Costs in 7mgte vs 2jzgte

D

drumminforev

I was thinking, would it not be more cost effective to use a 2jz instead of fully building a 7m? Considering the 2j is already almost capable of what a built 7m is...

D

drumminforev

Right. At least 400whp. With the possibility of more later.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Don't need to be fully built, 7M is easily capable of this.

This has been discussed and argued soo much in the past few weeks.

D

drumminforev

How does u not need to be fully built? stock pistons, rods, fuel, intercooler, oil pump, etc will not handle 400whp on a 7m for long

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
just go 2J if your gonna argue the idea i just find it pointless to fully build a 7M to and have it hold 500whp when you can go 2J and make 400whp on stock twins and then run 700whp on stock bottom end

hell a guy went 9's on stock NA bottom end before name a 7M thats done that.

my
sm_photo_missing.jpg

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
drumminforev said:
I was thinking, would it not be more cost effective to use a 2jz instead of fully building a 7m? Considering the 2j is already almost capable of what a built 7m is...

not sure what planet you're living on, but a good condition stock 7M will handle just as much HP as the 2J. the biggest problem w/the 7M is lack of maintenance.....any 2J you see is quite a bit newer than the 7M in your car w/200k on it.

as for costs, you'll spend far more to swap in a 2JZ-GTE + electronics than it will cost to build the heck out of a 7M.

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
drumminforev said:
How does u not need to be fully built? stock pistons, rods, fuel, intercooler, oil pump, etc will not handle 400whp on a 7m for long

Well for 400whp "fully build" doesnt necessarily mean engine internals. Search and look in the stickies (as told before and in other threads). Its all clearly there what you'd need to build a quite reliable 400whp 7m.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
drumminforev said:

oh really? then why has my STOCK 7M lasted 4+ yrs making 500rwhp? :3d_frown:

see my prev. statements about "good condition"....

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
drumminforev said:

Please find the search button, and do some research...

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
drjonez said:
not sure what planet you're living on, but a good condition stock 7M will handle just as much HP as the 2J. the biggest problem w/the 7M is lack of maintenance.....any 2J you see is quite a bit newer than the 7M in your car w/200k on it.

Even I am at a loss for words about this statement. And I'm never at a loss for words. :biglaugh: I will bow out of this, it could get ugly.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I like them just as much as the next guy. Wish I had more of an opportunity to work on them. But to say a 7M can't handle 400hp... pure ignorance.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Here we go again....

Just go with whatever you want to go with. Research, find what both have done, and go the route you will be happiest with. To hell with what anyone else thinks!!

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
This doesnt even have to turn into a one engine vs another thread. Drummin just needs to learn to search and research again for the answers to the questions he keeps asking. I would bet that if someone had never been to this site before and visited it just once; they would say they saw SOMETHING about what all these engines are capable of. It took me honestly like 2 minutes to go through a couple pages of the faq to see "Write up's on each stage 1-3" Its not difficult

D

drumminforev

Well dark, you can tell me to search all you want but if i dont find an answer then im going to post a topic. Its as simple as that. Now i did not see any thread in here that says "7mgte vs 2jzgte cost comparison"

Anyway.
"Stage 7:
Fuel tuning device and dyno tuning, 375bhp @ 16psi '

Ok, thats just about a fully built 7m. And im talking about more than 375whp So it would be:

intercooler upgrade
pretty much maxxed out turbo, time for an upgrade
p&p, valve job, balance etc machine work
radiator
manifolds
mhg
springs, retainers
fuel injectors, pump
oil, accusump, etc
ems
tuned
r154
clutch and PP and flywheel
internals.

How is that a stock not fully built, please tell me. I would not run stock pistons and rods and run 400whp

Last edited by a moderator: