my car apart <24hrs before the trip to Houston.

On a side note, picked up a "new" Supra distraction on Thursday:
drz1.jpg

drz2.jpg

It's an '01 DRZ400e I picked up for $1700 with like 200mi on it :) Decided I was ready for something different, hopefully the weather will get nice here so I can sell my Hyosung GT650 and replenish the property tax fund I dipped into to buy the DRZ...

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Wrenched for about 5hrs tonight after work and hit a couple of roadblocks. Got the rear struts I borrowed from Jon installed and my busted rear wheel stud replaced but I'm stuck on trying to get the front pinion bearing out without the SST. If anybody has any ideas on how I could get it out I'd greatly appreciate it!

Also tried to install my new trans mount and the frickin holes aren't lining up so I decided to call it a night. Too bad I'm outta beer, could use a cold one right now...

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
What day you heading out? No S.A. guys are going, so I was thinking about hooking up with some of the Austin guys. I'm heading out Saturday.

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Apr 16, 2005
Austin, TX
www.cardomain.com
Weird, posted an update last night and it disappeared...

Got everything back together last night, had to slot the holes in the trans mount to make it fit, if I had paid more than $13 for it I would have been pissed :) Also decided to just put a new seal in my diff and call it good for now after doing a bunch of reading. Looks like the SST is the only way to get the bearing out without pulling the diff apart and I saw that quite a few people didn't have any issues just putting the nut back on in the same spot after replacing the pinion seal. I went a little ways past where it was and restaked it, no more whine than usual and there's alot less slop in the drivetrain now.

Car is alot smoother and less noisy with the "new" rear struts, really looking forward to getting the Koni's on whenever they actually show up from shox.com...