Bluechulappa's 89Turbo restoration

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Bluechulappa;1171566 said:
*UPDATE

Looks like or shall I say sounds like I have rod knock :/

Sorry... :(. I received the same news 2 months ago. Well, lets revive emm muahaha. Meaner, Stronger, Better, Faster!!!

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Bluechulappa;1172602 said:
Sadly no but I wish!

So how bad is the knocking? I could've sworn in an earlier video you posted that I heard knocking when you revved it.

So what's the plan of action? You know, to pull it and redo the bottom end shouldn't be that big a deal for a young man like yourself. Now you can find all those oil leaks and fix 'em. I think my biggest, and maybe my only, problem is the valve cover gaskets. After pulling my engine yesterday the entire block is covered with oil and the tranny bellhousing all the way back too. With it still hanging on the chain, I saw it running out of the plug well down the back of the head and under the intake. I've got a major environmental problem on my hands. :biglaugh:

You've gotten to experience BHG and now RK. Rebuild and call it good.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
gtsfirefighter;1174068 said:
So how bad is the knocking? I could've sworn in an earlier video you posted that I heard knocking when you revved it.

So what's the plan of action? You know, to pull it and redo the bottom end shouldn't be that big a deal for a young man like yourself. Now you can find all those oil leaks and fix 'em. I think my biggest, and maybe my only, problem is the valve cover gaskets. After pulling my engine yesterday the entire block is covered with oil and the tranny bellhousing all the way back too. With it still hanging on the chain, I saw it running out of the plug well down the back of the head and under the intake. I've got a major environmental problem on my hands. :biglaugh:

You've gotten to experience BHG and now RK. Rebuild and call it good.

Yea I have a whole single car garage to rebuild my engine in. I plan to build it to stock specs but upgrade the oil system and headgasket of course. I have the manuals for everything and some valuable people in the area to help me if I get stuck. My dad heard the knock yesterday and said its time to rebuild hehe:) They have an engine hoist he's going to bring home from their old body shop location that they left behind. I have never pulled an engine before so I think that will be pretty exciting for myself. I cannot wait to pull it and build it and spit shine everything so it looks new! The block is caked in grim and oil and junk everywhere.

We knew it needed a rebuild from the day we got it from having 200,000 miles and sitting up for 9 years. It ran for awhile and got a BHG, fixed that because we did not have ANY room to pull the engine. It's been running strong for about a year since the HG job and now the time has come to rebuild! I'm excited and will need valuable advice and thoughts along the way.

First off. What is the process to pull the engine? I know where to unplug the harness and take the harness out with the engine. What all else is involved?

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
So I hope this rebuild isn't over my head! Going to start prepping my workspace for the engine this week so maybe next weekend it will come out and I can start the teardown... Was talking to my dad tonight about the whole thing and he said we should have done this along time ago. Also said I'm getting engine parts for christmas/bday haha which is just perfect!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
This will be my list of parts for my rebuild. Will be edited and added to as things progress. Suggestions very much welcomed.

OEM ~
Pistons
Rings
Rods
Oil Pump
Full gasket set(may not be OEM)
Metal HG of some sort...(not OEM)

ARP~
Headstuds(check)
Rod Bolt Set

Machine Work~
Head and Block resurfaced for MHG
Crank Hyper polished

Turbo~
Rebuilt 57 trim ct26 from driftmotion

Help me with things I need to add or don't need. I want to eventually be able to run 450rwhp one day.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Ah ha! Found this hiding in my garage. Had no idea I had a new oil pump yet. Shh must be bday surprise!

p1183561_1.jpg

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Have your pistons checked first. You might be able to reuse them.

Get an OEM full gasket set. You can't beat Toyota on their quality.

Machine head and block for sure. HKS Stopper is the best($$$) but Cometics are forgiving. I ran a Titan MS mhg on my 86.5 GTE. Either way, you can't go wrong.

57 trim? Going to upgrade your injectors and fuel system too?

Good luck. I'll stay tuned.
I'll be down your way tomorrow rocking out at Metallica.

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
gtsfirefighter;1183925 said:
Have your pistons checked first. You might be able to reuse them.

Get an OEM full gasket set. You can't beat Toyota on their quality.

Machine head and block for sure. HKS Stopper is the best($$$) but Cometics are forgiving. I ran a Titan MS mhg on my 86.5 GTE. Either way, you can't go wrong.

57 trim? Going to upgrade your injectors and fuel system too?

Good luck. I'll stay tuned.
I'll be down your way tomorrow rocking out at Metallica.

Oh I'm def gong metal head gasket this time! I'll check the pistons but will have to wait till I get to that. I may get new pistons and reuse rods

57 trim just cause I want to rebuild my turbo after having 200,000 miles on it. She is still running strong though. And I want to reuse my DDP. Fuel mods are planned for this as well! :)

I will document everything as soon as it gets underway. I may take the engine out at the toyota body shop or the salvage yard where my supra came from and leave the shell there while I build the engine!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Good progress tonight. Pulled the radiator, turbo intercooler pipe, drained all the fluids out and removed the battery along with the ebc hoses that goto the turbo and wastegate. I will get some pics up soon... Plan on working on the car tomorrow finish the prep work so I can pull the engine this weekend!

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
Now on with the pics! Got a lot done today with the help of JDMMA70(Derek)
Last look at how the bay looked running for possible reference...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Help arrived and work proceeded... well kinda haha
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Engine removal steps paper work trying to escape...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

JDMMA70 and his cleaning techniques :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz5epbr0q9w

How it sits tonight. Only things left to do are the fuel lines and engine mounts. Anyone have advice on how to cap the fuel lines? We procrastinated this step all day for fear of getting fuel everywhere.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
Bluechulappa;1193994 said:
How it sits tonight. Only things left to do are the fuel lines and engine mounts. Anyone have advice on how to cap the fuel lines? We procrastinated this step all day for fear of getting fuel everywhere.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Loosen the gas cap to relieve any pressure in the system, and then pull it apart. There really is't much that will come out.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
1. Motormounts are a 19 mm nut and you'll have to get under the car. I used an impact to remove and install them.

2. What Bryan said. Remove the gas cap and let the pressure out. What I also did was use a bolt to plug the fuel line that came off the j tube. Try to keep the lines up otherwise it'll leak, not bad, but enough to stink up the place. Don't smoke. ;)

3. I love Derek's car.