Burning Coolant (BHG? Intake?)

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
When the hose at the back of the head broke there were puddles of coolant right below the Y exhaust pipe. But now there are no puddles at all, that what makes it hard for me to find the leak. I'll check into that rubber cap you're talking about later today.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
A little white smoke at start up could be condensation. Since you are smelling the antifreeze I would suggest getting a pressure tester and looking for an external leak that way. That little bypass cap is a PITA to replace in car. I dont think I cussed it enough when I replaced mine.

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I look at the motor in my 87 and SAW the little cap but i coudnt find any on my 89 NA. Tried to look, maybe i should look harder.

Last edited:

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
akito said:
I look at the motor in my blown beating 87 and SAW the little cap but i coudnt find any on my 89 NA. Tried to look, maybe i should look harder.
It's back by #6, runs off the pipe that goes around the head. It's below the header.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
One of the first things I had to replace on my N/A supra(long list). PITA! Why did toyota put rubber by the exhaust manifold anyway?

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Well, it would be fucked up 20 years later so our supras had to be towed in. Dealer ships make money!! Man im telling you, they planned this all a long.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Actually the cap is the easiest of the rubber at the back of the head. The hardest is a draw between the elbow right above the cap going to the back of the head or the outlet from the heater core. I made some really good noises that night while changing those hoses.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Turbo gets an extra one below the t-stat housing 1 inch fron the manifold behind the ps resovoir. little 90 degree elbow from hell just like the one at the back. Had a leaky one took me an hour of searching the bay before I saw the damn thing. I thought I had a crack somewhere at first!:runaway:

Jkm3141

Jul 18, 2007
Rochester, NY
Be glad that you might have to take the Exhaust Manifold off. I would rather do that ANY day over the complete intake manifold (shudders). The exhaust at least on my 7M swapped into the MK2 is so much easier it's not even funny.

By the way, ImperfectSupra, I am planning on finishing the BHG job this coming weekend (rained out last weekend). I got the head back from the machine shop (Got a pressure test, clean, 3 way valve job, valve lash, and decking done. It really needed it....) and the gasket kit and bolts. Friday and Saturday are hopefully going to be a good day for my supra... lol. If anyone has any tips about putting the head onto a GE with a OEM style gasket, let me know. I read somewhere that people use some kind of fluid on part of the head to make it seal better??? whats that all about? is that for GTE or MHG only? I'll post pics up later.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
OEM style gasket shouldnt need any other fluid. Copper-coat was the fluid you are refering to I beleive. Just make sure your block has a clean surface on it also. After a good scraping to remove the larger peices of gasjet material, I use 150 - 200 wet/dry sandpaper around a block sander and carb cleaner to get a good surface on the block. Also spray some carb cleaner down the cylinder bolt hole to clean them up. Blast them out with air and lube the bolts for a smooth even torque.

akito

Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Man, IM for sure i cant find that cap on the motor of my 89 NA. There shouldn't be any difference right, pre89 or post89??? It is right below the coolant line that runs below the exhaust mani. There is a visible cap on my 87 NA motor. There is no cap on this one. Im frustrated.:icon_evil :cry:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
JKM3141: I know I saw it somewhere, but can't find it. There's a "how to" for the 7m hg. I think what you're talking about is putting silicone where the block and rear timing cover meet. If you miss that step, it'll leak oil there. I thought it was in Supracentral's "Important Links," but I couldn't find it there. It's here somewhere, though....

Jkm3141

Jul 18, 2007
Rochester, NY
cuel said:
JKM3141: I know I saw it somewhere, but can't find it. There's a "how to" for the 7m hg. I think what you're talking about is putting silicone where the block and rear timing cover meet. If you miss that step, it'll leak oil there. I thought it was in Supracentral's "Important Links," but I couldn't find it there. It's here somewhere, though....

Yea thats kinda what I was worring about. However, that might be for the GTE's. Id love some advice on this, because I cannot for the life of me find it.

EDIT: Find it for the GE...

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Jkm3141 said:
Yea thats kinda what I was worring about. However, that might be for the GTE's. Id love some advice on this, because I cannot for the life of me find it.

EDIT: Find it for the GE...
You have to put a dab of sealant were the block meets the rear timing cover.