Check it out, quality shave and color change...Body work is finished!

Kalos

Medic
Aug 16, 2008
Idaho
Hey all,
Haven't been active in a while...I lost the motivation for quite a while. Tonight I decided to start tinkering with the LED taillights again....

p1663283_1.jpg

p1663283_2.jpg

p1663283_3.jpg

p1663283_4.jpg

p1663283_5.jpg

What do you think?

j3r3my

Jul 19, 2010
mass
ive read through all 11 pages and you did an amazing job! the shaved moldings is a first for me and if i had the connection you have i'd most likely do it to! great job

Kalos

Medic
Aug 16, 2008
Idaho
Thanks for the kind words.
I've been trying to decide what material to use as a backer on which to mount my LEDs. I wanted something durable, thin enough to fit inside the "frame" that the lens glues to, and also a material that I can shape to exactly match the curvature of the lens itself. I decided to use the lens as a mold and I tried casting a plastic backer piece....

Materials:
MK3 taillight as the mold
Two part liquid plastic
Aluminum foil
Nonstick cooking spray

p1670244_1.jpg

Wrapped the inside of the taillight in aluminum foil, making extra sure there were no gaps or tears that would leak plastic onto the lens for permanently marred surface...

p1670244_2.jpg

p1670244_3.jpg

Pour the two equal amounts of plastic into one container, stir, then pour into the taillight. Depending on the plastic you use, the "pot" time or amount of time you have before hardening can be very different. Gently rotate the lens so as the plastic hardens, the depth stays even. Once it is no longer liquid, leave it in place for it to fully harden (again, time is dependent on the product you use). Don't pull the cast out of the taillights before it has hardened because the shape will sag.

p1670244_4.jpg

p1670244_5.jpg

I pulled it out of the lens this morning -- its strong but thin, it has great resistance to shear but not to bending forces. That's okay, because it will be sandwiched between the lens and the black "frame" piece and with that support it will never break. I bought this liquid plastic at a local hobby store and it seems to work just fine, though it has a much longer pot life that I would have liked. I have used Smooth Cast 300 in the past on a different project and I liked it's timing better but I can only find it online and its much more expensive to purchase and ship.

Kalos

Medic
Aug 16, 2008
Idaho
Thanks!
So about a year ago I pulled some projector headlight housings from a vehicle at the junkyard for a potential low-rise headlight alteration. Today I was working on the bump stops on my headlights because they close too low in the bumper and I thought I'd see how the projectors look:
p1675795_1.jpg

p1675795_2.jpg

p1675795_3.jpg

p1675795_4.jpg

Clearly, the frame would need a little trimming to get the lights to fit, but it wouldn't take much. What do you think?

Kalos

Medic
Aug 16, 2008
Idaho
I'd be up for that ;)
I think I'm gonna start soldering tomorrow actually. I've been agonizing over the design details, worrying that I'll change my mind after it's too late or something. But I've finally got my design (BTW, no circles) and I'm ready to get started!

Kalos

Medic
Aug 16, 2008
Idaho
So today I finished installing the 3" stainless steel exhaust and downpipe I got from Driftmotion. Wow what a difference! Power and sound are much improved!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1681660_1.jpg

p1681660_2.jpg

Still working on those taillights in my scarce spare time...

p1681660_3.jpg

Kalos

Medic
Aug 16, 2008
Idaho
Seems like the rings are what everyone's mostly interested in.

Easily found on superbrightleds website.