Car feels faster at times?

jeffdemara

Banned
Dec 10, 2007
Vancouver
Hey..
just puttin it out there... does anybody notice their supra pulls harder at random times? what i mean is when you do a 1st 2nd 3rd gear pull for instance... and it will feel kind of underpowered.. and you will do the same thing (same time of the day etc) a few minutes later and it feels like it is pulling so much faster, yet its the same psi etc?

not sure if there is a problem or if its normal?

***before anybody asks, YES this is when the car is at full operating temp.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
its always going to run better/faster when its cold out

colder air in intake

intercooler is colder, cooling air better

cold air = better

i noticed it a rediculous amount in my moms old civic. felt like a dog mid day, and felt very peppy at night

jon_570

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
jeffdemara;988521 said:
Hey..
just puttin it out there... does anybody notice their supra pulls harder at random times? what i mean is when you do a 1st 2nd 3rd gear pull for instance... and it will feel kind of underpowered.. and you will do the same thing (same time of the day etc) a few minutes later and it feels like it is pulling so much faster, yet its the same psi etc?

mine seems to do that..but i think i have some boost leaks cause itll boost up ands itll throw me back for a second then let up..

jeffdemara

Banned
Dec 10, 2007
Vancouver
no its not a boost leak, and its not day vs night
i know for sure at night its much more snappy...
but im talking about during the day say 2pm ... ill boost and it will feel sluggish.... and then 2-3 min later ill do it again and it will pull harder!

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Actually yes for me, however my issue isn't quite like yours. I have a good deal of power LOSS at op temps for some reason when compared to temps in the 140-160*F range, im stumped as to why this would be except maybe base timing issues.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
How do you know you dont have a boost leak? Did you do a check? Most people dont know they have a leak till they actually check. Also your car could be sensing knock at times which is why you notice the power loss.

ethan12510

Sep 14, 2007
Queensbury
turbojuiced;988928 said:
How do you know you dont have a boost leak? Did you do a check? Most people dont know they have a leak till they actually check. Also your car could be sensing knock at times which is why you notice the power loss.

Wouldn't it throw a code then?

teamslow

Sep 6, 2006
New Jersey
jeffdemara;988521 said:
Hey..

just because your gauge is reading at full operating temperature doesn't mean that the car isn't running cooler then it was 5 minutes ago. And are you driving on the same exact road? a narrower road can make the car feel like your going faster because you see object at a closer range moving right by you. Plus playing with the throttle before doing a hard run will help build boost. That is another reason why the car could fell like its pulling harder at random times.

jeffdemara

Banned
Dec 10, 2007
Vancouver
no its nothin to do with the road.. i know my car pretty well and am good with automotive stuff.. :p

the only thing i could poossibly think of is engine temp, or knock? but the engine light doesnt come on ..

probably just has to do with maybe heat that builds up inside the engine or intercooler and just does that little bit to make it seem a tad bit slower

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
Well the engine light usually doesnt come on due to knock unless its a serious knocking. Even very minor vibrations can cause a knock sensor to sense it. Also if your fuel tank is low it could be due to inadequate fuel delivery. Or your clutch could be hot and might be slipping a little?

7MGTEsup

Formerly 'Down but not out'
Jun 14, 2005
England
For some reason my car has always felt flat in second gear, but pulls well in third and fourth :dunno:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
third seems to be the fun gear in our cars...

first has the gear advantage, second doesn't load the engine enough, and third loads the engine harder, building boost and having more fun...