Bolt-on Turbonetics shined up and installed *Pics*

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Well I finally got the time to actually install the turbo instead of just having it held on with two nuts mocked up.

Here's what I started with:

p1278438_1.jpg

It's a bolt-on Turbonetics 62-1 T4 with a 4" inlet. Not sure how long they were produced, but both the inducer and exhaust housing sport the Turbonetics symbol.

I removed the scuffed-up, dull, semi-polished inducer housing and took some 0000 steel wool to it to even it out. Then I wet sanded it with 800 grit sand paper. After, I rubbed the housing down in alcohol. It's hard to tell from the first pic, but the letters are painted red. I bought some Duplicolor Toyota black touchup paint and re-did the letters. It took a little bit of time to get them perfect (just did a quick job and then used a q-tip dipped in alcohol to touchup), but it ended up coming out great!

p1278438_2.jpg

p1278438_3.jpg

Afterwards, I took some Exotic Metal Polish (love this stuff) and gave it a good buffing with a cheese cloth.

p1278438_4.jpg

p1278438_5.jpg

Then I installed the NPT fittings on the turbo and the block, mounted the turbo on the manifold, (required a thick turbo spacer and 65mm studs that were cut from 70mm bolts), and installed the hard lines. I had a bit of difficulty getting to the top right bolt on the manifold, and had to remove the wastegate actuator and inducer housing. Then it was a nightmare to get the actuator back on with the turbo installed. I had to jack up the car and go back and forth climbing into the engine bay (to set the screws) and under the car (to tighten them). However, in the end it came out quite nice.

p1278438_6.jpg

p1278438_7.jpg

p1278438_8.jpg

p1278438_9.jpg

p1278438_10.jpg

p1278438_11.jpg

p1278438_12.jpg

I still need to tilt the inducer housing a little more towards the manifold, but other than that, it is done.

Just wanted to share :icon_bigg

Last edited:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Koenigturbo;1278494 said:
Question: wont the touch up paint burn off////

Probably. I figure it should stay on for quite some time tho. I didn't realize how much of a pain in the ass it was to remove the inducer housing once the turbo was installed. When I painted it I thought I'd just do touchups when required. Now, who knows? So I hope it's durable enough to last a while.

Racer-X; said:
Do you have some data? A/R, divided or not etc.?

I wish. I don't know anything about this turbo except that it is not ball bearing, is undivided and has internal wastegate. I called Turbonetics and they didn't have a clue. The only identifying number is on the inducer housing, but it just says "Turbonetics 62-1 T4". The exhaust housing just has the Turbonetics emblem cast into it. Turbonetics told me I should measure the exhaust side, but I never did. I should have tho. :3d_frown:

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I was told I could expect 750hp from this turbo; but from a 62-1, I highly doubt that. I was thinking more around 550 whp.

Does anyone else know anything about these turbos?

jonny87turbo

Dec 9, 2006
ohio
MarkIII4Me;1278941 said:
I was told I could expect 750hp from this turbo; but from a 62-1, I highly doubt that. I was thinking more around 550 whp.

Does anyone else know anything about these turbos?

There was a guy on SF that had the 60-1 bolt on.
He had supporting mods exhaust, upgraded intercooler ect. He put around 370RWHP untuned at I think 15psi.

I have a 60-1 i was told it was a 62-1 when I bought it but from reading and doing some research I think it is a 60-1. Because mine has a 3inch inlet and I think all the 62-1 are 4in. If anyone can let me know that would be great.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
tekdeus;1278956 said:
Thanks for posting! Do you happen to have the sizes handy for the 7M water/oil lines? I'm just about to order the lines for my new turbo setup.

Actually, I just used the lines from my older SupraSport Stage 3 turbo (non-Boss) that I had laying around. Other than needing to extend the 1/8 NPT fitting in the oil inlet, everything bolted up fine. What measurements do you need, line length or width?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
So did you use an adapter to mate the turbo to the stock manifold, or was the turbine housing made to bolt straight up??
It looks great.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
supraguy@aol;1279236 said:
So did you use an adapter to mate the turbo to the stock manifold, or was the turbine housing made to bolt straight up??
It looks great.

No adapter required. It bolts right up to the stock exhaust manifold. However, a spacer is required to keep the inducer housing from resting against it. Supposedly, even the stock turbo elbow bolts up. I'm hoping this is true since I have a sweet, one piece, completely mandrel bent (even last 15 degree bend), ceramic coated BIC DDP I'm planning on using.

p1279254_1.jpg

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Poodles;1279356 said:
I think you'll need the SP61GT version of his DDP for it to fit and work properly.

Why do you say that? The previous owner of the turbo said he was using the regular DDP on it. But I can't really trust what others say. I'm gonna test fit it tonight and see...and cross me fingers.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, bic makes two different versions for a reason...

I remember it being a change of the divider, but I have no idea how different they are, only he can tell you...

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Now I see what you mean. Shit! My pipe probably won't work due to the divorce pipe's small diameter. Damnit! That sucks. I really wanted to use this pipe. I'd hate to modify it since it's such a piece of art as is. What kind of adverse affects can I expect if the divorce pipe is too small?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
jonny87turbo;1279478 said:
here is some info about when I was talking to bic.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74296

Yep, that says it all. I just got off the phone with Randy and he stated just that. The divider on my ddp isn't long enough to separate the wastegate from the exhaust on my Turbonetics. It will bolt up fine but have a huge boost leak. I'm going to take some measurements tonight, but it looks like I'm sending this pipe back to Randy to be operated on. Damn, I'm going to have a freakin $1000 in this pipe.