Burning Coolant (BHG? Intake?)

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
I would do it out of piece of mind. I don't remember where I saw it, but I know its either here or on SF. Pretty much anywhere I have a gasket covering the end of another gasket(oil pans, valve covers, etc.), I put a dab of silicone across there to insure a good seal.
Oh yeah, and make sure that the rear timing cover and block are at the same height, making a nice, smooth transition. As far as GTE vs. GE, the only difference in the blocks is oil squirters in the TE, and there is no difference in the rear timing covers. And IJ will say be sure to torque the timing tensioner to 36 ft. lbs, NO LESS, NO MORE!!

JAB89

Supramania Contributor
Mar 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
cuel said:
JKM3141: I know I saw it somewhere, but can't find it. There's a "how to" for the 7m hg. I think what you're talking about is putting silicone where the block and rear timing cover meet. If you miss that step, it'll leak oil there. I thought it was in Supracentral's "Important Links," but I couldn't find it there. It's here somewhere, though....
It is where the block and the cover at the front meet, for both engines. Check the TSRM here:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=EM&P=55

akito said:
I look at the motor in my 87 and SAW the little cap but i coudnt find any on my 89 NA. Tried to look, maybe i should look harder.
I read somewhere on this forum that it was removed in '89. When I read it I went out and looked at my 89 (which was disassembled so I could easily see it) and it is not there.

Last edited:

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Alright! I am for sure that there is no such cap on my 89 motor. Now, i have to move onto something else to source out the leak

Jkm3141

Jul 18, 2007
Rochester, NY
Thanks guys, so basically just put a tad of gasket maker where the gaskets meet, as per the locations outlined in that TSRM link? I assume I dont need to get the fancy toyota seal packing? I apprechiate this guys. i wasn't sure about if the coating was needed for people who put more stress on the gaskets, or metal gaskets. Thanks.

ImperfectSupra

May 19, 2007
Virginia Beach
jkm,,, im having my head and blocked deck and groves cut in the heat ot match the cometic mhg. it should hold better. did u have to deck the head and block too?

Jkm3141

Jul 18, 2007
Rochester, NY
ImperfectSupra said:
jkm,,, im having my head and blocked deck and groves cut in the heat ot match the cometic mhg. it should hold better. did u have to deck the head and block too?

I did not have them deck the block because of costs and the fact I honestly do not think it needs it. I am going with an OEM style gasket (yes a MHG is better in the long run but still...) and therefor only the head needed decking. I got a lot of other head work done since it desperately needed a valve job and pressure test and cleaning. Look at the surface of the block after you take the head off and clean it with a flat edged scraper (like a putty scraper thing) and then judge it.

EDIT: looking at your photobucket pics (me = bored) i saw that u have a MHG. Definattly get the blocked.