Broke off my flywheel bolts 7M torque FTW!

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
As some may know I was on my way down to RREV to do some little things completed on the Supra. I heard a noise that was like WTF? I pulled over and found it was from the trans. I turned around and it went away. I was at Nate's house and again was no noise. To keep a long story short I drove home and heard noise again.:aigo: SO I stopped and couldn't get car is gear anymore. I let it idle and went to cross the border (pushing my car with my buddy LOL) Yes I did actually push it but kept it running to let them know it was actually a running car. After getting hassled for over an hour, ( We bump started the car and left it in 2nd and just drove slow with hazards on. Guess what? I got pulled over by the cops! LOL We get home after a 3 hour drive turned in to 6 and parked it. Next day with the help of Dave aka Grimjack pulled out trans and to find out that 2 bolts broke off in the crank and 2 in bell housing. It was only 1 left holding on and that was obviously the noise. The bolts came out nice with an easy out and no damage but to say the least

GET ARP's for your set-up :biglaugh: That is one of the parts I missed that would be ARP on my car.

7M TORQUE FTW > 690RWTQ to be exact :biglaugh:

Duane

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
that is very odd

that all of them broke cetp 1 usley when you have eghough porwe they will all break that how shit happen's

mabye an over turq or re used to many times wiht power drag lanuches ect

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
NashMan said:
that is very odd that all of them broke except 1. Usually when you have enough power they will all break, that is how shit happens.

Maybe an over torque or re used to many times with power drag launches ect..

You don't know me very well. I replace everything with NEW parts every time I take something off. The bolts were new and had 500 miles on them and about 15 dyno pulls. As far as torque? They are to spec as everything on the car. Heck, even my spark plugs are torqued to spec ;)

Duane

Yeah Bry I know...wife would have to agree though. Women seem to change their mind more often than not.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Tearing it down was pretty funny - well, from my point of view, anyway. We're both under the car, trying to get the tranny to come down, and it won't. We knew something was wrong because the flywheel was loose.

So, I persuade Duane that we should separate the pressure plate from the flywheel (we were just doing the 'yank the fork' method). I get the pressure plate bolts out and pry the pressure plate back just a bit, and 5 of the bolts drop into my hand. I look over at Duane and say, Hey, I don't think these are supposed to fall out. The look on his face was priceless - he says WTF?

I was giggling, of course, it's not MY car. 'Course, he returned the favor when I started talking about my turbo... :(

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
bigaaron said:
I told you 1jz's were more reliable! :momaru:

1J's won't make TQ like this ;) You know it has nothing to do with reliability. AAAAwww I could, but never mind :biglaugh:

GrimJack said:
Tearing it down was pretty funny - well, from my point of view, anyway. We're both under the car, trying to get the tranny to come down, and it won't. We knew something was wrong because the flywheel was loose.

So, I persuade Duane that we should separate the pressure plate from the flywheel (we were just doing the 'yank the fork' method). I get the pressure plate bolts out and pry the pressure plate back just a bit, and 5 of the bolts drop into my hand. I look over at Duane and say, Hey, I don't think these are supposed to fall out. The look on his face was priceless - he says WTF?

I was giggling, of course, it's not MY car. 'Course, he returned the favor when I started talking about my turbo... :(

Funny Dave. JERK! I just didn't believe him at first but when I saw the bolts I was like WTF? :aigo: All in all, everything will be back soon enough. Off to bed, then up in 6 hours, then work for 4 hours head home and will meet you there Dave.

How is your turbo Dave :evil2:

Night all
Duane

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I've heard stories of people getting their legs cut off when a flywheel comes loose at 9k rpm and cuts right through the bellhousing and the floor of the car like a hot knife in butter.

We use ARP's for the flywheel on every build and/or swap, it's not worth not using them. New stock ones are about the same price, and stock ones are only designed to be used once.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Aaron: That was in the back of my mind as I'd seen pics from pre scatter shield days of drag racing :(

(I also loctite just about every bolt on the motor now as 8000 soon loosens em)